Teavana vs. Adagio?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Do you prefer Teavana or Adaigo?

Teavana
8%
Adagio
74%
Other (Please explain/define)
18%

Total votes: 72

Feb 2nd, '10, 16:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Teavana vs. Adagio?

by enigma_0Z » Feb 2nd, '10, 16:49

First post here. Both stores look interesting, I'm still weighing my options... Mostly which to pick. Maybe someone here can help?

First, preference. Do you prefer Teavana or Adagio?
Second, are they the same company now?! I saw this: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8951 through a google search...

Feb 2nd, '10, 16:54

Re: Teavana vs. Adagio?

by bsteele » Feb 2nd, '10, 16:54

I, for one, welcome our new Teavana overlords!

Adagivana... or Teavagio ftw! (sounds diiiiirty though)

Other- I steep my lawn clippings.

But foar seriousnessly:

That was an April fools joke. That Chip, he so craaaaazy.

Welcome to Teh TeaChats, the 1337 place for chatting about tea.

Feb 2nd, '10, 17:04

by LauraW » Feb 2nd, '10, 17:04

Personal opinion... Adagio, hands down. There's a really, really long thread around here somewhere regarding Teavana. Read if you like, but personally I've never had a good experience with them, either in regard to customer service/personnel/prices or tea.

Adagio, on the other hand, has wonderful customer service, great tea, good prices, and sponsers sites like this - promoting discussion, even if regarding their competitors, which I think is pretty awesome.

Anyway, that's my $.02

Welcome to the forum!

Feb 2nd, '10, 17:21

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '10, 17:21

Ooops, sorry for the April Fool's Day joke. :D

I would think Teavana is the most oft talked about vendor on this forum. Unfortunately for Teavana it is almost always not complimentary.

Adagio is as opposite in virtually every regard from Teavana. Save some cash and go with Adagio.

Feb 3rd, '10, 08:16

by enigma_0Z » Feb 3rd, '10, 08:16

Oh, no prob. I kept looking at that post and something just didn't add up.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Adagio. However, I do have another question...

I've never seen Adagio teas in stores. Things that I read online assure me of their reputation, but nothing "official" such as physical tea-in-hand at the local grocier, etc. I see that they run a wholesale program, but I can't seem to find them anywhere other than adagio.com...

So, how can I be sure that (about Adagio)...

1. Their tea is safe (eg. no lead from China)
1a. Isn't there some FDA thing for imported food items?
2. They are who they say they are

It is particularly reassuring to find physical product outside of the online shelves, but anything would be helpful. I did find their media page w/ articles from various newspapers and magazines... And according to their official company blog Tea I'm probably treating this with a degree or two of too much paranoia, but it's food I'm buying, and i want to be sure I'm safe from anything life threatening. A poor flavor choice is another matter of course. :)

Or should I just contact Adagio directly?

Feb 3rd, '10, 10:42

by olivierco » Feb 3rd, '10, 10:42

Many here have ordered from Adagio, some for some years and every company importing food based in US has to comply to FDA rules and inspections.
enigma_0Z wrote: 1. Their tea is safe (eg. no lead from China)
Would lead from other place than China be OK?

Anyway you don't have to worry too much about tea sold by a well known company. Respiring air in a big city is more dangerous than drinking tea.

Feb 3rd, '10, 11:50

by Victoria » Feb 3rd, '10, 11:50

enigma_0Z wrote:Oh, no prob. I kept looking at that post and something just didn't add up.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Adagio. However, I do have another question...

I've never seen Adagio teas in stores. Things that I read online assure me of their reputation, but nothing "official" such as physical tea-in-hand at the local grocier, etc. I see that they run a wholesale program, but I can't seem to find them anywhere other than adagio.com...

So, how can I be sure that (about Adagio)...

1. Their tea is safe (eg. no lead from China)
1a. Isn't there some FDA thing for imported food items?
2. They are who they say they are

It is particularly reassuring to find physical product outside of the online shelves, but anything would be helpful. I did find their media page w/ articles from various newspapers and magazines... And according to their official company blog Tea I'm probably treating this with a degree or two of too much paranoia, but it's food I'm buying, and i want to be sure I'm safe from anything life threatening. A poor flavor choice is another matter of course. :)

Or should I just contact Adagio directly?
#1 - Lead in tea? I have never heard of lead in tea. Lead in teaware, but in tea? Adagio doesn't sell any teaware from China with a lead.
#1a - as Olivier already responded.
#2 - I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, with the "are they who they say they are"? Yes. They are a family owned and run USA business.

You can certainly contact Adagio directly. Go to the link in the upper right hand corner, you will find the email or you can live chat.

Feb 3rd, '10, 13:23

by Zanaspus » Feb 3rd, '10, 13:23

Only thing I can think about getting uptight over is flouride in tea. As for me, I chew leaves a lot. Something has to kill me, :P

Feb 3rd, '10, 14:03

by enigma_0Z » Feb 3rd, '10, 14:03

olivierco wrote:Many here have ordered from Adagio, some for some years and every company importing food based in US has to comply to
FDA rules and inspections.
Thought so. Thanks.
olivierco wrote:Anyway you don't have to worry too much about tea sold by a well known company. Respiring air in a big city is more dangerous than drinking tea.
Probably true. Good thing I don't live in a big city. :).

Also good to know that Adaigo is well known. I (like I said before) haven't seen their products in any physical store, so they're not well known to me
Victoria wrote:#1 - Lead in tea? I have never heard of lead in tea. Lead in teaware, but in tea? Adagio doesn't sell any teaware from China with a lead.
#1a - as Olivier already responded.
There was a big snafu with food coming into the US from China that was laced with a number of harmful chemicals and bacteria. Of what I can remember, they were melamine, lead, and E. Coli... Just in general, makes me a little wary of imported things.
Victoria wrote:#2 - I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, with the "are they who they say they are"? Yes. They are a family owned and run USA business.

You can certainly contact Adagio directly. Go to the link in the upper right hand corner, you will find the email or you can live chat.
I think you figured it out, but basically, I'm looking for information about Adaigo's reputation. If you have any other information, of course that'd be helpful. Just want to make sure everything's on the up 'n up before I order a food product online. Maybe I'm being too paranoid?

Feb 3rd, '10, 14:11

by AdamMY » Feb 3rd, '10, 14:11

We all can be a bit nervous when trying new vendors, but with the fact that Adagio created this forum, and graciously let us discuss any vendor and any tea, not just them and their products.

But I think Adagio has a slightly smaller supply than the vendors that exist both as an online store and sell their products in other stores such as grocery stores etc...

I also think to keep their costs low they decided to run an only online business, but many people on the forum have used them and have had little to no problems with there products, service etc.

Feb 3rd, '10, 14:17

by LauraW » Feb 3rd, '10, 14:17

enigma_0Z wrote:Also good to know that Adaigo is well known. I (like I said before) haven't seen their products in any physical store, so they're not well known to me
As far as I'm aware, they're not particularly well-known... unless you've bought tea online. If you look in the TeaRetailer forum/threads, you can see that they're planning on opening a shop in Chicago in the semi-near future, but I don't believe they market products for, say, distribution in grocery stores.
enigma_0Z wrote:basically, I'm looking for information about Adaigo's reputation. If you have any other information, of course that'd be helpful. Just want to make sure everything's on the up 'n up before I order a food product online. Maybe I'm being too paranoid?
Check out the Adagio section of the forum - there are quite a number of people I've seen on here who endorse/purchase/enjoy Adagio products (myself included) who would gladly recommend them. I'd personally say you're doing the right thing in doing research before you buy, but you might be a little paranoid.

Feb 3rd, '10, 16:33

by leiche2 » Feb 3rd, '10, 16:33

LauraW wrote:but I don't believe they market products for, say, distribution in grocery stores.
Actually, here in New Hampshire I can find Adagio teas and teaware in the Wild Harvest section of my local Shaw's supermarkets.

Feb 3rd, '10, 16:37

by bsteele » Feb 3rd, '10, 16:37

Okay, just to keep things saucy in here, I had to cast a vote for Teavana :wink:

ZomG!!1! I <3 Teavana 4life!

TFF!! (tea friends 4evur, duh)
Last edited by bsteele on Feb 3rd, '10, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 3rd, '10, 16:57

by LauraW » Feb 3rd, '10, 16:57

leiche2 wrote:Actually, here in New Hampshire I can find Adagio teas and teaware in the Wild Harvest section of my local Shaw's supermarkets.
Then I am (happily) mistaken! I would guess then, that it's only around New England (seeing as their base is NJ). Haven't seen it in Ohio or South Carolina.... Yet!

Feb 3rd, '10, 17:17

by KillJoy » Feb 3rd, '10, 17:17

I don't know that this would be the best place to seek unbiased help in choosing where to order your tea from, heh. I'm not a very good reference for this, but just based on my observations:

Adagio
+ Good Reputation
+ More Varieties
+ Option of Ordering Samples
+ This Forum
+ Easier to Read Tea Reviews
+ Lower Prices
- Popular teas go out of stock more often, and take longer to re-stock.

Teavana
+ Good Reputation
+ Teavana Stores and Tea Rooms
+ Website has beautiful lay-out
+ More in depth tea reviews
+ Monkey Picked Oolong <3
- Not as many choices
- Slightly more expensive (1-5 dollars more depending on the tea)

As for the quality of the teas, well, I've yet to taste Adagio teas (they are coming in the mail), but Teavana is high quality for sure. I assume I'll be equally pleased by Adagio's teas based on what I've read. (Will update when I receive the tea)

I think you should order some teas from both. That's what I do/did.

You could also check out http://www.artoftea.com/
It's all organic, so pricey pricey, but looks nice.
Last edited by KillJoy on Feb 4th, '10, 02:48, edited 3 times in total.

+ Post Reply