brunch at Dushanbe Teahouse, Boulder, CO

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

brunch at Dushanbe Teahouse, Boulder, CO

Postby brian » Feb 8th, '10, 13:43

Newbie isn't sure if this is the right place to post this, but ...

We had a nice family brunch yesterday at Dushanbe Teahouse in Boulder (my oldest is in Boulder at Univ of Colorado). Dushanbe (Tajikistan) and Boulder are sister cities, and from the story on the web site, Dushanbe artisans built the elements of the teahouse, and then assembled them in Boulder. The result is a central Asian style teahouse here in Colorado.

I'm still brand new to tea, but the tea menu seemed relatively extensive, categorized by green, black, oolong, etc., with country of origin and brief description of each tea -- layout very similar to a typical restaurant wine list. Pots of tea were in the neighborhood of $3.50-$5, some probably more and some less. I let my 14 year old daughter choose one (a flavored tea, cherry sencha) and by committee we selected a Ti Kuan Yin oolong for the second pot. Two infuser-basket pots (roughly12 oz. each?) were delivered to the table, along with a 3 minute hourglass-style egg timer that was already running. The waiter suggested that the sencha basket should probably be removed before the full 3 minutes. We went about 1/2 way on the sencha, and the full 3 minutes on the oolong. The sencha was pretty sweet, I though the cherry flavor overwhelmed any green tea flavor, although my yougest and oldest enjoyed it. I liked the oolong, some notes of smoke and maybe mineral (I'm still brand new at this so didn't know what to expect). The pots were refilled with hot water at my request, so we got a second infusion of each pot, no charge.

Food was good, the brunch menu is an eclectic mix of styles. Lots of veggie choices, and tofu in place of eggs upon request. Service was good, although as the place filled up our water got a little inattentive, but really just a minor nitpick.

This was just our first visit, but we'll be back. I'd say it's a "don't miss" if you live in or visit the Denver/Boulder area.

Info, photos, and more at their website, Google search for boulder dushanbe teahouse if you're interested.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 8th, '10, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved to TeaMap, a good home for this topic. Chip
brian

Re: brunch at Dushanbe Teahouse, Boulder, CO

Postby Victoria » Feb 8th, '10, 13:54

Interesting that you should post about this, I was just talking to duaghteroftheKing about this place. She said they host a weekend tea festival at the end of July or early August. When I go to visit her, we will definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the post!
Victoria

Re: brunch at Dushanbe Teahouse, Boulder, CO

Postby brian » Feb 9th, '10, 11:18

(Chip, thanks for moving to appropriate area, I'll learn my way around here eventually!)

Hi Victoria, thanks for the note about the tea festival. I just sorta stumbled across the Teahouse when looking for tea-things in Colorado, and didn't see any mention of a festival. I'll try to keep an eye open for any updates and will post here as I learn anything.
brian

Instant Messenger

Permissions