Mar 16th, '10, 10:34

Re: Petr Novák - Pots under influence of tea

by Petr Novák » Mar 16th, '10, 10:34

The best of the kiln...

My friend who likes my pots asks me to make from each kiln "the best of" selection, one or two pieces, take a picture and keep this pieces for him. This makes me wonder how to define "the best of". There are several points of view, several approaches how to make this selection and if the firing was successful it is almost impossible (to choose one from twenty-five when every of them have its own story). I tend to choose pieces which are not so noticeable beautiful and attractive. Pots with gray feeling...but then most people do not understand why this „ordinery“pots are the best. My answer is that they are ordinary and quiet.

Here are “the best of” the from the last fire.
foto 001.jpg
foto 001.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Finely the spring is coming here and it inspired me to create this summer Chawan. Frozen landscape of rocks and forests.
foto 003.jpg
foto 003.jpg (46.9 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
foto 005.jpg
foto 005.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Last edited by Petr Novák on Mar 16th, '10, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 16th, '10, 10:37

by Petr Novák » Mar 16th, '10, 10:37

And here is one small teapot which was glazed only inside with stronger touch of fire on stoneware body. At the top of this pot I put before firing straw to create natural decoration.
foto 012.jpg
foto 012.jpg (36.03 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
It is 100ml and It will fits to roasted and rolled oolongs.
foto 013.jpg
foto 013.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
foto 014.jpg
foto 014.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 4325 times

Mar 16th, '10, 21:12

by rjiwrth » Mar 16th, '10, 21:12

Seriously. That pot. Beautiful. My mind takes a journey just looking at the textural variations and fire-kissed furrows. I can't wait for my teaware to arrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 16th, '10, 21:30
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 16th, '10, 21:30

Petr Novák wrote:I tend to choose pieces which are not so noticeable beautiful and attractive. Pots with gray feeling...but then most people do not understand why this „ordinery“pots are the best. My answer is that they are ordinary and quiet.
I agree with you completely! I prefer those kinds of teaware myself. My wife think's I'm crazy. She like the obviously pretty pieces.

Gorgeous work!

Mar 17th, '10, 00:36

by spittingoutteeth » Mar 17th, '10, 00:36

I have a small teapot and a chawan/cup set on the way from Petr, but I was in my local teashop (Dobra Tea) tonight and couldn't resist buying this beautiful cup--

This cup will be dedicated to Japanese greens, starting with the tamaryokucha I brewed tonight. Thank you Petr!

Mar 17th, '10, 00:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 17th, '10, 00:45

That is a shuweeet cup. I hope you enjoy your Japanese greens in it for many years.

Mar 17th, '10, 01:51

by spittingoutteeth » Mar 17th, '10, 01:51

Thanks Chip! The picture doesn't do it justice; it's a really lovely cup and it fits perfectly in my hand. I really like it for Japanese greens because of how high and narrow it is. It maintains the low warm temperature needed very well and pushes the aromas of the tea right up into the nostrils when the cup is brought up to the mouth. The fact that it's a beautiful design is just icing on the cake! :)

Mar 17th, '10, 07:06

by rjiwrth » Mar 17th, '10, 07:06

spittingoutteeth wrote:Thanks Chip! The picture doesn't do it justice; it's a really lovely cup and it fits perfectly in my hand. I really like it for Japanese greens because of how high and narrow it is. It maintains the low warm temperature needed very well and pushes the aromas of the tea right up into the nostrils when the cup is brought up to the mouth. The fact that it's a beautiful design is just icing on the cake! :)
OOOOOOOOooooooo. Lovely cup, Spittingoutteeth! I am soooo lucky I do not have Dobra here. I honestly believe I would forgo food and basic needs to obtain Petr's wares. I have some items on the way from him also and I must practice great restraint when I see new pics from him. I will stay away from that website of his for a few months! Yikes!

Mar 17th, '10, 09:37
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 17th, '10, 09:37

That is a stunning cup!

Mar 17th, '10, 13:52

by Petr Novák » Mar 17th, '10, 13:52

Thank you for your kind words everybody. I hope that your pots are going to be in your hands soon.

IPT wrote:
Petr Novák wrote:I tend to choose pieces which are not so noticeable beautiful and attractive. Pots with gray feeling...but then most people do not understand why this „ordinery“pots are the best. My answer is that they are ordinary and quiet.
I agree with you completely! I prefer those kinds of teaware myself. My wife think's I'm crazy. She like the obviously pretty pieces.

Gorgeous work!
I think that your wife will appreciate the pieces which are on their way to you.The pieces you have choosen are not conspicuous but are kind of charming.

Dear Spittingoutteeth, thank you for taking picture of your new cup and posting it here. I have not seen it for several months and it nice to know that it is going to be use for Japanese teas.

Today I had my first fresh tea of this year-sun dried Yunnan- and its fragrances and taste blow my mind…

fresh tea – fresh cups
foto 024.jpg
foto 024.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

Mar 17th, '10, 14:20

by Herb_Master » Mar 17th, '10, 14:20

Petr, I have been thinking abour your reply on Fair Cups for the last few days.

I have not seen any Fair Cups in your gallery, or in Photobucket, or your Tea Chat topic that come close to what I had in mind. However I do love lots of your finishes and would love to have a Fair Cup in one or more of them.

The Fair cups that I currently have come in these shapes (all between 120ml and 200ml) :-

I prefer it when the interior is a pale colour, to get an idea of the strength of the tea before I complete pouring from the teapot.

But would be interested in something a little taller and narrower to reduce the surface area at the top

such as this one I found on the web

I also sometimes use this Gaibei

but prefer it with jug or teapot style handle, thus I sometimes use a small teapot such as this 200ml glass teapot

In fact a jug is not to dissimilar to a teapot, without the lid, the top half of the spout removed, and the top lip of the teapot extended up slightly and flared out a little perhaps :wink:

I love the shape and colouring of your Sumo teapot, but it is too large for the purpose I have in mind - would it be possible to make a smaller version without lid, with a jug spout rather than a teapot spout and slight modifications to the top? In sizes such as 170 ml, 220 ml and 270 ml

I also love the shape and colouring of your Tree Bark pot, could it be turned into a Fair cup of 120ml , 180ml and 240 ml

I also like the TreeBark and Snakeskin Cups but could they also be made with the same exterior but with a whitish or very pale blue/green/yellow interior (yellow salt, prairie hay . . . ) and also in different sizes such as 50ml and 75ml

My current favourite cup for dinking YanCha is a fairly chunky Borneol holds only 50ml but weighs in at 116gm. The shape reminds me of a flower with slight indentations as if it was where the petals meet. These indentations make it a comfortable firm fit in my hand as well as looking attractive.

I don't know if you could make a cup in this style of 40ml, 50ml, 60ml or 70ml - fairly weighty, with a pale interior and any external finish such as Snakeskin, TreeBark,

- mmmn - a few ideas to throw at you :D

Mar 17th, '10, 15:22

by Petr Novák » Mar 17th, '10, 15:22

Dear Herb_Master,

Really challenging thoughts …Tomorrow I will take some pictures of fair cups which I have in a stock- they do not fit exactly to your concepts but only for showing more possibilities…

Then it will takes time but I would like to try it. This kind of work can learn me a lot.

Here is older one…
fair cup.jpg
fair cup.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 4430 times

Mar 17th, '10, 17:51

by Herb_Master » Mar 17th, '10, 17:51

Thanks Petr, that one looks nice.

I have 2 requirements.

1. To fill gaps in my Fair Cup collection size wise.

2. To find Fair Cups that will keep the tea warm longer when I am drinking slowly.

I am happy to start with Fair Cups that satisfy just one of those requirements.

Or do I have 3 Requiremets ?
I also want to get a good look at the colour of the brew in the faircup.

The one you have just illustrated looks nice, if it can be made in varying sizes, with something like a Tree Bark finish, I would certainly be interested.

From your work I have been looking mainly at some wonderful shapes and exterior decoration, what I don't know is if a selection of clay type, or a thicker wall, would give significantly longer heat retention to the brew.

Mar 17th, '10, 21:14
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 17th, '10, 21:14

Personally I use a second teapot as a fair cup. It keeps the tea hotter longer and I just love the look of having two teapots on my tea tray. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy more teapots. :lol:

Besides, think how great two of Petr's teapots sitting together would look on a tea tray.

Mar 18th, '10, 02:33

by Petr Novák » Mar 18th, '10, 02:33

Yes ITP, second teapot is also solution. Sometime I use second teapot but sometime I prefer extra cup- usually for smaller amount of tea.

Herb_Master

I think I understand to your requirements and hopefully I can make some of these to the next firing (in tree weeks)

Here other pictures of fair cups
foto 031.jpg
foto 031.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Here you can see snake skin glaze on different clay body- porcelain cup and light stoneware fair cup on the right
foto 032.jpg
foto 032.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
And here is one of my double walled cups. It has interesting feeling-it looks like big or heavy cup but than it suprice you that it is not- it is small and pretty light
foto 034.jpg
foto 034.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 4401 times

+ Post Reply