Gong Fu Cha

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 9th, '07, 00:00

Gong Fu Cha

by Space Samurai » Feb 9th, '07, 00:00

Okay, so I have finally assembled my yixing teaware, and I can begin my journey into Gong Fu Cha. I think I have a handle on the mechanics, but not all of my sources agree. So I am asking all of you; impart your wisdom and experience to me.

As of right now, I am only doing pu-erhs; I will get to oolongs later. I have yet to try more than a few oolongs, and I am waiting until I can do it right.

Now, I know I can do more research and find the answers, but I figure you all like to talk about tea, or why else would you be here.

Specific Questions:

1)Do I rinse all puerhs.
2)How long do I infuse. I have heard anywhere from 5-30 seconds. I know that ultimately it is for me to decide what tastes best, but I don't mind having a starting point.
3)Has anyone used the mini tuo cha for gong fu? It seems...awkward. My first infusion is weak, the second and third, after the cake has had a chance to break apart, are stronger.
4)Anything else you think I should no. From what I understand, gong fu is about experience and practice, and I don't mind having some experience to draw on while I am practicing.

Thanks very much.

Feb 9th, '07, 00:25

by EvenOdd » Feb 9th, '07, 00:25

I usually give all of my teas a rinse.

Infusion times depend on the tea. With chunks of puerh and fisted oolong, I give it a longer first infusion. Like 20 seconds. With curly teas, I make it shorter.

For the mini tuo, I'd give it a long first infusion to help it break up and get infused.

Feb 9th, '07, 01:56

by tenuki » Feb 9th, '07, 01:56

The main point of brewing and drinking tea is taste/sense pleasure. Experiment, don't get caught up in doing it the 'right way'. Use the information you get as interesting starting points to your own exploration.

:D

Feb 10th, '07, 05:45

by EvenOdd » Feb 10th, '07, 05:45

Yep, one's own intuition is the key to enjoying it. It just helps to have a nice starting point in finding your way. Without past experience, it can be hard to use your senses to gauge how well you are doing. After a while it becomes quite natural.

Feb 24th, '07, 00:12

by rabbit » Feb 24th, '07, 00:12

And everybody has their own tastes, it's like 10% science, 90% preference IMO ... making real good tea comes with lots of practice, fortunately that's something most if not all of us don't mind practicing ;)
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Feb 24th, '07, 18:40

Yes

by hop_goblin » Feb 24th, '07, 18:40

Yes, in Gongfu Cha all tea is rinsed. In fact, it is a very important part of the process. :) Just remember that shou typically recieves two washes.

+ Post Reply