New Dragon Tea House offerings?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 9th, '10, 18:45

New Dragon Tea House offerings?

by Bubba_tea » Mar 9th, '10, 18:45

I'm so confused... don't know whether to post this here or there... move me if needed, Chip!

Has anyone tried these from DTH?

Jun Zi Lan

Almond DC

Spring Blossom

Cheng Hua

Mar 10th, '10, 15:43

Re: New Dragon Tea House offerings?

by Alucard » Mar 10th, '10, 15:43

I have not tried DC or any tea from DTH but I am waiting for an order from them to be delivered. Hope to get it this week.

Feng Huang Dan Cong Honey Orchid

Mar 11th, '10, 04:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Mar 11th, '10, 04:22

Sorry Bubba, I have the Jun Zi Lan, but have not yet tried it, I will see what I can do in the next day or so.

I have tried the Tipsy Concubine and was immediately impressed, the first 3 or 4 infusions were very very good, but then it stopped producing, the 5th brew showed the leaves were spent. Definitely one to enjoy from time to time; it produces an unexpectedly pale colour (I thought I had brewed it too weak until I lifted it to my nose and lips) it packed a delightful range of aroma and flavour that I found very enjoyable. I then went back to look at Gordon's description and notes and could believe that I was drinking the same tea.

I will try and open the Bush Lily soon! H

Mar 11th, '10, 07:01

by Herb_Master » Mar 11th, '10, 07:01

Well there is no time like the present! :D Your query hasprompted me to open the Bush Lily.

DTH packaging has changed since my previous purchases, the leaves are perfectly unbroken in a Sealed foil packet with DTH branding, and varietal name on an applied sticky white label.

I used a 170ml Drop Ball of Chen's at 170 ml, 7.3 grams and infusions of 17 seconds, 26 seconds and 43 seconds (plus pour)

Nose into the pitcher / fair cup showed a fairly strong yet subdued aroma, and an initial taste impression the same.

All 3 brews were similar, the 3rd revealing more mineral notes.

General impression, pleasant, easy to brew, inoffensive with it's own personality - not an everyday tea for me, but a good one to have when one wants to try something different, or share a range of Oolong differentials with a friend or two.

The thing that stands out is a flavour that my palate can't quite identify. I once had a flower tea that I thought was disgusting, the unique personality of this tea has me casting my mind back to the flower tea, but this time I enjoy it!

It is a sort of dark green floral idea that flows through my mind whilst trying to find an adjective to label it with. Possibly chrysanthemum leaf :x something that is suggestive of bitterness whilst not being bitter.

I am not familiar with Osmanthus or Bush Lily but can only presume that if I was then I too would use those adjectives.

It is amazing that so many different aromas and tastes can be coaxed out by different varietals in the hands of master tea makers and roasters. This seems to be on the light side in terms of oxidisation and roasting but packs good flavour.

I can only assume that is 100% genuine and has not been sat alongside Bush lilies whilst being made. Maybe not one that I would rush out to repurchase, but very happy with the purchase that I have made.

Now off to Read Gordon's notes to see how my impressions compare.

Mar 16th, '10, 14:00

by Bubba_tea » Mar 16th, '10, 14:00

Thanks for the updates - that lily sounds like an apt description. I'll contact Gordon for some samples and see how it goes then.

@ Alucard - did you get your Honey in yet?

Mar 16th, '10, 17:56

by Alucard » Mar 16th, '10, 17:56

I just got it today. I am sure I did not brew it correctly...i think I over-brewed, its a bit strong tastes like WuYi w/o the smokiness. The after taste is pleasant a dark oolong flavor with a hint of honey. I will have to perfect my brew technique as this is the first DC I have tried.

Mar 20th, '10, 20:07

by Herb_Master » Mar 20th, '10, 20:07

I had the bottom of the bag of a 2 year old + Teacuppa DHP last night it was powerful!

Tonight I tried the DTH Tipsy Concubine again, a little more leaf, and slightly longer brews - it is still delicate and did not impress me as much as the first time - seemed lightweight maybe because of the DHP last night? Maybe because I was not in the mood for a light and delicate Wuyi tonight ? Maybe because the Necessiteas yixing that I was using was less suitable than Chens ?

I need to see it impress me again on my next session before I consider buying it again, which is strange because my first session had me believing I would be buying it again!

That said, I got a lot more out of it on the 5th and 6th infusions :o

Next time I shall up the leaf density, and see how it goes!

Apr 16th, '10, 18:12

by Bubba_tea » Apr 16th, '10, 18:12

Herbmaster - did you get back to any other samples from your dth order?

Apr 23rd, '10, 15:03

by Herb_Master » Apr 23rd, '10, 15:03

Bubba_tea wrote:Herbmaster - did you get back to any other samples from your dth order?
I have not had any chinese tea for 26 days, I went to europe (walking holiday in the Picos De Europa) for 16 days holiday, but because of a volcanic eruption the airline decided that I needed an additional 10 days holiday in Bilbao (at my own expense)

I had tried 2 of them, will try the 3rd one shortly (Jade in Rock)

Oct 23rd, '10, 19:46

by Herb_Master » Oct 23rd, '10, 19:46

Bubba_tea wrote:Herbmaster - did you get back to any other samples from your dth order?
Wow - doesn't time fly :shock: I just opened the
Shi Zhong Yu - Jade in Rock
tonight :shock:

I was intending to try this one after the Zui Gui Fei - Tipsy Concubine, but your thread steered me on to the Bush Lily.

Last night I finished work at 22:00 and collapsed on the sofa for an hour or more, before starting a Xiamen - San Yin Shui Hsien - It was warming and Cheering and more than pleasant and made a very favourable impression on my manner, demeanour and mind.

Tonight I finished work at 22:00 and felt even more exhausted than last night, round about 23:00 I thought "I need another warming Yan Cha"

I opened Jade in Rock wondering about the name, brewed as last night,
8.5 grams in a 170 ml Chen Duo Qiu (Di Cao Qing)
Boiling water rinse, 6 seconds 1st Infusion, 15 seconds 2nd and 25 seconds 3rd.

Nowhere near as cheery as the Shui hsien, dificult to detedt much aroma wise. 1st brew too lightweight, 2nd strong delicate ash and mineral notes.
3rd more mineral and ash with a hint of very soft charcoal.

Verdict - The jury is still out, not a comforting tea for the mentally and physically exhausted, but not demanding or taxing either. I need to try it again when I am wide eyed and bushy tailed.

Of the 3 I ordered, If I go again to try some of Gordon's other offerings (currently) I would only reorder the Tipsy Concubine. I may change my mind about this one after a sunny, alert, daylight session.

The name of this one intrigues me, subconciously I try and imagine the taste with a connection to the name (my dancong experience influencing perhaps) but in reality yan cha names (in the main) have nothing to do with taste. Perhaps the tree was first found in a cliff face and the leaves of this tree glistened against the rocky background like pieces of jade :lol:

Oct 23rd, '10, 19:48

by Herb_Master » Oct 23rd, '10, 19:48

Bubba_tea wrote:Thanks for the updates - that lily sounds like an apt description. I'll contact Gordon for some samples and see how it goes then.
Did you ever get some samples, what was your opinion?

Nov 18th, '10, 18:51

by Herb_Master » Nov 18th, '10, 18:51

Tried the Jun Zi Lan again yesterday, it seems a well made tea, but not one of my favourites. I find the Lily fragrance is not really my favourite.

Nov 19th, '10, 00:54

by tingjunkie » Nov 19th, '10, 00:54

Herb_Master wrote:
I will try and open the Bush Lily soon!
Best. Euphemism. EVER. :lol: (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Nov 20th, '10, 04:56

by Alex » Nov 20th, '10, 04:56

tingjunkie wrote:
Herb_Master wrote:
I will try and open the Bush Lily soon!
Best. Euphemism. EVER. :lol: (Sorry, couldn't help myself)
LMAO :lol:

Dec 31st, '10, 01:49

by BioHorn » Dec 31st, '10, 01:49

An order from Gordon arrived while I was gone. I get home in a couple of days.

Once I have brewed a them I will post my reaction. It will be interesting to compare with others.

Gordon has always been very prompt in shipping and response. I had an issue with USPS returning my last order :x from him and he is supposed to reship.

Happy New Year!

Hans

+ Post Reply