FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Re: FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

Postby zencha » Feb 9th, '10, 18:21

zencha

Postby zencha » Feb 10th, '10, 00:59

Flushing's New Flavors
A look at northeast China’s rich and warming food, which can now be found in Queens.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/0 ... ref=dining

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/dinin ... e.html?hpw
zencha

Postby artmom » Feb 10th, '10, 18:20

My weakness in food is cheese. I love cheese; almost any kind. My particular favorites are:

Abbaye de Bel'loc - a delicious, buttery flavored French cheese, using sheep's milk.

Sparkenhoe Red Leiscester - a hard cheese from cow's milk made in England -- orange-red in color. More crumbly than cheddar.

Majorero Pimentón -- a goat cheese from Spain (Canary Islands), covered in Pimenton (a smoked paprika).

Isle of Mull -- a cloth-bound traditional cheddar from the Isle of Mull, Scotland.

Several fresh goat cheeses; and many others not mentioned here.

One of my favorite lunches is tea, fresh baked artisanal bread, and almost any cheese. Makes me :D ! I also add small leftover pieces of cheese to soups, salads, biscuits, scones.
artmom

Postby LauraW » Feb 12th, '10, 10:16

artmom wrote:My weakness in food is cheese. I love cheese; almost any kind.

Mmmm.... cheese... it's my roomate whose weakness is cheese, but she does strange things to it (the most bizarre I've seen is a peanut butter and cheese - American - sandwich. But no bread. So peanut butter wrapped in cheese. Ew?). That being said, I do love a good cheese - 3 months in France would have fixed that if I hadn't been obsessed before (and consequently, the same is true of wine :D ) - brie and camembert are definitely my favorites, although I do love a good sharp cheddar. Or pretty much everything.

That aside, I made beer-battered fish last night for dinner... mmm... Bisquick, beer, an egg; mix, dip fish in, put fish in fryer, pull out and devour. It was very tasty, and I'm gonna have to remember that recipe - my boyfriend wants to try something similar to make corn dogs. We'll see how that goes.
LauraW

Postby LauraW » Feb 15th, '10, 17:52

I know I'm a day late, but my Valentine's dinner was too tasty not to share:

Coconut-mushroom risotto balls (messy to make, but very tasty!)
Fried shrimp
Corn cakes
Wine
and fruit salad for dessert - kiwi, pear, strawberries, avocado, a little bit of lettuce, and a simple syrup/lemon juice dressing with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little tarragon. Tea afterwards. It was a good day for our little fryer.
LauraW

Postby Corona » Feb 17th, '10, 19:38

I've got a nice tasty bowl of collard greens here that a friend cooked up for me. Just finished up a cup of World Market's Dianhong "China Breakfast" black tea. Not sure of the quality of the tea, but it serves until I get around to ordering something.
Corona

Postby edkrueger » Feb 21st, '10, 01:45

Chip wrote:Getting the ball rolling.

Lots and LOTS of snow shovelling today, not a lot of time to cook, but carbs and protein and veggies were URGENTLY needed.

So, cooked up a big batch of sticky rice, finely scrambled some eggs ... threw the leftover/spent Gyokuro leaves ... mixed it all together and seasoned with a little soy sauce.

Yum, really hit the spot too. And the gyo leaves gave everything a greenish hue.

Nothing fancy, but reflected the preference for Asian food! :mrgreen:

That is a pretty decent recipe, but I'd make a change to it. I'd suggest putting the rice in the pan, stirring it around a bit with some soy sauce and then adding raw eggs to the pan.
edkrueger

Postby AdamMY » Mar 7th, '10, 16:14

Whipped up an idea chip said, about spent Gyo leaves, Rice and Eggs. In my mind I would make it a bit more like fried rice and possibly put in some chopped onions that have been sautéed. I will have to remember that for next time.

but it was actually quite good.

AdamMY

Postby entropyembrace » Apr 7th, '10, 16:51

For lunch today I made potato pancakes...was my first attempt and Mmmmm...they were sooooo good I´m all blissed out now. :lol:

What I did was started with some frozen shreded hashbrowns, and I let them thaw out...then I made the batter with two eggs, a bit of flour and my special fried potato herb and spice mix...whisked that until it was smooth then poured on top the potatos and mixed them with a big spoon until the potato shreds were evenly covered with batter. Then I spooned the potato and batter mixture into a large cast iron frying pan...with a good layer of grapeseed oil...and I had preheated it while I was doing the batter...then I flattened them with the spatula and fried until gold and crispy on both sides...I flipped them twice.

I topped them each with a little spoonful of sour cream and I paired them with Nine Bend Red Plum Keemun tea :)
entropyembrace

Postby artmom » Apr 7th, '10, 17:33

entropyembrace wrote:For lunch today I made potato pancakes...was my first attempt and Mmmmm...they were sooooo good I´m all blissed out now. :lol:

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I never thought of using hash browns - I used to make them all the time, but can no longer grate the potatoes :roll: so have not had them in a long time--not homemade anyway!

Lyn
artmom

Postby artmom » Apr 8th, '10, 18:17

Hurray! Artisanal Premium Cheese finally had my favorite (and GD Alex's) cheese available. Abbaye de Bel'loc, a delicious French sheeps cheese. So, I ordered it and a couple of domestic cheddars. :D Can't wait until Tuesday! :lol:
artmom

Postby entropyembrace » Apr 9th, '10, 13:55

Wow you can order cheese and they ship it? Is the package refrigeraded? Oaxaca cheese is my favourite but I´ve only ever seen it in Mexico... :? I wonder if I could get some that way?
entropyembrace

Postby artmom » Apr 9th, '10, 16:05

entropyembrace wrote:Wow you can order cheese and they ship it? Is the package refrigeraded? Oaxaca cheese is my favourite but I´ve only ever seen it in Mexico... :? I wonder if I could get some that way?

I didn't see it listed, but the cheese list changes frequently. Yes, I order from them about every 5 or 6 weeks. The package is refrigerated and up to $70 worth of cheese ships overnight in a cool pack for $9.99. It is artisanalcheese dot com
artmom

Postby Chip » Apr 9th, '10, 16:43

artmom wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:Wow you can order cheese and they ship it? Is the package refrigeraded? Oaxaca cheese is my favourite but I´ve only ever seen it in Mexico... :? I wonder if I could get some that way?

I didn't see it listed, but the cheese list changes frequently. Yes, I order from them about every 5 or 6 weeks. The package is refrigerated and up to $70 worth of cheese ships overnight in a cool pack for $9.99. It is artisanalcheese dot com

You can certainly post links, you are "link worthy!" :mrgreen: http://www.artisanalcheese.com/

That site could seriously cut into the TeaBudget ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby artmom » Apr 9th, '10, 18:15

Thanks, Chip! I wasn't sure and don't want to break any rules!! And, yes, it could seriously cut into the TeaBudget! As I don't go out much, my special cheese, tea, and some other special treats come out of my "entertainment" budget! :lol:
artmom

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions