Tea A Magazine

For general/other topics related to tea.

Feb 18th, '07, 19:50

Tea A Magazine

by TeaFanatic » Feb 18th, '07, 19:50

Does anyone on this forum have a subscription to Tea a Magazine? If so, is it worth the money and why?

Also, I've seen some other tea magazines on the web, but I don't know if any of them are good. If you have a subscription to one, it would be awesome if you could give me some information about the magazine!

Thanks everyone!
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Feb 18th, '07, 23:31

by Mary R » Feb 18th, '07, 23:31

I have a bitter hatred of magazines. My family has dozens of subscriptions and they can't seem to ever throw any of them away. Literally! I have to bag some up and toss them in a dumpster somewhere. Do they ever realize the magazines are gone? No! It's insanity! Issues aside, I did pick up a copy of Tea a Magazine and Tea Time the last time I went to Borders. Curiostiy trumps contempt every time.

For me, Tea Time (bimonthly) was a waste of money. There's hardly anything in there about tea! It's just china patterns, party ideas, and recipes for tea sandwiches, scones, and cakes. If that's your cup--you'd love it. If you want information about tea itself, move on.

Tea a Magazine (quarterly) is--thankfully--more about tea. Peter F. Goggi runs a Q&A column in every issue, the most recent on caffeine content in different teas. The winter 07 issue also has an article on translating Ukers' book All About Tea into Japanese, a nice photo piece on Shitoro Pottery, an article on tetsubins, and pieces on tea farms in China and the Glendale Estate (a spectacular article). They also include a few book reviews and highlight a few tea rooms of different aesthetics (one in an Asian bent which also caters to herbal supplements and such, one that is dripping in Victoriana, and another that is just pleasantly odd).

As a whole, the magazine isn't loaded with content--I had it read cover to cover in under an hour--but what they do have I did find interesting, decently written and definitely topical. I could see myself taking out a subscription...once I get over my pathological hatred of course.

Feb 19th, '07, 00:48

by TeaFanatic » Feb 19th, '07, 00:48

Yeah, I am not the type to order thousands of magazine subscriptions. Currently I only have one subscription and that is to Newsweek.

I didn't even know that Borders carried those magazines. I'll have to go buy an issue of Tea a Magazine. I'm not going to buy Tea Time though...it never really looked like my type of magazine.

The other one I'm interested in is Tea Experience. I ordered a free issue, so I'll see how that magazine is. Anyone have any experience with this magazine?
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

+ Post Reply