Jul 25th, '05, 20:01

what to buy

by tea-girl » Jul 25th, '05, 20:01

I am currently searching for teaware for my tea house and I am overwhelmed by all of the options. I am looking for a wholesaler that supplies modern/chic teaware (both tea cups/bowls and teapots) of good quality.
Also, what medium would be the best for brewing and drinking high quality loose teas, stainless steel, glass, porcelian...? Which medium should I stay away from because of toxic materials or a possible altered taste?

Jul 26th, '05, 00:11

by marla » Jul 26th, '05, 00:11

I suggest using some kind of porcelin, it dosen't have to bedainty or with a floral pattern, there are some lovely more modern looking porcelin cups out there. Sometimes if you try to change to much you end up loosing part of the experience. Check out Maryland China company. They have alot of really reasonable china in many different styles. Good Luck in your search!

Jul 26th, '05, 12:11

Re: what to buy

by Marlene » Jul 26th, '05, 12:11

t-girl wrote:Also, what medium would be the best for brewing and drinking high quality loose teas, stainless steel, glass, porcelian...? Which medium should I stay away from because of toxic materials or a possible altered taste?
Glass or porcelian would be your best two bets. Metal of any kind (exept gold..i think) tends to impart a metalic flavor, even if it's just because you've got your lips on it.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jul 26th, '05, 12:23

by PeteVu » Jul 26th, '05, 12:23

i think glass looks the coolest by far, and sometimes style and "coolness" is what draws people to tea houses. They look gorgeous with warmers too. and you can see the color of the tea, which would be cool to look around and see all the different colors of tea on different tables.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 28th, '05, 13:28

Re: what to buy

by Guest » Jul 28th, '05, 13:28

t-girl wrote:Also, what medium would be the best for brewing and drinking high quality loose teas, stainless steel, glass, porcelian...?
I would agree with Marlene, your best choice is probably porcelain. There is nothing more pleasant than drinking high quality tea in a fine Jing De Zhen fen cai tea cup!

If you are looking for some cheaper porcelain from China then look for the porcelain that comes from Chaozhou (Guangdong province), it is usually not hand made and hand painted but the quality of the porcelain is quite good for the price! The plus is that usually the porcelain from this city is thicker.

Good luck in your venture!

Seb

Jul 28th, '05, 13:41

by Marlene » Jul 28th, '05, 13:41

You could also use stoneware. Churhill's blue willow (and pink willow) pattern is on stoneware.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

+ Post Reply