Honey, you're killing me!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 15th, '07, 14:30

Honey, you're killing me!

by Blue ipomea » Apr 15th, '07, 14:30

:D hallo
this is my second post here and also long time since the last one!

I drink a lot of tea. green mostly (recently). with honey (a one full spoon for one big cup of tea).
and I love it!
and becouse I drink it so much everyday, poeple around have of course noticed it and there have been some friends that say:

- that the tea is bad for the liver.
- that a couple (from 2,3 - 7, it depends) spoons of honey added to tea, each day isn't healthy
- that adding honey to a still hot tea kills all the good stuff in the honey becouse of the temperature.

off course i drink other types of tea. fruit ones, earl grey etc.

my question is how to make tea correctly and is anything that's mentioned above truth? do I drink too much tea or it does'nt matters? Any tips about tea drinking?

thank you for all the comments and tips.
it would be very nice if anybody helps me at this one.
M.
xoxoxo

Apr 23rd, '07, 07:58

Re: Honey, you're killing me!

by streetspirit » Apr 23rd, '07, 07:58

How much tea are you drinking? I suppose anything in excess can be bad for you. But you've been drinking tea for a while if you aren't feeling any ill effects by now I don't think you need to worry. One tablespoon of honey contains about 60 calories. Personally I think honey tends to mask the flavor of green tea, so I don't put honey or any other sweeteners in my tea. My suggestion is to try to drink quality green tea (loose tea and not teabag) without sweeteners, it may taste strange at first but after a while you would get used to it and maybe even enjoy your tea more.

Apr 23rd, '07, 15:22

by xine » Apr 23rd, '07, 15:22

I agree with streetspirit- all things good should be taken in moderation. I used to drink all my tea with honey, but now that I've been drinking higher quality tea, loose-leaf, I find that there isn't much need for sweeteners. But I still treat myself to some honey once in a while :)

If anything, I would recommend is drinking tea plain, no honey or any other sweetener, and to limit your intake to about 4 8 oz cups and day. Also, if you find yourself drinking a lot of tea, you should drink just as much water, as tea is also a direutic. Drinking plain tea might seem scary at first, but there are plenty of varieties of tea, with all sorts of flavor profiles that are great on their own.

Jul 6th, '07, 18:09

by aqueoustransmegan » Jul 6th, '07, 18:09

There is truth to the last statement....the other two I think are unsubstatiated poo :)...no offense to whomever told you that. I've never heard of tea being bad for the liver [millions of people around the world aren't dying from liver problems :P] and other than the sugar there's nothing in the honey that would be bad for you. 7 spoons of honey is far from 'too much' sugar for a normal person to eat. I mean if you ate 7 spoons of honey at once you might get a sugar rush but throughout the day I doubt you'd notice anything from it.

What you want to do when adding honey to tea to really reap the benefits of honey is let your tea cool just a little before you add honey...basically to the a 'drinkable' warm temperature. I usually don't gulp boiling tea myself but usually once it's brewed it's cooled enough to add it in. If you want to be careful wait a min or two. Honey has all those same good bacteria that yogurt does that aide digestion and when you boil it or scald it with boiling water they die :( I've heard, but I don't know if it's true, that if you are taking local honey to help with allergies cooking it diminishes the relief it will give you. It also changes the sugar properties in the honey which makes it taste differently. Warm honey tastes really good [much better than cold honey I think] but honey which has been scalded doesn't taste as good...so that would be the biggest detriment to putting it in super hot tea I think :)

Jul 7th, '07, 14:32

by Wesli » Jul 7th, '07, 14:32

Only things to worry about are too much caffeine, and too much sugar. Always remember to ingest in moderation.

Jul 18th, '07, 17:01

by lovintea » Jul 18th, '07, 17:01

I know that green tea has antioxidant which is suppose to be good for you and it also helps you digest food. I don't think a substantial amount of green tea a day is bad for you. Look at the Japanese culture...they have tea in every single packaging you can think of. Also all over Asian there are vending machines that have canned teas as a choice. If tea is bad for you then where does soda and coffee stand? As for the honey and sugar. Its just never good to have too much sweets. But I'm guilty too since I also tend to mix my tea with agave =)

Jul 18th, '07, 22:13

by augie » Jul 18th, '07, 22:13

lovintea wrote: If tea is bad for you then where does soda and coffee stand? As for the honey and sugar. Its just never good to have too much sweets. But I'm guilty too since I also tend to mix my tea with agave =)
The danger of soda is the acid that sits on your teeth. I love studying the posters on my kids' ped. dentist office wall. Along with the "Mt. Dew Mouth" poster. It shows each brand of soda and it's sugar content and acid content. It's also not good for your bones.

Soda is loaded with sugar, but we don't put that much in tea. 1-2 tsp of honey or agave. If you're concerned about it you can "wean" yourself down off that 1-2 tsp. easier than you can quit drnking soda.

Aug 10th, '07, 03:19

by PDXTEAA » Aug 10th, '07, 03:19

For the honey loosing its beneficial content, if it is pasteurized to begin with it shouldn't matter. Raw unpasteurized is the more touchy sort :)

Aug 27th, '07, 12:17
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Aug 27th, '07, 12:17

Rage Of Angels wrote:Only things to worry about are too much caffeine, and too much sugar. Always remember to ingest in moderation.
I'd say green tea has such low caffeine, you'd have to drink 5 or so cups to get the same effect as one cup of coffee.

I wouldn't be worried about tea consumption.

Aug 27th, '07, 12:23

Re: Honey, you're killing me!

by Mocha Wheels » Aug 27th, '07, 12:23

Blue ipomea wrote: - that the tea is bad for the liver.
- that a couple (from 2,3 - 7, it depends) spoons of honey added to tea, each day isn't healthy

i dunno if it's bad for you or not- definately better than sugar though! but my NPO (novice personal opinion) is that you should find a tea that you like to drink unsweetened... sweetening it with anything gives it a whole new taste and again in my NPO ruins the experience of the tea flavor

+ Post Reply