Jun 18th, '06, 00:02

Bodum Pavina glasses

by studio271 » Jun 18th, '06, 00:02

Well, I figured it was time to switch over to a new drinking utensil, and ordered a set of Bodum Pavina (15-oz) glasses last week. They're the new line of double-walled glass drinking utensils (think Thermos, but made from tempered borosilicate) from Bodum. So far, I am enjoying their use. I really do enjoy the ability to see what I'm drinking. (I am not affiliated with Bodum in any way)

Here it is in action, with some Adagio Gunpowder inside.

A note: a lot of people who have purchased these from a certain supplier named after a certain South-American river have compained about the fragility. I, however, find them to be perfectly normal. I drink enough tea to where I really have no reason to wash them in the dishwasher, and tea is all that I use them for. I don't mix anything into the tea, so I don't have to put spoons in there, and I don't drink iced tea, so I don't have to put ice cubes in there. Based on what I've read, I wouldn't recommend doing either of those things with these.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my opinion here in case anyone else wanted to try them for themselves.

Jun 18th, '06, 14:36

by MarshalN » Jun 18th, '06, 14:36

A lot of people indiscriminately put stuff in dishwasher without thinking about it first, and then complains when it breaks or changes shape/colour (like with Calphalon pans). It's rather silly

Most complaints on amazon are actually the result of improper use by the user

Jun 18th, '06, 19:16

by procarel » Jun 18th, '06, 19:16

I'm looking forward to the nine ounce size Bodum Pavina glasses that I ordered from Amazon. Some on that site mentioned that the smaller ones seemed to be a little sturdier but like you I am going to be drinking nothing but hot tea in them so with a little care they should hold up fine. I agree with you, seeing the color of various teas should be a nice extra.

Jun 18th, '06, 22:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 18th, '06, 22:37

I have wanted to get a couple different ones for a while just for tea. I bet they look awesome while brewing green tea in the cup without a strainer...there are a bunch of sizes and styles...

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/home.asp?CHK=1288
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 19th, '06, 13:36

by klemptor » Jun 19th, '06, 13:36

I've got the 9oz size and I really like them.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Sep 28th, '06, 02:03

by Tea Porter » Sep 28th, '06, 02:03

I've got (4) Bodum 9oz size glasses and the Bodum 12oz. tea pot and I love them both. I tell myself I will drink out of other cups but I never do.

enjoy.[/i]

Nov 21st, '06, 15:08

by deadalchemist » Nov 21st, '06, 15:08

I'm really satisfied with Bodom's products. I have two glasses (and they both came with infusers) and a little Assam teapot. I really like the teapot, although it takes a little getting used to. I brewed about 6 cups before I got it right. It has a little pump...and when it recommends using the pump instead of just letting it brew, USE THE PUMP. The tea tastes weak if you dont; so just dont use it as a recommendation like it says. From my experience Bodom has come out with a lot of good products.

Mar 19th, '07, 12:46

by Mary R » Mar 19th, '07, 12:46

Grrr! Frustration!

I've just broken the second of the two Bodum Pavina cups I bought late in January. I don't have a dishwasher, so they never experienced that particular hazard. I just can't hold onto them while I'm handwashing. The very curved shape makes it a bit tricky to get a firm grip on them, especially when they are all soapy, and since the borosilicate glass is pretty thin--unlike other pyrex glass--it doesn't stand a chance when dropped from even an inch into a porcelain sink.

I'm a bit broken up (hah) over this. They are GORGEOUS glasses and it is so fun to watch tea brew in them. I had wanted to purchase some more, but in light of their short lifespan with me I guess I'll look into replacing them with something different. Drat and damn.

Why do I still have all my ugly Goodwill coffee cups, but destroy everything pretty and expensive?

Mar 19th, '07, 12:55

by Chip » Mar 19th, '07, 12:55

Mary R wrote:Grrr! Frustration!

I've just broken the second of the two Bodum Pavina cups I bought late in January. I don't have a dishwasher, so they never experienced that particular hazard. I just can't hold onto them while I'm handwashing. The very curved shape makes it a bit tricky to get a firm grip on them, especially when they are all soapy, and since the borosilicate glass is pretty thin--unlike other pyrex glass--it doesn't stand a chance when dropped from even an inch into a porcelain sink.

I'm a bit broken up (hah) over this. They are GORGEOUS glasses and it is so fun to watch tea brew in them. I had wanted to purchase some more, but in light of their short lifespan with me I guess I'll look into replacing them with something different. Drat and damn.

Why do I still have all my ugly Goodwill coffee cups, but destroy everything pretty and expensive?
Mary...that is a real bummer...I know how you feel.

I have yet to get these because they do look so fragile. So I still use my same old set of 4 (now 3) Japanese simple white tea cups that were dirt cheap and I have used for 5-6 years.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 19th, '07, 13:47

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 19th, '07, 13:47

Yeah, those did feel pretty fragile, I picked one up in a store once and thought I could punch through it with my thumb. Bodum's teapots are very sturdy, though. I dropped my 2-cup "shin cha" pot in the sink from about a foot above once but somehow it came out unscathed. I had one of those instantaneous "oh [insert expletive of choice], it's gotta be broken" moments as it was falling/bouncing around, but I guess I was lucky. I'm pretty sure the pot is made of thicker glass-- I guess it would have to be.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 19th, '07, 14:30

by Mary R » Mar 19th, '07, 14:30

Thanks, guys. I'm slowly working my way through the grief. :D

That's a great description of how they feel, Scruff. I thought the same thing when I first picked one up. It scared the bejeebus out of me, but they proved to be fairly sturdy in that respect. They just have no forgiveness for being dropped at all, though. Meh, such is life. Now if I could just find a sturdier 5 oz cup with a 3 inch diameter opening, I'd be happy.

+ Post Reply