Teavana...worth it?

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Teavana...worth it?

Postby deadalchemist » Apr 7th, '07, 11:50

There's a Teavana located in a mall near where I live in NJ, and I've made a few stops in the past month there. I bought a beautiful Yixing from there and I was very satisfied with it. All the tea samples in the store were delicious! Although...they were iced. I bought 2oz of three different teas there: two were red teas, and one was an herbal. The two red teas I bought, I was confused when I opened the bags. The tea was...yellow. The entire bin of tea in the store was yellow! Is that normal? All the other red teas I own from various places are red. I brewed both of the red teas from Teavana, which have a very STRONG aroma...they both were tasteless! How could such aromatic teas have no taste? I was so disappointed. I brewed the herbal, and it was slightly better. It tasted fine, but it wasnt anything to write home about. It was still weak. Has anyone had any Teavana experiences with their tea? So far I've been VERY disappointed. I may try small amounts of other teas they carry, and if they're disappointing as well, I obviously will not go back. Has anyone been there? Or do you know why the red teas were yellow?

-s
deadalchemist

Postby scruffmcgruff » Apr 7th, '07, 15:24

I've had a couple of decent teas from teavana, and other people have been happy with some of their stuff, but I'm not really a big fan overall. I've heard a few complaints about old tea though, and about aromatic but tasteless tea as well, so I'm not surprised to hear you report the same thing.

What was this red tea called? Red tea is a bit of an ambiguous term, as it can be used to describe either rooibos or fully-oxidized tea (known as black tea in the west, but red tea in the east). There is such thing as green rooibos, which is a yellowish color. Also, some black/red teas are more golden in color, like Adagio's Yunnan Gold. So, there could be multiple explanations for your yellow-colored red tea. On the other hand, it could just be another example of teavana junk. :)
scruffmcgruff

Postby Mary R » Apr 7th, '07, 16:17

Teavana...the way they name their flavored teas is a constant source of confusion for me. I've found that their straight blacks and greens are fairly decent, but ridiculously over priced...especially considering that you can get better quality for less bank at any number of places. Their flavors are touch and go--generally the flavoring is pretty good and usually natural...but the tea base they use could be much, much better (especially for the price).

I've found that their red rooibos is usually very good, though. In fact, I've yet to find another place that tops their Vanilla Rooibos (and trust me, I'm trying). So if it's rooibos you mean by "red tea," then Scruff's right--it's probably green.

Teavana's overly fond of it...supposedly it has more antioxidants than red rooibos and they market health aspects of tea like nobody's business. As a rule, I do think green is pretty bland...so maybe that accounts for the lack of taste you're experiencing.
Mary R

Postby tissigirl » Feb 24th, '08, 17:29

I would suggest going to their website and looking up what you got. They have an explanation of each tea and their categories (green, white, roobios, etc.) Some of the people they have working at some of the stores may not know everything about the different kinds of tea they have. That should help you figure out what you purchased.

I know I purchased a Roobios orange from them, and it was indeed red. I can't speak for the rest of them however. Any time i've tried their teas there they have been hot, not iced. I never actually purchased a cup of tea there though, just tried the samples.
tissigirl

Instant Messenger

Permissions