Samples, Samples

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 9th, '10, 19:47

Samples, Samples

by Corona » Feb 9th, '10, 19:47

Hello there...just thought'd I'd come to everyone here with a question about my first Adagio order!

Already decided on a PersonaliTea and a nice glass teacup. I was looking through the samples, and since i've never done this myself, I decided to come here. I'd rather not just get an oolong, black, or green sample, so I figured it would be better to choose the best of each, so that I may get a taste of everyone.

So, please, share your favorites! I'd love to hear all your opinions.

(P.S. - Not looking for flavored teas, doesn't sound like something i'd like.)

Feb 9th, '10, 19:57

Re: Samples, Samples

by givequicheachance » Feb 9th, '10, 19:57

My favorite adagio blacks so far are Darjeeling #2 and Golden Monkey.

The only green I've had is the gunpowder, but it's superb (cheap too!)

Feb 9th, '10, 20:10

by Corona » Feb 9th, '10, 20:10

Givequic... wrote:My favorite adagio blacks so far are Darjeeling #2 and Golden Monkey.
The only green I've had is the gunpowder, but it's superb (cheap too!)
Thank you! I will be sure to include these in my order.

Oh my...I just saw the PersonaliTea won't be available until April..that's not good. Now why didn't I order last night.

Feb 9th, '10, 20:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 9th, '10, 20:10

I guess I'd say start with Oolong #18 and #40 for contrast.
Happy tasting!!

Edit: oh there are a couple on eBay if you really want one,
search: 21oz teapot

Feb 9th, '10, 20:39

by Corona » Feb 9th, '10, 20:39

Victoria wrote:Edit: oh there are a couple on eBay if you really want one,
search: 21oz teapot
Humm. Is the built in strainer really all that useful? I'd even thought about one of those nice kyusu, but they're so expensive (from what i've seen). Plus, I have a certain fondness for simple, white porcelain. I'm just so tired of my gigantic flower covered teapot my mother got me for display. It drips everywhere and smells.

Feb 9th, '10, 20:51

by Chip » Feb 9th, '10, 20:51

A great place to find starter Kyusu-s is Den's! $19 is pretty painless. These are not artisan quality, but they are bomb proof! You can pick up a better one later on. They do have built in screens.
http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... &cPath=275

A built in screen allows maximum expansion and room for the leaves. Most seasoned drinkers will eventually prefer the built in screen if it is available in a style to suit their tastes.

Feb 9th, '10, 20:54

by Corona » Feb 9th, '10, 20:54

Those do look rather nice. Just a bit confused on the screen on the black one, if someone could help -

http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... th=275_284

Where exactly is the screen located in this one? The other two $19 ones look like there's just a screen around the sides.

Feb 9th, '10, 20:58

by Chip » Feb 9th, '10, 20:58

That screen is centered at the base of the spout only. I have both screens. The wrap around is excellent for deep steamed sencha/fukamushi ... and virtually any other tea as well.

These 3 are glazed so you can cross brew using the same pot, making it very versitile.

Feb 9th, '10, 21:07

by Corona » Feb 9th, '10, 21:07

Wonderful, thank you again for the help. That teapot would pair well with
http://www.adagio.com/teaware/glass_cup ... d415419d83

Yes?

Edit: Perhaps not. The teapot seems to be 9 oz, while the cup is 10 oz...that certainly wouldn't work. Recommendations on where to find cups are appreciated!

Feb 9th, '10, 21:47

by Victoria » Feb 9th, '10, 21:47

The Den's is a great pot, you could adjust down with smaller cups. The white pot, you can either use the mesh infuser basket or just put the leaves loose in the pot and then pour through the mesh basket as a strainer. If you it this way though you will need another cup or mug, as you can't let the leaves sit int the pot. By the way it does have straining holes on the inside of the pout to hold back big leaves.

Feb 9th, '10, 22:44

by geeber1 » Feb 9th, '10, 22:44

My favorite Adagio blacks are the Keemun Rhapsody, Fujian Baroque, and Golden Spring. The Nepal First Flush is good also. It's very mild compared to the others.

Victoria made a good suggestion on the Oolongs. They will give you a good contrast.

I'm not very experienced on the greens, so don't really have a suggestion on those!

If you like Chai, Adagio's Masala Chai is excellent!

I love my PersonaliTEA. It would be worth waiting for. :)

Feb 10th, '10, 10:35

by brian » Feb 10th, '10, 10:35

Corona wrote:Those do look rather nice. Just a bit confused on the screen on the black one, if someone could help -
A note on "the black one" -- I just recently ordered the black kyusu (the Kokoro) from Den's. What I received seems to be almost some sort of hybrid of the pots listed on the site (the label on the box did say it was the Kokoro). The color is a deep blue, probably closest to the Yutori, however it does not have the gold "pinstripe" that you see on the lid of the Yutori. If you look closely at the pictures of the Kokoro, you'll see that it fades to a lighter shade of gray towards the center of the lid, and on the top of the handle; my pot does have this fading, the pictures on Den's site don't seem to show this fading on the other pots. So far, it just sounds like my Kokoro is a dark blue rather than black, but now another difference, my pot has the wrap-around obi-ami screen that you see in the pictures of the other two pots, not the spout screen pictured with the Kokoro.

So what I seem to have is a Kokoro, in dark blue rather than black, with a wrap-around screen rather than the spout screen. I'm perfectly happy with it, it's a great little pot, but I was a bit surprised when it arrived. If you care about any of this, might want to call Den's on the phone before ordering a pot.

By the way, if you're a first time Den's customer, they have a green tea sampler for $3 that entitles you to $3 off your first order of $15 or more. So if you order the $19 pot, you can essentially get the tea sampler for free. A nice way to get started with a pot and a variety of tea.

Feb 10th, '10, 12:46

by Chip » Feb 10th, '10, 12:46

Interesting, you should contact them so they are made aware of the conflicting information. I am certain they would appreciate the info! The owner, Den, is very conscientious and will likely reply personally.

The Kokoro does look like very deep blue in the photo, even though it says black in the description. And the screen is wrong like you said.

Still it is a very functional, bomb proof kyusu, and fortunately you did not spend 50 bucks or more on an artisan piece (plus 20+ $ on shipping from Japan) that you had your heart set on ... :mrgreen:

Feb 10th, '10, 18:20

by brian » Feb 10th, '10, 18:20

Yeah Chip, looking back at the photo online at Den's, and having my pot in hand, I can see that the online picture does look a bit blue. It may be a pretty accurate representation of the true color of the pot (as accurate as images on the computer screen can be). The shading is WAY more evident on the "real life" pot; in the online image it can easily be mistaken for glare.

Good idea, I will send them a note about the screen. I do love the pot, a great size for me and I don't think I could have found a better starter pot. Didn't make any difference to me what screen I got, but Den's will probably want to update their description if all of the Kokoro pots are now coming with the wrap-around screen.

Feb 10th, '10, 19:24

by Chip » Feb 10th, '10, 19:24

Keep the box, btw, these make great travel pots and the box makes it a lot easier. I can usually fit the Kyusu, a sample tin, and maybe a few small cups inside the box. I have the Shincha Kyusu.

Oh, Den's also has their own topic in TeaVendor forum.

+ Post Reply