What does FOP stand for?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Apr 24th, '10, 00:03

Re: What does FOP stand for?

by kymidwife » Apr 24th, '10, 00:03

joelbct wrote:
skywarrior wrote:I bought some Yunnan Gold that was called Yunnan Gold FOP. Anyone want to enlighten me what that stands for? Very curious.
If you find a good tea labeled FTGFOP, it stands for "Far Too Good For Ordinary People"

;)
And then there's the SFTGFOP... SERIOUSLY Far Too Good for Ordinary People!

:P

May 13th, '10, 10:56

by nonc_ron » May 13th, '10, 10:56

kymidwife wrote:
joelbct wrote:
skywarrior wrote:I bought some Yunnan Gold that was called Yunnan Gold FOP. Anyone want to enlighten me what that stands for? Very curious.
If you find a good tea labeled FTGFOP, it stands for "Far Too Good For Ordinary People";)
And then there's the SFTGFOP... SERIOUSLY Far Too Good for Ordinary People! :P
Darjeeling and Assam Tea Grading.
SFTGFOP Super Fine Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe which is the highest existing grade for tea leaves.

FOP tea is made from the first leaf and bud of the shoot.

May 13th, '10, 11:57

by rabbit » May 13th, '10, 11:57

But of course, as we've all learned, none of these rating systems can actually be acurate being as many of them are subject to the opinions of the people who give them these ratings (and some people just want to sell tea by convincing the masses that they are better quality than they really are.)

May 18th, '10, 21:11

by entropyembrace » May 18th, '10, 21:11

it´s MUCH better to look at the leaves than the grade (many teas aren´t labeled with grades anyway) You can see things like how old the leaves were when they were harvested, how intact they are, how much stem there is and the level of oxidation and roasting....that tells you a lot more about the tea than a silly string of letters. :wink:

+ Post Reply