Choosing a POS System

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Choosing a POS System

Postby Charles » Mar 12th, '10, 17:14

I've written two articles on choosing a Retail Point of Sale System.

The first details what I'm looking for (http://www.tearetailer.com/article_47.html).

The second describes the system I've selected for Adagio's retail stores (http://www.tearetailer.com/article_56.html)

I'm glad to answer any questions you may have.
Charles

Re: Choosing a POS System

Postby Herb_Master » Mar 13th, '10, 07:34

It will be interesting to see how you apportion empowerment to different levels of trusted employees on marking down aging teas at the point of sale.

The sell by date on most food products can be ridiculously over fettered causing good food to be wasted, but there can be no denying that avoiding waste and courting customer goodwill can be achieved if products are marked down. On the other hand visible signs of marked down products can deter quality conscious consumers from the shop as a whole even for pristine products.

Best before dates are more likely to be valuable for speciality teas, but should they be displayed large, retained within the system for staff to advise potential customers and make pricing decisions on, or some middle ground.

When new inventory comes in will the system capture guestimates of when the product may be past it's best allowing the sales staff to advise the customer, and if empowered offer a discount. Noting of course that such empowerment in any large operation lends itself to abuse by the staff!

Or will a special display, discretely offer items that have been reduced to clear?
Herb_Master

Postby Charles » Mar 13th, '10, 10:57

Awesome question. This one will certainly drive some debate. Rather than hide this discussion under POS I've written a piece on this at http://www.tearetailer.com/article_48.html. I look forward to your thoughts.
Charles

Postby AmberSweet » Mar 17th, '10, 18:24

This is a particularily interesting topic for me, having never been in a position to recommend a POS system but consistantly working in retail enviroments that were using a system not suited to their needs, which makes everything difficult bar processing a sale!
AmberSweet

Postby capheind » Jun 14th, '10, 20:03

I'm actually looking at EasyPOS right now. A friend and I are thinking of opening a Tea bar of sorts and Floss (http://www.gnu.org) is important to me, she doesn't care either way. The problem is I don't think its suited to the odd nature of a teabar.
capheind

Postby Charles » Jun 14th, '10, 20:58

The Adagio IT team is also VERY big into Open Source. Unfortunately I/we are not aware of a solution that covers even half of the functionality I need to properly run our retail operations. This will be the first major purchase in Adagio's history that is not open-source and internally built and managed.
Charles

Postby capheind » Jun 14th, '10, 22:29

Yeah, EasyPOS is more suited to small outfits, which is really why I'm looking at it. No point in spending half the seed money on a system that does far more than what we need.
capheind

Postby karenj.merchant » Jul 27th, '10, 13:12

Thanks for the info on your search re: POS systems. I'm wondering if you can share how the system interfaces with your website/ecommerce platform. Is it integrated? Did you have to have the website designed and hosted separately and then integrated? About how much does doing something like this run? Also, what about a merchant services account? Does your POS system interface with that? Thanks in advance!

Karen merchant
karenj.merchant

Postby Charles » Aug 9th, '10, 09:46

Karen,

Each of the POS platforms that I looked at offered an integrated E-Commerce solution. Because Adagio was a web shop first, and has built up a pretty impressive E-Commerce environment, we aren't really interested in moving over to another solution. CounterPoint runs on a SQL Database and so we will be building integration hooks between the Adagio E-Commerce database and my retail store database to share information like customers, gift certificates an inventories. The integration is not terribly difficult or expensive, but your costs will vary dramatically based on the details of your business and what you're trying to integrate.

All of the top POS solution offer integrated, online credit card processing. You'll need to set up a separate merchant account for each location (though it can and should be with the same provider), but it's a relatively simple process. The rates are lower in-store vs. online because of reduced risk of fraud.

If you are looking to launch both in-store and online at the same time, I would DEFINITELY recommend choosing a solution that supports both sides of the business seamlessly. It will make your life a whole lot easier.

CounterPoint does this, but I probably would have worked with Celerant if I was planning to use their E-Commerce platform as well. The online tools and integration between the two sides appeared a little stronger. For what it's worth, both Teavana and Teaopia are using Celerant in-store and online.
Charles

Instant Messenger

Permissions