Gluten Free Re-Dux

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Gluten Free Re-Dux

Postby Aphroditea » Mar 19th, '10, 18:40

I know that auggy and Geekgirl brought this subject up before, but I could not find a definative answer...

I know the answer has everything to do with the practices of those processing the teas, but does Adagio have any information on which of the teas they sell are or are not gluten free?

Thanks,
Aphy
Aphroditea

Re: Gluten Free Re-Dux

Postby Geekgirl » Mar 19th, '10, 19:19

All teas are gluten-free except for barley teas, and a very few fruit chunk containing teas that may be dusted with flour to prevent sticking together. I would expect the latter scenario to be only in the case of the very cheapest ingredients.

There has also been some misinformation out there about gluten in the teabags and/or labels attached to the teabags, but this seems to mostly be circulating unsubstantiated rumors.
Geekgirl

Postby Schrammy » Mar 19th, '10, 19:42

All teas are gluten free that don't have glue in the bags (excluding barley teas).

~ The Celiac
Schrammy

Postby Aphroditea » Mar 19th, '10, 21:06

Thanks guys!

The list the doctor sent home with my mother was confusing because tea was listed in both the allowed and not allowed column. For not allowed though, the word tea was proceeded by 'processed' - which boggled me since all tea is processed - which I took to mean 'bagged', but also wondered if it had to do with certain flavoring additives since one brand listed to avoid is Celestial Seasonings and I know they like to add flavored oils to their teas.

I suppose I will tell her to keep using her Adagio bags for the loose leaf and if it ever upsets her stomach to just stop drinking it.

Thanks again!
Aphroditea

Postby Schrammy » Mar 19th, '10, 21:21

Flavor additives = not always GF. I know Celestial are NOT too GF friendly. I think processed is any tea that comes down a conveyor belt. If you have any questions (outside of tea even) about GF anything, shoot me a message.
Schrammy

Postby Geekgirl » Mar 19th, '10, 21:44

Oh yeah, I forget about artificial flavorings because I avoid them as a general rule, but very true.

If she sticks to minimally processed leaf and herbal teas, she should be perfectly safe.

Mighty Leaf (one of the few bagged teas I will use,) has this explanation on their website:

"None of our blends contain wheat, rye, barley, or oats, so the tea itself is gluten-free. However, our teas may be processed in a facility that also processes gluten products, opening up the risk for cross contamination."

So if she is ultra-sensitive, that would be something to keep in mind if she is looking for teabags or blends.
Geekgirl

Postby Chip » Mar 19th, '10, 21:48

I am not giving up on my MUGI!!! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Instant Messenger

Permissions