Mar 20th, '10, 06:29

Re: NEW! The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

by Petr Novák » Mar 20th, '10, 06:29

Here is one small, very simple and quiet cup I was happy to got from Park Jong Il. You can also learn about this artist on this blog http://morningcranetea.blogspot.com/
foto 104.jpg
foto 104.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
foto 106.jpg
foto 106.jpg (12.63 KiB) Viewed 3392 times

Mar 20th, '10, 09:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 20th, '10, 09:09

brad4419 wrote:Beautiful teaware all around! Im so glad you started this topic because I know nothing about korean teaware.
Likewise, Brad. I hope that anyone more knowledgable on the subject will please enlighten us.
TIM wrote: Image

A commercial grade Gwangju celadon set. Brewing up some moroccan green tea.
OK TIM, so this set has an actual name for the set/style? I know a bunch of members have this style set which was listed as "travel set." Any more info or translation? Thanks!
Thank you Petr and Victoria for sharing photos of Korean wares, etc. with us.

Mar 20th, '10, 12:29

by Tead Off » Mar 20th, '10, 12:29

Chip,

Gwangju is a place in Korea. Maybe they made the set there.

Mar 20th, '10, 12:57

by Victoria » Mar 20th, '10, 12:57

Petr that is a great cup - I wants!!! I really need some Korean artisan pieces. And some Czech pieces as well. :)

Mar 20th, '10, 19:13
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 20th, '10, 19:13

A Traditional set of Hwagae Hagi ware, brew a high mountain wild Balhyicha side by side with my 2nd generation dai hong pao. Who's better? Of course the local won.

btw, chip- why is my previous set listed as "travel set" :roll: I know the Korean name, but can't type it here :wink: It's just a modern day Korean tea drinker's brewing vessel, mostly for Korean green or bird's tongue to be correct. Can't use it for any tea which requires hotter temp. brewing.
Last edited by TIM on Jun 14th, '10, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 20th, '10, 19:43

by Chip » Mar 20th, '10, 19:43

Thanks Tead Off!
TIM wrote:Image

A Traditional set of Hwagae Hagi ware, brew a high mountain wild Balhyicha side by side with my 2nd generation dai hong pao. How's better? Of course the local won.

btw, chip- why is my previous set listed as "travel set" :roll: I know the Korean name, but can't type it here :wink: It's just a modern day Korean tea drinker's brewing vessel, mostly for Korean green or bird's tongue to be correct. Can't use it for any tea which requires hotter temp. brewing.
Nice ones TIM!

I don't know why Hankook lists the previously pictured sets as "travel sets." They could work for that, but would need a travel case of some kind for protection ... which would make a nice little kit actually. :mrgreen:

The travel sets aquired from Hankook have therefore never left the house.

How much water does your version hold, pot and cup? Thanks.

Mar 24th, '10, 16:45

by Petr Novák » Mar 24th, '10, 16:45

Here is set from pottery studio which belongs to Daeseungsa temple. It was gift from monk and I like it. Very ordinary and as you can see on picture below the potter there makes a lot of them. They have two kinds of pottery production there- this stoneware tea ware and onggi- pots for kimchi.
sl__v__k_korea_lukon_zalit__.jpg
sl__v__k_korea_lukon_zalit__.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
cups.JPG
cups.JPG (61.35 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
daesungsa.JPG
daesungsa.JPG (32.42 KiB) Viewed 3294 times

Mar 24th, '10, 21:05

by Chip » Mar 24th, '10, 21:05

It seems like this type of set is fairly common as several members have now posted one?

Nice one!

And wow, that is a lot of teaware just stacked up like clay plant pots. Looks like some of these sets are in there as well ...

Mar 29th, '10, 11:06

by Chip » Mar 29th, '10, 11:06

Another simple so called "travel set" from Hankook. Very precocious, holding 2 ounces. The brew vessel will hold a bit more, but the cup will only hold 2 ounces max.

Apr 7th, '10, 09:11

by Miyabi » Apr 7th, '10, 09:11

Hello!
Thanks so much for this topic - before, I didn't know about this great contemporary pottery from korea, it really was an eye-opener!

Sadly, a small problem came along with my excitement (and the urge to buy something... :wink: ):
I hope this isn't too off-topic - but could someone be so kind to explain how to order from Hong Seong il's Website (http://blog.naver.com/ttogarii.do)?
There are so many absolutely wonderful items in the gallery :D , but on choosing "online shop" nothing is displayed, just a link to the gallery (which has prices, but no information about availability or how to order). Under this link are 9 pages indicated - which all have the same content - nothing but the link. :shock:
HongSongIl_Shopx.jpg
Screenshot from the "online shop" as displayed on my PC...
HongSongIl_Shopx.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Maybe it's just a problem with my settings :oops: (though I can't figure what that may be...).
It would be great, if someone enlighten me!! Thanks so much!

Apr 7th, '10, 13:46

by Tead Off » Apr 7th, '10, 13:46

I think the best solution is to email him and tell him you are interested in some things. His English is not great and his website is rather confusing, but, he will respond. Try to be patient.

I will see him when I go to Korea at the end of the month and will try to tell him about his website/blog and how confusing it is for buyers.

Apr 7th, '10, 15:48

by Miyabi » Apr 7th, '10, 15:48

Thanks!
By the way, have a nice stay in Korea!

So it's not my PC (or me...).
I will try to mail him - when I'm finally able to choose :roll: . So hard to decide on just ONE teapot or ONE (set...) of cups.

Apr 7th, '10, 21:26
Vendor Member

by IPT » Apr 7th, '10, 21:26

Miyabi wrote:Thanks!
I will try to mail him - when I'm finally able to choose :roll: . So hard to decide on just ONE teapot or ONE (set...) of cups.
Get Both. :lol:

Apr 12th, '10, 22:20

by debunix » Apr 12th, '10, 22:20

TIM wrote:btw, chip- why is my previous set listed as "travel set" :roll: I know the Korean name, but can't type it here :wink: It's just a modern day Korean tea drinker's brewing vessel, mostly for Korean green or bird's tongue to be correct. Can't use it for any tea which requires hotter temp. brewing.
+1

just tried my little 'travel set' for a little shu puerh, because most of my other teaware here at work was dirty, used it for a very forgiving and flexible tea, and my fingers were not happy at the temperatures that were reached in the first few infusions.

Apr 12th, '10, 22:36

by Chip » Apr 12th, '10, 22:36

debunix wrote:
TIM wrote:btw, chip- why is my previous set listed as "travel set" :roll: I know the Korean name, but can't type it here :wink: It's just a modern day Korean tea drinker's brewing vessel, mostly for Korean green or bird's tongue to be correct. Can't use it for any tea which requires hotter temp. brewing.
+1

just tried my little 'travel set' for a little shu puerh, because most of my other teaware here at work was dirty, used it for a very forgiving and flexible tea, and my fingers were not happy at the temperatures that were reached in the first few infusions.
I just used one with boiling water for oolong ... if you reach under it and place your thumb over the lid nob, it is not hot at all. :idea:

The steep before I thought I might scream when I held it with a 3 point method holding the sides and lid. :shock:

+ Post Reply