Which tea mountains Pu Er you like the best?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 3rd, '10, 03:25

Which tea mountains Pu Er you like the best?

by jktea » Mar 3rd, '10, 03:25

This question has been bothered me for a long time. So I decided to have a poll.
There are many tea mountains in Yunnan, each tea mountain's tea has its own special, distinctive characters. So which is your favorite one?
My favorite one is Lao Ban Zhan moutains, Wen Shan mountains in Jinggu, sometimes Bingdao are ok. What is yours? :D

Mar 3rd, '10, 18:48

Re: Which tea mountains Pu Er you like the best?

by shogun89 » Mar 3rd, '10, 18:48

Hmm, I havnt had a whole lot of single estates to give a educated response. However from the few I have had/ remember, I have favs for certain times. If I want a strong pungent tea, its Bulang or LBZ. If I want something a little softer but still with a bit of bitter, a Nannou will be nice. If I want a smooth long finish tea, a Yiwu is nice.
But if I was forced to choose one mountain, it would be Bulang, simply because it packs a punch just like LBZ, however it can be acquired very cheaply.

Mar 3rd, '10, 19:09

by AdamMY » Mar 3rd, '10, 19:09

I've had a few single mountain teas, as I have focused less on the big blends, and more on smaller productions. Though honestly I have no clue if any of these places come from where they say they do.

While I did like the Lao Banzhang I had, a long time favorite and one I've probably tasted the most of is Nannoushan.

Mar 3rd, '10, 19:44

by Maitre_Tea » Mar 3rd, '10, 19:44

Although I'm not as well-versed as some experts, I think I've tasted enough single-blends to get a grasp of some of the regional differences, though there's no accounting for funny business going on here. I find myself drawn more to Lao Man'E (yes, I'm crazy), Bu Lang, and Jing Mai.

The best examples have a nice complexity and bitterness with translates into an awesome aftertaste. Jing Mai also has a certain "nuttiness" that I like, though I don't know if that's just the few examples that I've come across. I also like the cooling sensation of Bing Dao when it's there.

I've yet to come across a Yiwu or a Nannuo that I've loved, though I'm sure that I haven't come across the right one yet.

Mar 3rd, '10, 20:04

by debunix » Mar 3rd, '10, 20:04

Most of the Puerh I've bought have not come with this level of identification. I bought my first beengs from local shops that offer a test brewing but not much in the way of translation or documentation, and most of what I have ordered online doesn't give a lot more info either.

Mar 7th, '10, 11:23

by Jack_teachat » Mar 7th, '10, 11:23

shogun89 wrote: But if I was forced to choose one mountain, it would be Bulang, simply because it packs a punch just like LBZ, however it can be acquired very cheaply.
+1

:D

Mar 7th, '10, 12:24

by jktea » Mar 7th, '10, 12:24

Thank you for your guys's reponses.

[*]Hmm, I havnt had a whole lot of single estates to give a educated response. However from the few I have had/ remember, I have favs for certain times. If I want a strong pungent tea, its Bulang or LBZ. If I want something a little softer but still with a bit of bitter, a Nannou will be nice. If I want a smooth long finish tea, a Yiwu is nice.
But if I was forced to choose one mountain, it would be Bulang, simply because it packs a punch just like LBZ, however it can be acquired very cheaply.[*]

Well, I would like to say old tea trees from Bulang or LBZ have super deep throat feeling than any other teas in Yunnan.

For Yiwu tea, there are too many fake or blended with bush Yiwu teas. In this case, I pesonally would like to Jinggu Wenshan tea, which is super similar to Yiwu tea, but cheaper.

I have some pure ancient tea trees Pu Er from one single tea estate, and would like to share with your guys. If any of your guys need, pls PM me privately, then we can share the good teas together.

Not sure whether it violates the forum rules, if yes, pls the moderator informs me privately, then I will delet it right away. :D

Mar 14th, '10, 04:05

by hop_goblin » Mar 14th, '10, 04:05

My favs are: Lao BanZang, YiWu, Bulang, and on occasion Gedeng.

Mar 14th, '10, 04:27

by debunix » Mar 14th, '10, 04:27

jktea wrote:I would like to say old tea trees from Bulang or LBZ have super deep throat feeling than any other teas in Yunnan.
I have read this term in different places, but have no idea what 'deep throat feeling' is. Is it a flavor in the tea? The body of the liquor? An aftertaste?

Apr 16th, '10, 17:06

by bryan_drinks_tea » Apr 16th, '10, 17:06

From what I've tasted so far, I really enjoy teas from Ba Da and Nannuo. Stuff like Jing Mai, Lao Man'E, Na Ka and Ban Zhang - I have yet to taste those, but my time will come soon.

Jun 22nd, '10, 11:03
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 22nd, '10, 11:03

I am loving a Nannou Mt. puerh for the summer now. Floral, honey, tasted like a light Taiwanese oolong with hint of jasmine flower. It will fade when the weather gets colder... then, back to my obsession with Yiwu.

Jun 8th, '14, 22:14

by AllanK » Jun 8th, '14, 22:14

I am quite fond of a tea from Yunnan Sourcing from Jingmai Mountain but can't say I am good enough to tell them apart in a blind test taste.

Jun 13th, '14, 14:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Jspigs » Jun 13th, '14, 14:51

AllanK wrote:I am quite fond of a tea from Yunnan Sourcing from Jingmai Mountain but can't say I am good enough to tell them apart in a blind test taste.
Basically this, although the Jingmai I particularly like is not Yunnan Sourcing brand but is sold by them. I also lack the experience needed to tell them apart in a blind tasting though.

+ Post Reply