Mar 25th, '10, 19:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Tea Storage Question

by Kathryn » Mar 25th, '10, 19:54

I'm just getting started with loose tea, and it's about time I start looking into storage options. I've done some hunting already, but I've not really found anything that I liked very well. I was hoping that maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. :D

I want something that will be properly airtight, but not horribly difficult to open. A lot of the tins I've seen are similar to the sample tins I got from Adagio, and I'm not quite happy with them. A couple of them leak fragrance rather badly, and at least one is impossible to open without the help of someone stronger than myself.

I was thinking maybe something with a screw-on lid, or one of those locking gaskets. They'd probably be easier to open, but do they seal sufficiently? Also, where to find them...I've not had much luck. Or, I'd be open to a push-down lidded tin, if someone could vouch that they'll open easily enough.

As to size, I'm a little unsure. Tea is sold by weight, right? Well, generally containers give their size by volume...and I don't know how to convert that. I know it'll vary between teas, but is there a way to guess? Or do I just have to buy the tea and dump it into a measuring cup to get the volume?

I was thinking of getting a couple for 8 oz (by weight) of tea, and a few smaller ones (maybe 4 oz by weight?), too. Not sure if I'd need anything smaller than that...maybe something the size of Adagio's samples.

The tins don't need to be pretty. Honestly, just a solid colored tin that I can stick a label on would be great.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thank you!

Mar 25th, '10, 20:31

Re: Tea Storage Question

by Chatsworth » Mar 25th, '10, 20:31

I had posted a while back asking for a source for tea tins, here is a link to the responses:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 39#p145232

Good luck.

Mar 25th, '10, 20:39

by Chip » Mar 25th, '10, 20:39

Hi Kathryn,
TeaStorage is a fave and often discussed topic on TeaChat. We all face this question, and are often either overwhelmed with choices or starving for suggestions.

As we begin to discuss this, you can also page through this Teaware and Accessories forum and find numerous topics that will definitely be helpful. Here is a recent topic. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12239 (oops, chatsworth beat me to it)

Here is a recent TeaDay topic as well: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12557

I think each of us has to find the right path to meet our individual needs. I prefer double lidded Washi tins with sample tins inside. This offers 3 levels of protection to keep green teas as fresh as possible, but some may say this is excessive. :mrgreen: I think it is just right. (just a phone photo)

Mar 26th, '10, 11:38

by nonc_ron » Mar 26th, '10, 11:38

Hi Kathryn,
For now just buy tea that comes in a tin.
Next thing you know you will have a collection of tall, short, round & square tea tins. Each with it's own story.
And by then you will have an idea of what size/volume/shape tin's you want to buy. :D
I prefer the traditional double lid tea tin.
My 2c

Mar 26th, '10, 19:27

by Kathryn » Mar 26th, '10, 19:27

Thank you for the replies, Chatsworth, Chip, and nonc_ron. =) I actually already read all the storage-related threads I could find here on TeaChat, but I didn't find anything that was quite what I had in mind.

I think the closest thing was a screw top tin from Rishi, but it's out of stock. And it only comes in one size, besides. So I'd still need another one for smaller amounts. It's not a good idea to put just a little tea in a big canister, right? I think I read that somewhere.

And I like the pattern on your tin, Chip! Very pretty. :D Washi...those are the ones covered in paper, right? Is it a thick sort of paper, so it won't tear easily, I'm guessing?

That's good advice, nonc_ron...now, if only Adagio wasn't discontinuing their tins! I'd planned to stick with them for a while before branching out. Ah, well. I'll figure something out. :D

Mar 26th, '10, 21:52

by iannon » Mar 26th, '10, 21:52

I also use the double lidded washi type tins like Chip there. i dont use a sample tin inside as Chip does but i usualy DO put my tea or keep my tea in those sealable zip bags they come in INSIDE the washi tin. you can get those type fairly inexpensively anyway

Mar 27th, '10, 22:16

by Chip » Mar 27th, '10, 22:16

Mar 27th, '10, 22:18

by Geekgirl » Mar 27th, '10, 22:18

LOL! chip, 47 tins? Holy carp.

Mar 27th, '10, 22:26

by Chip » Mar 27th, '10, 22:26

OCD X 47 ... :mrgreen:

Mar 27th, '10, 22:50

by Geekgirl » Mar 27th, '10, 22:50

and that's only the ones you're getting rid of eh?

Mar 27th, '10, 23:29

by Chip » Mar 27th, '10, 23:29

I am glad to be in such good company since we are all a bit OCD about something related to tea ... :mrgreen:

I am definitely OCD about tea freshness, and these definitely keep tea fresh! :idea:

Mar 28th, '10, 00:41
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 28th, '10, 00:41

I think we're all OCD. That's why we get along so well. Does tea promote OCD, or does OCD tend to promote tea? I wonder. :D

The containers with rubber gaskets and a locking mechanism are great for storing tea. Canning jars are a great option, but they must be kept in a dark place, or covered in paper or painted to keep light out. I have a vacuum sealer, so I keep my teas in bags, but those are not for everyone. I then keep them in one of my freezers.

+ Post Reply