Ever heard of PG tips?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 4th, '06, 20:30

Ever heard of PG tips?

by maxman » Oct 4th, '06, 20:30

My son-in-law is from London. He said the favorite brand of tea there is PG tips. I bought some. It is a very strong, very dark tea. I can see how you don't need coffee if you drink that stuff! I thought it was good. Here in America he drinks Lipton tea, but he uses two bags per cup. Anyone else tried this tea?

Oct 4th, '06, 21:18

by Carnelian » Oct 4th, '06, 21:18

I'm pretty sure the majority of the forum regulars are familiar with PG Tips. I'm personally not a fan of the taste but for a teabag its not bad quality
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Oct 5th, '06, 08:51

by klemptor » Oct 5th, '06, 08:51

A British patient of mine brought me some of the PG Tips in pyramid bags. Decent (certainly better than Lipton!) and strong but also a little bland.
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Oct 5th, '06, 11:10

by rhpot1991 » Oct 5th, '06, 11:10

I have actually seen these in pyramid bags at my local Weis Markets lately. I have not tasted them though, as I already have a nice loose leaf collection going and haven't purchased any bagged tea in over a year.

Oct 6th, '06, 11:51

by Bex » Oct 6th, '06, 11:51

Yes, I am from London/England also and PG tips is very common indeed.

About 10 years ago now (maybe slightly more or less) PG tips used to have really great tv commercials with a family of chimpanzees though very sadly these are no longer aired.

It was also quite interesting when they came out with their pyramid bags, I think it was tetleys that first came out with the round bag though? (I cannot recall 100%)

I dont personally drink it - just because I have so much loose tea, but it is stocked to the brim in my parents house.

Other common teas here are tetleys and typhoo.. though flavoured and fruit teas are slowly gaining a hold in the aisles of the supermarkets! Own supermarket brands are also now booming.. though I cant understand it.....!

Oct 6th, '06, 18:27

by rabbit » Oct 6th, '06, 18:27

I found some of those monkey comercials on youtube
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Oct 22nd, '06, 06:32

by Graeme43 » Oct 22nd, '06, 06:32

I have some PG tips tea granules and they leave a lot of residue in teh cup :shock: and they stain hella bad :lol:

Don't need them now all my first real tea from Adagio came last week :D mmmm mmmmm

Nov 2nd, '06, 14:28

by Councilof1 » Nov 2nd, '06, 14:28

I have been drinking PG Tips for over 10 years now, and absolutely love the taste. I got turned on to the pyramid bags about 4 years ago, but until then was making loose tea only.

Another very tasty UK variety is Typhoo. I have been drinking Typhoo for about 3 years now, and it seem s a bit stronger than PG Tips, but a little better flavour.

Dec 16th, '06, 22:51

by javyn » Dec 16th, '06, 22:51

I don't like it either. It is very strong, and doesn't take milk very well. I do drink bagged tea, Brooke Bond Red Label with a tsp of milk.
John

Jan 28th, '07, 05:18

by Space Samurai » Jan 28th, '07, 05:18

PG Tips was my very first cup of hot tea, made for me but an English woman I was renting a room from, and it is indeed quite popular in the UK. Now that I have moved on to single estate loose teas, I wouldn't buy it, but you can do a lot worse that PG Tips.

Apr 7th, '07, 07:33

cheese grommit!!!

by blakcap » Apr 7th, '07, 07:33

PGTips is owned by Unilever a huge UK foods company. They also own Lipton. Around 4 years ago they bought out Ben and Jerry's ice cream here in Vermont. Pretty crazy stuff for a thing like that to happen around here..... I wasn't down with the idea at first (both my little sister and my roommate worked at the ben and jerry's factory) BUT, i bet you alot more people in europe enjoy vermont made ice cream now!! haha :p seriously, they send just about ALL of thier premium batches to England.

I've never tried PGTips loose... but i love the bagged stuff!
best bag tea i can find in supermarkets around here.. and it's extremely hard to find at that!

It's too strong for some people, in just about every way you can think of.

word.
//i write scripts in hex on my optiplex//

Jun 1st, '07, 10:00

by teaspoon » Jun 1st, '07, 10:00

I recently got a box of PG Tips, and I have to say... I like it, but only when I can manage to brew it light enough (three minutes seems to be the sweet spot). I have a lot of trouble brewing it so that it's not too strong and bitter, and I thought it was just me! Glad I'm not the only one with that problem.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jun 18th, '07, 02:17

by wanna-be buddha » Jun 18th, '07, 02:17

I guzzled the stuff when I lived in Ireland, but that was because I was a starving student and couldn't afford fine tea (also, not many places in Ireland sell, say, Mao Feng). In fairness, though, it's pretty okay.

I want to defect to the Republic of Vermont.
through cruel adversity,
we discover Dharma
and find the unchanging way.

thank you, adversity!

+ Post Reply