Tea storage

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 12th, '07, 22:18

Tea storage

by aj » Feb 12th, '07, 22:18

Can two puerhs be stored in the same tin, each in its own plastic bag? Both would be same type, eg. shou.

Likewise can any two similar teas be stored in the same tin each in its own plastic bag?

Do plastic baggies affect tea in any way?

Feb 12th, '07, 23:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 12th, '07, 23:08

I can answer this in general terms...

The plastic used in clear bags is water proof but not air tight. There is a significant amount of air exchange through the plastic itself and it is generally not recommended for storing tea. I found this out for the first time the hard way.

Also, most tins are not airtight either...how to store one's tea is always a challenge, yet another reason why it is not recommended to have too much tea open at any given time.

Many pu-erh can be stored outside a container just wrapped in paper on a shelf away from excessive heat, humidity, and all odors...if one is aging a green pu-erh.

I always wondered if that new plasic smell is absorbed by tea...??? Tea is notorious for absorbing odors.

Feb 12th, '07, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 12th, '07, 23:51

I've had tea that I thought tasted like the zip lock bag I had stored it in. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I've avoided them ever since. Especially for long term storage.

Feb 13th, '07, 00:19

by Space Samurai » Feb 13th, '07, 00:19

I would avoid using plastic bags. Our rep. from TROT did a few classes at my store, and he swore against them, and I've noticed when some employees store tea long term in plastic bags, they are not as fresh, and I have had to throw them out.

What I did, since i work around bulk tea and was always taking some home, but didn't want to fork over a lot of money for containers, was to go over to The Container Store and purchase several small containers. They're air tight, or at least I'm pretty sure they are, they keep out light, and cost about a dollar a piece.

Feb 14th, '07, 11:00

by MarshalN » Feb 14th, '07, 11:00

I'd say ditch the plastic bags. Puerh can be stored with no container of any kind, actually. Just avoid places with lots of odours.

You can store them in the same tin, of course. Just that for long term storage, you should avoid plastic. If they will be drunk quickly, then it's not a big deal.

+ Post Reply