WHY do you drink tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 13th, '10, 19:51

Re: WHY do you drink tea?

by cls46 » Jan 13th, '10, 19:51

I drink tea because...wow there are so many reasons. I mean first of all it's yummy! but then there are all the other things like I love making tea, I love tea culture (there is so much fun stuff out there for tea drinkers), I love the little bit of caffeine that wakes me up in the morning, I love the health benefits. It's just a really great thing.

Jan 13th, '10, 23:53

by debunix » Jan 13th, '10, 23:53

I like the taste.

Given how weak I make it, the buzz is pretty minor, but the simple act of pouring and sipping can help keep me awake during long lectures and meetings.

Jan 17th, '10, 21:56

by Skippyandjif » Jan 17th, '10, 21:56

First off, I love the variety of tastes, from rooibos to green tea to pu-erh... The spectrum is so wide that it's impossible to get "bored" with tea!

Second, tea is just comforting for me, mostly because it's warm and I spend winter breaks at my mom's (cooooold) house in Maine. :lol: I also love the beauty of Japanese tea culture and the calm socialization that occurs at tea parties, as opposed to, say, frat parties.

Jan 31st, '10, 20:00

by msurads06 » Jan 31st, '10, 20:00

I drink tea for the caffeine and the health benefits (and of course the taste). Not only the health benefits of the tea itself, but the health benefits of having quit soda. I started drinking tea bag tea last year for a hot drink, but it was kindof a hit/miss thing, coffee makes me sick and hot chocolate has too many calories and way too much sugar. Soda was my caffeine of choice, but that has way too much sugar and on high caffeine need days, i would drink a liter or more. I was definately a soda addict and no matter what i tried i couldnt get away from it because there are days where I NEED caffeine.

In december I attended my sister's wedding and for her wedding favors she had little glass jars filled with tea and hot cocoa. This was my first introduction to real tea. Special Teas earl grey de la creme. I wasnt sure about the first cup (i seem to have that reaction to every tea i try) but by the end of it I was hooked. I got online to order more and things have snowballed out of control.

The good news is that I have only had one soda in the last two weeks and couldnt even finish it. I had to pour it out. Of course with the amount of tea I am drinking, i dont know that my sugar consumption has decreased that much. I only use 1/2-1 teaspoon of sugar per cup for most teas, but i drink between 6-10 cups every day, some days more. but atleast it is spread out though the day instead of in a 30 minute period. Thats one of the reasons i drink white tea for caffeine, i can get away with alot less sugar than if i was drinking black tea. hopefully one day i will be able to break the sugar habit all together, but for now i am just glad to have finally found something that will keep me off soda. even if the convenience factor is missing (cant just pop the top or run through the drive through on the corner like with sodas).

Jan 31st, '10, 20:10

by debunix » Jan 31st, '10, 20:10

msurads06 wrote:I drink tea for the caffeine and the health benefits (and of course the taste). I only use 1/2-1 teaspoon of sugar per cup for most teas, but i drink between 6-10 cups every day
If you want to enjoy the tea flavor and caffeine lift without the sugar, you might seek out some of the milder new style oolongs, that look almost like green teas. I can't give you a specific name, because Ti Kuan Yin can refer to a dark traditional roasted tea with a strong earthy flavor, as well as to a lightly oxidized tea the brews up floral and sweet. It's hard to get the kind of bitterness out of these lightly oxidized oolongs that requires covering up with sugar.

Feb 1st, '10, 11:35

by msurads06 » Feb 1st, '10, 11:35

Not too worried about the sugar, like i said still way less than what is in the 2 cans a day of coke, or worse the 44 oz fountain drink that were my previous staple. But thanks for the recomendation. I mainly drink white tea right now, the sugar isnt for bitterness, but seems to bring out the flavors, ususally on 1/2 tsp for white tea. thanks for the suggestion of oolong. By lightly oxidized you mean a "green" oolong right? i may have to order some in my next round of samples.

Feb 1st, '10, 16:10

by debunix » Feb 1st, '10, 16:10

Yes, a 'green' oolong.

I've had some lovely Pouchong, Ali Shan Mountain Oolong, and Tie Guan Yin that were green and floral, but have also had dark fruity toasty versions of each too. So you need to check which you're getting....or not, because both styles are great, but the light greens are naturally sweet.

Feb 14th, '10, 13:17

by Earl Grey » Feb 14th, '10, 13:17

I had constant problems with headaches and everyday tire mostly because of my sensitive sinuses. Then I bought lemon balm tea and that was my first not-tea bag tea. I liked it, so I started exploring about tea and then I found Tea house where I discovered that quality and real teas are teas in leaf, not that crap I used to drink before; tea in tea bags. First tea I bought was blend named Spicy Christmas (White Tea Pai mu tan, green tea Fog Tea, Lung Ching, Darjeeling, Jasmine, Jade pearls tea, jasmine, cinnamon bits, ginger bits, orange bark, bits of coconut, cardamon, rose buds, clove) and I was delighted. Then it became my addiction, I started to read and educate myself about tea, the sweet and healthy addiction and the best hobby I'm really enjoying. :)

During this 2 months I've been buying teas, my collection grew to 22 great teas and it's rapidly growing. :D But I'm still learning and that's the one of the biggest reasons why I'm here: to learn about tea, to share experiences and of course, to find which teas I'm going to add to my collection.

I drink tea everyday 'cause I like the flavor, 'cause I feel great and healthy, 'cause it's great habit. :)

Feb 14th, '10, 14:08

by Amaikokonut » Feb 14th, '10, 14:08

Ahhh I drink tea for so many reasons; all the endless variety is certainly a large part of it, but I think more than anything I just enjoy going through the whole ritual of preparing and drinking the tea. It's a very soothing, if quite temporary, escape from everyday stresses and just leaves me feeling a lot better and more productive afterward.

Feb 14th, '10, 14:54

by givequicheachance » Feb 14th, '10, 14:54

It's F'ing delicious.

Feb 14th, '10, 14:55

by whatsinaname » Feb 14th, '10, 14:55

Tea allows me to practice mindfulness a few moments at a time, in a busy office environment. The cha qi often keeps me above the chaos and lifts my mood. Good for business!

Feb 19th, '10, 05:35

by dooble » Feb 19th, '10, 05:35

I drink tea for the calming effect and the taste. The health effect hasn't really ever fascinated me that much.
But I really think the psychological effects of every tea are unique. You just have to listen carefully. Even if they are products of your own mind, the tea adds its character to your imagination.

Feb 19th, '10, 07:59

by Anonym0us » Feb 19th, '10, 07:59

givequicheachance wrote:It's F'ing delicious.
True true son. True true. Drinky drink!

Feb 19th, '10, 08:59

by Schrammy » Feb 19th, '10, 08:59

The flavor, mostly. Also, my doctor recommended that I drink tea throughout the day to keep up a basic caffeine level in my body for my migraines along with my medication... and I have to say, it's working.

Feb 20th, '10, 01:29

by s(tea)ven » Feb 20th, '10, 01:29

Because it tastes good. It just happens to have some pretty good health benefts. :)

+ Post Reply