Mar 30th, '10, 02:01

Re: Yixing Repair... American Style

by debunix » Mar 30th, '10, 02:01

My JB Weld order should arrive in a few days. Thanks for letting us follow along with the saga....

Apr 1st, '10, 12:00

by Abracadaver! » Apr 1st, '10, 12:00

Back to Tingjunkie thumbing his nose at 1000 years of glorious tradition by his MacGyver-like use of space age polymers:
Have you given any thought to using any other glues or epoxies, or is JB Weld the clear best choice?

Apr 1st, '10, 12:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Apr 1st, '10, 12:06

I thought JB Weld came in a clear version? I use an epoxy for all of my broken stuff. It's one of those clear mixy versions, non-toxic, good for 500+ degrees and waterproof. I haven't used it on any teapots, but I did use it to repair Pee Shoe, erm I mean Pi Xiu. He arrived from China (yunnan colorful on ebay) in a flimsy little box, and his wing was broken off. I used this stuff and have been pouring tea and boiling water over him ever since, and no problems. You can't even see the repair unless you know exactly where to look.

Apr 2nd, '10, 21:37

by tingjunkie » Apr 2nd, '10, 21:37

Missing posts... hmmm. What have I missed over the last day or two? Do I need to beat anyone up?

Anywho, I'm not a slave to JB Weld at all, it's just that I've worked with it before and know it's strong as all hell. What is the name of the epoxy you use GeekGirl? Sounds like it has all the right specs.

Apr 2nd, '10, 22:18

by Geekgirl » Apr 2nd, '10, 22:18

Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It's low VOC, and supposedly resists polymerization. It's also non-toxic once cured, (although I'd wait 24-48 hours for a full "cure".) Seriously, I've used the stuff on lots of things and it holds like mad. Nothing I've ever fixed with it has rebroken along the fix line.

Oh, by the way, I've also used JB weld. They have a version that dries clear. The guys down the hall from my office use it on all of their model train parts. Some of the engines have little mini-boilers in them and get HOT. This stuff holds probably just as well as the Devcon version. I've fixed ceramic and porcelain figurines with it so well that I have to hunt for the break line. Good stuff. I'd put up a picture of the repair but what's the point? Heh.

Apr 2nd, '10, 22:28

by Geekgirl » Apr 2nd, '10, 22:28

Hmmm, actually you can see the bond. I'll post a photo in a few minutes.

Here we go - with JB Weld. The 5minute produces a nearly identical result. I photographed this with a macro lens, bright light, and keep in mind that this image is a 500% enlargement of the original object. In actuality the break is nearly impossible to tell from crackling in the glaze.

Edited (again) to add one more tip: use a bent paperclip to "paint" the epoxy on to your surface. For a hard surface you will get plenty to bond but it's easy to control, and you won't have to worry about cotton "hairs" sticking in the seam. You want an incredibly close bond to get the seam to be invisible, and even something as thin as cotton or poly fibers could throw that off.

Apr 2nd, '10, 22:42

by tingjunkie » Apr 2nd, '10, 22:42

Nice work Gg! Looks like it's time to switch to the clear. Wish I had started out with it. As I said, my next project is a thin walled pot which is in 9 pieces- didn't really want gray lines running all through it. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 3rd, '10, 09:58

by tingjunkie » Apr 3rd, '10, 09:58

Geekgirl- I've been trying to look into JB Weld's clear version, but there is no info on their website for some reason. I emailed the company a week ago, but have not had any response yet. Do you happen to know the specs on the product? Is it non toxic? Waterproof? Rated to what temp? Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Apr 3rd, '10, 11:07

by Geekgirl » Apr 3rd, '10, 11:07

I think it specs not quite as strong, and not quite as heat resistant, but I'm not sure. Still non-toxic once cured though. That's how I ended up with the Devcon product. When I went to buy it, I couldn't find on the packaging where it said it was clear. I think it might be the JB Kwik that is clear? Can't remember for sure, I never bought it, I just used some from the train guys down the hall. It's definitely waterproof.

Apr 12th, '10, 23:54

by tingjunkie » Apr 12th, '10, 23:54

Geekgirl wrote:Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It's low VOC, and supposedly resists polymerization. It's also non-toxic once cured
Is this info on the packaging? It's not listed on the Devcon Website, and after looking at the MSD (material safety data sheet) I'm not sure I'd feel safe using this on anything I was using to drink from or make tea out of. Seems rather toxic to me. But then again, the MSD's apply to the product in liquid form, not once hardened. See here: http://www.devcon.com/products/products ... at=Epoxies

...not sure yet. :(

Apr 13th, '10, 00:32

by Robert Fornell » Apr 13th, '10, 00:32

tingjunkie wrote:
Geekgirl wrote:Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It's low VOC, and supposedly resists polymerization. It's also non-toxic once cured
Is this info on the packaging? It's not listed on the Devcon Website, and after looking at the MSD (material safety data sheet) I'm not sure I'd feel safe using this on anything I was using to drink from or make tea out of. Seems rather toxic to me. But then again, the MSD's apply to the product in liquid form, not once hardened. See here: http://www.devcon.com/products/products ... at=Epoxies

...not sure yet. :(
Alas........ where's Intuit when we need him/her...... :(

R

Apr 26th, '10, 01:11

by debunix » Apr 26th, '10, 01:11

one batch of JB Marine weld, check.
one cracked micro-yixing pot lid, check.

mix, swab, wipe, and voila! repaired pot.

It's easy to see the break if you're looking for it, but not particularly disfiguring.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Apr 26th, '10, 23:20

by tingjunkie » Apr 26th, '10, 23:20

Nicely done debunix! Looks good. Are my eyes fooling me or is the handle more red than the rest of the pot? I like it.

Apr 26th, '10, 23:26

by debunix » Apr 26th, '10, 23:26

That's a trick of the light on the handle. Just a cheapo $6.99 yixing pot (it says so right on the price tag, has to be genuine, right?) from Wing Hop Fung.

I now again have a full set of dinky (60mL) pots for gong fu sessions with light oolongs, dark oolongs, sheng and shu puerh, and dan congs. And one spare for the next time one breaks, and WHF doesn't have a replacement.

Apr 28th, '10, 15:34

by Herb_Master » Apr 28th, '10, 15:34

I like reading this thread, I have a couple of repairs that I may try one day when I am brave enough. As one is a lid, and the other some ornamental embellishments - I probably don't need the ultimate in heat bond - but definitely want a clear and precise finish. However that is another project for another day.

What got me musing about adhesives today was pondering a tea strainer which is a little more ornate than the simple metal strainers that the shops give away.

I currently only have one, which is part of a Goldfish Gaibei set

Considering our large and growing teaware artisan section, and the willingness of many to experiment and make custom orders . . . . . I was wondering what sort of adhesive is used when the mesh strainer is placed in a clay holder ?

+ Post Reply