The cost of doing business

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

The cost of doing business

Postby Charles » Feb 10th, '10, 13:25

After receiving many questions on this topic I've posted an article on the cost of getting into the tea business and would love to get feedback from anyone who has done this or is considering it. (http://www.tearetailer.com/article_36.html)
Charles

Re: The cost of doing business

Postby LauraW » Feb 11th, '10, 17:37

I haven't been involved in the beginnings of a tea shop, but I do know of a couple places that started as small as they could probably afford. One in particular (since I've actually spoken to the owner of that shop) basically emphasized the location he was in and the quality/variety of tea he carried, and word-of-mouth carried him until he'd made enough to completely remodel the place, actually add a decent kitchen (they now have a lunch menu and a Sunday brunch), add a couple more varieties of tea as well as a smallish selection of teawares, and hire more help. He's still in the same location, serving mostly the same tea in mostly the same way, but the business has grown to more than just he and his wife - now I rarely see him in there (not that I go all that often anymore, since I've moved).

I go back every chance I get - yes, it looked a little drab and like a hole-in-the-wall the first time I went in. But it was the tea that brought me back, and I'm very glad to see he's doing well.
LauraW

Postby debunix » Feb 11th, '10, 21:26

I presume the costs in that table are thousands?
debunix

Postby LauraW » Feb 12th, '10, 00:31

debunix wrote:I presume the costs in that table are thousands?

Yes, it says I believe right above the table (don't worry, I missed it too the first time :oops: )
LauraW

Instant Messenger

Permissions