tea packaged in transparent plastic?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 28th, '10, 15:58

tea packaged in transparent plastic?

by verus » Mar 28th, '10, 15:58

Hi,

a tea shop in my neighborhood has loose leaf tea which is packaged in little bags which are paper on the outside with plastic lining on the inside. The bags have a window of transparent plastic so you can see the tea inside the bag.

I was wondering if this might cause the tea to deteriorate more quickly; because the tea is sitting on the shelves in the shop all day and is therefore exposed to some light. I had noticed some of their teas tasted off, maybe this is why??

Mar 28th, '10, 16:10
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: tea packaged in transparent plastic?

by Chip » Mar 28th, '10, 16:10

verus wrote:Hi,

a tea shop in my neighborhood has loose leaf tea which is packaged in little bags which are paper on the outside with plastic lining on the inside. The bags have a window of transparent plastic so you can see the tea inside the bag.

I was wondering if this might cause the tea to deteriorate more quickly; because the tea is sitting on the shelves in the shop all day and is therefore exposed to some light. I had noticed some of their teas tasted off, maybe this is why??
Certainly very possible. In fact, very likely in combination with they are likely not very good selections to begin with.

An educated vendor would likely better source their teas as well as once they had them they would make certain they were packaged properly.

These two functions go hand in hand! If one aspect is missing, the other is likely as well.

IMHO ...

Mar 28th, '10, 16:43

by verus » Mar 28th, '10, 16:43

Thanks...I suspected as much. Their black teas usually taste OK, but the green teas are just dull.

It's too bad, because they used to have really good stuff. They're a chain of stores and one of their stores had tea in large metal containers which kept them much fresher. Their lungjing when it had been stored in the metal container versus their lungjing when I had it from one of the see through bags is just no comparison, it was like another tea.

Mar 31st, '10, 05:54

by skilfautdire » Mar 31st, '10, 05:54

About storing teas: I received recently a few teas from China packed in two 'ziploc' (but not the freezer quality bag) plastic bags. One bag containing the tea, and that bag put into another. The weights are 250g each, 2010 teas so they're fluffy and take ample space. What would be the best way to assure taste-keeping ?

Mar 31st, '10, 11:13

by nonc_ron » Mar 31st, '10, 11:13

skilfautdire wrote:About storing teas: I received recently a few teas from China packed in two 'ziploc' . What would be the best way to assure taste-keeping ?
I put mine into canisters as soon as it arrives.
Works for me! ImageCheers!

Mar 31st, '10, 18:59

by skilfautdire » Mar 31st, '10, 18:59

Still, is there any drawback in leaving them in the plastic bags, away from light in a basement for instance ?

Canisters with inner lids that go down as the tea quatity diminishes are great but that aside, having tea in an half-filled canister, having all that air space, does give me the impression that keeping them in a plastic bag is better. Do plastic bags alter the taste in any ways ? Would high-quality, freezer-grade Ziploc (TM) bags be better ?

Mar 31st, '10, 19:20

by Chip » Mar 31st, '10, 19:20

Foil lined style bags like many vendors have, yes.

Zip locks made of clearish plastic, never.

Sometimes out of necessity, members in a swap might send something in a clear plastic zip lock bag, that is one thing. But to store it in such a bag is never a good idea. They are gas permeable for one thing.

Mar 31st, '10, 21:17

by skilfautdire » Mar 31st, '10, 21:17

Good enough. Thanks for the information. Are these foil lined bags available at supermarkets ?

Mar 31st, '10, 22:23

by Chip » Mar 31st, '10, 22:23

skilfautdire wrote:Good enough. Thanks for the information. Are these foil lined bags available at supermarkets ?
I highly doubt it, but some vendors do sell them. Upton for one.

Apr 1st, '10, 08:19

by skilfautdire » Apr 1st, '10, 08:19

Many thanks for the info !

Apr 1st, '10, 11:55

by Chip » Apr 1st, '10, 11:55

skilfautdire wrote:Many thanks for the info !
You are most welcome! :mrgreen:

Apr 1st, '10, 14:35

by nonc_ron » Apr 1st, '10, 14:35

Today I received four Pu-erh cakes in shrink wrapped transparent plastic.
They did a good job too, nice and taunt plastic, No floppy corners,
Looked like a factory job. I almost felt bad about cutting it off.
But when I did The tea aroma filled the room.
Pu-erh needs to breath to age well.

Apr 12th, '10, 22:03

by skilfautdire » Apr 12th, '10, 22:03

Chip wrote:
And so it goes that I got the bags from Upton. Now the teas are nicely packed and tagged. Of course this applies to the Chinese teas. The Japanese teas are already nicely packed and tagged.

So now the teas, nicely packed and tagged, are sitting on a shelf in the basement. I've heard some people put some teas in a fridge. Are you the right guy to ask about that curious practice and its pros and cons ? 8)

Apr 12th, '10, 22:26

by Chip » Apr 12th, '10, 22:26

skilfautdire wrote:
Chip wrote:
And so it goes that I got the bags from Upton. Now the teas are nicely packed and tagged. Of course this applies to the Chinese teas. The Japanese teas are already nicely packed and tagged.

So now the teas, nicely packed and tagged, are sitting on a shelf in the basement. I've heard some people put some teas in a fridge. Are you the right guy to ask about that curious practice and its pros and cons ? 8)
:mrgreen: you just went from TeaStorage 101 to graduate level in a single bound! :mrgreen:

I do it but I do not recommend it. There are risks involved, that if dealt with, it is beneficial. If I get a 100 gram bag of Japanese tea, I will splity it in half and cold store the reserve while I use the other half.

But a lot of care must be taken!!! I put the tea in Uptons sample tins, place the reserve in one of these which is double lidded,
which are available here in TeaSwap btw,
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12676
then put it into the TeaFridge.

There is risk involved! But I seem to have it under control. :mrgreen:

Apr 12th, '10, 22:48

by skilfautdire » Apr 12th, '10, 22:48

I do not think I'll put them in the fridge. I'm way too wary about condensation. The door of the fridge gets opened quite often during the day, especially on weekends. It is not rare to see a very thin film of wetness covering a shelf and such. I'd certainly would not want the tea to get damp.

On the other hand, and I'm just thinking about this right now, we always get huge (for me they're huge even more so I do not know if they're recyclable) bags of silica gel packed with the nori we regularly buy. Maybe they could be packed along with the tea, then put in the fridge. Maybe that could be a prevention against dampness.

+ Post Reply