Adagio's Retail Concept

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Adagio's Retail Concept

Postby Charles » Mar 2nd, '10, 16:59

OK, this is the article so many have been waiting and asking for. I've detailed six strategies designed to differentiate the Adagio Retail store from any other on the market (http://www.tearetailer.com/article_45.html).

I'd love to get your feedback on how these would resonate with you.
Charles

Re: Adagio's Retail Concept

Postby Chip » Mar 2nd, '10, 17:31

Looks exactly like I would expect from Adagio, clean, well lit, precise, sophisticated, in keeping with the Adagio theme, and very well designed. :mrgreen:

The lighting's close proximity to the tea for sale, will this create a heat issue, which is of course an enemy of tea?

How soon til tea is served???
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Charles » Mar 2nd, '10, 17:52

Good question. I'm actually cutting the lighting from within the main tea merchandising compartment. I want the focus on the sample jars, not the pouches below. There will probably be a little bit of down-lighting from the shelf above but only a little. I just didn't have the drawings updated again because it's a bit expensive and close enough for us to work off of as-is.

No lease signed as yet so we'll probably open 90 days after... whenever! :) Soon hopefully.
Charles

Postby Chip » Mar 2nd, '10, 18:03

Ahhh, very good! I suspect a designer thought the lighting looked great, unknowing.

I am just catching up on TR articles not found on TC, including the "turn down." :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Mar 4th, '10, 13:53

Perhaps the one hook that is missing is the multi cultural element of TEA that will draw someone who despises a corporate store such as Teavana ... right in.

I consider myself immune to their tactics and find them to be reprehensible, but I am certainly attracted to the "warm look" of the store, nevertheless. I will not walk by a Teavana w/o stepping inside ... though I will NOT buy tea there, period, but I do end up buying something such as a Washi canister or two.

Clearly you are not trying to imitate what Teavana is doing, but your pictured design is so clean, it is almost sterile ... while I consider tea to be warm and friendly. Clearly the tea will have to stand out in order to draw a repeat customer base, but I recall previous discussion here about expanding on the current teaware offerings.

But I do like the organized look of the teas.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Charles » Mar 4th, '10, 14:06

Understood and agreed. We've yet to put color and art into the space. It also will look different merchandised with accessories. I wonder how much of Teavana's image comes from the store design and how much is the plethora of cast iron and merchandising elements?

Regardless, I agree entirely and consider the current picture more like a house with no furniture. We still have to make it our own. :)
Charles

Postby Jim. » Mar 4th, '10, 19:55

I just purchased tea from Teavana for the first time this past weekend. I assume they are who you are talking about in this article. The fact that you have to wait in line for 10-20 minutes before you can talk to one of the tea masters and then when you finally do, they tell you the tea you want to buy isn't good enough you should buy the more expensive stuff really turned me off to the place. I wont be going back.

I love the concept so far for the Adagio stores hopefully you open one up in my area, maybe I'll even work there. : )
Jim.

Postby Chip » Mar 4th, '10, 20:56

Charles wrote:Regardless, I agree entirely and consider the current picture more like a house with no furniture. We still have to make it our own. :)

Cool. I will be anticipating seeing the warmed up photos. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Veri-Tea » Mar 11th, '10, 03:25

Oh my goodness, this sounds so good, can I come work for you?? Please??

I am just wondering though, about the potential for liability from allowing customers to self-serve with boiling water... possibly risky business? GREAT idea though and I hope it can be worked out.
Veri-Tea

Instant Messenger

Permissions