Qi

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 3rd, '10, 22:03

Qi

by Tea_Rex » Mar 3rd, '10, 22:03

Hello - I keep seeing references here to the "qi" of tea. I think "qi" must be the same thing as the "ki" in akido, but I'm not sure of that or exactly how it applies to tea. Anyone want to help me understand?

Thanks.

Mar 3rd, '10, 22:42

Re: Qi

by AdamMY » Mar 3rd, '10, 22:42

Qi as in Chi, possibly even the Ki from akkido, but basically life force, or life energy of the tea. All teas have it to some degree but others seem to have it in much greater amounts.

Though I highly feel like its very subjective, and depends more on your own personal mental state at the time.

But some teas make you feel very calm, and relaxed, while others energize you beyond belief, sometimes making you feel incredibly warm on top of energized.

Mar 3rd, '10, 23:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 3rd, '10, 23:41

I had some aged puerh and it was like a shot of whiskey. Instant warmth and caused a flush. That was the strongest I have felt.

Mar 4th, '10, 15:02

by Tea_Rex » Mar 4th, '10, 15:02

Thanks, Adam and Victoria. From what you've said, I think qi explains my experience with my houjicha. One brutal Saturday that drained me physically and mentally, I came home and immediately made the pot of houjicha my mind was crying out for. Within five minutes of beginning to drink it, I felt a sense of well being spread over me. I'd noticed this before in a smaller way, but that day, the contrast of the experience with the day was so pronounced, it has now become one of the several reasons I drink houjicha every day. One interesting thing about this is that the feeling I am talking about has nothing to do with caffeine.

Mar 4th, '10, 18:05
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 4th, '10, 18:05

Qi can have many meanings. The air, the oxygen, the steam from hot water, being angry, being spiritual, being agile... can all be called some kind of Qi. The problem of using Qi to describe tea is abstractness, without specific criteria or benchmark. When different people claim Qi in the same tea, how can we know they are talking about the same thing? The hot liquor, strong taste, or momentary feeling? Of course it can be used to describe tea, but very often, such description is not more specific than saying the tea has zen in it or the tea has a world in it. Oh well I know my problem is being too analytical-minded and terribly anti-romantic :P

+ Post Reply