Vintage Film on "making a good cup of tea"

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 5th, '10, 23:31

Vintage Film on "making a good cup of tea"

by murrius » Feb 5th, '10, 23:31

Basic principles here from the early 1940's; temperature, leaf, and time. It's rather long but I found in entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvYymrC ... re=channel

Feb 6th, '10, 00:44

Re: Vintage Film on "making a good cup of tea"

by geeber1 » Feb 6th, '10, 00:44

I liked it, but the "tea professor" was kinda scary looking. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 6th, '10, 15:38

Re: Vintage Film on "making a good cup of tea"

by Janine » Feb 6th, '10, 15:38

Excellent.

"Always use a good quality tea. It's cheaper in the long run, for in addition to a superior flavor, it yields more cups to the pound, and is therefore more economical." True as ever. Except when you get into some levels of pricing :-) Why re-steeping remains an important quality indicator!

Overboiled water is de-aerated and flat and the infusion is dull in color and insipid in taste.

Let the tea infuse properly before serving. Natural soft water infuses more readily than hard.

Note no mention of teabags except a very large muslin bag "that must be loose for leaves to expand." Bravo.

What would Ito En say about this statement that you can't put tea in a bottle and serve it later? :-)

I'm very impressed with the emphasis on freshness - especially in wartime under the Blitz, a time of hardship. Really tells you something about the "spirit of the Blitz." The film was made essentially for those working in canteens and help centers during the War.

+ Post Reply