How long can I keep infused leaves?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 3rd, '07, 13:19

How long can I keep infused leaves?

by Cher » Mar 3rd, '07, 13:19

Hello everyone. I'm new to Adagio, and I've really enjoyed navigating this site and trying out all of my new teas. I've been trying multiple teas each day, and I'd like to know how long I can keep a teabag full of wet tea for another infusion. I've yet to buy one of Adagio's teapots with a mesh infusor; I'm currently using a beautiful Japanese teapot, Adagio loose leaf tea, and Adagio teabags.

General safety guidelines for leaving food out at room temp indicate that foods should be tossed after four hours. Does that sound about right for wet tea? For example, can I make a pot of Jasmine tea at 8 am, and then use the bag again at 12 pm?

Thanks!

Mar 3rd, '07, 17:49

by TeaFanatic » Mar 3rd, '07, 17:49

I personally don't like to infuse tea after an hour of sitting because bacteria tend to grow in moist places like tea leaves. I wouldn't recommend any longer than 4 hours, but it is up to you.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Mar 3rd, '07, 18:02

by Warden Andy » Mar 3rd, '07, 18:02

I try to brew the tea before the leaves get cold. If it gets cold, the flavor will probably be off.

If you aren't concerned about taste, you could probably let it sit a few hours with no harm.
Super elite tea facist....

Mar 4th, '07, 01:20

by Cher » Mar 4th, '07, 01:20

Well, actually, I am concerned about taste; that's why I asked. I just wasn't sure about the nature of multiple infusions. It sounds as though it's not recommended to brew one tea, then another, and then go back to reinfuse the original one. It makes sense; I just wanted to clarify. Thanks!

+ Post Reply