Clotted/Devon Cream

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Jul 21st, '05, 16:51

Clotted/Devon Cream

by Guest » Jul 21st, '05, 16:51

Looking for a source to buy clotted/devon cream. Live in the metro Atlanta area- would also be willing to buy online from a reputable source.

Thanks.

Jul 21st, '05, 18:14

by PeteVu » Jul 21st, '05, 18:14

ive never had the pleasure to try devon cream, although ive always wanted to.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 25th, '05, 21:06

by Marlene » Jul 25th, '05, 21:06

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jul 26th, '05, 00:19

by Maria » Jul 26th, '05, 00:19

Ladies and gentlemen I beg you don't buy devonshire cream make it yourself.
Roughly 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar
and 2 to 3 drops of almond extract

combined in a glass or stainless steel bowl ( ALWAYS COMES OUT BETTER IN EITHER GLASS OR STAINLESS STEEL)

Now whip the dickens out of it. Whip it on the highest speed your little mixer has until stiff peaks form and you can feel the beaters working harder to mix it.

then enjoy with my personal favorite strawberry perserves on my mothers scones and enjoy. Both cream and scones can be tasted by one and all if you visit Thyme for Tea in Lansdale Pa.

Jul 26th, '05, 10:31

by chris » Jul 26th, '05, 10:31

The dickens, huh? :lol:

Jul 26th, '05, 15:53

by Tracy » Jul 26th, '05, 15:53

Although I'm not a fan of "cream teas", it should probably be noted that the recipe above, while delish I'm sure (how can you go wrong with whipped cream?), is for "mock" Devonshire cream.

My understanding of "real" Devonshire cream is that it can only come from specially bred cows that produce milk with a high enough cream content to produce clotted cream. This unpasteurized milk is heated until a soft, buttery solid forms on the surface. The milk is cooled, and the cream is skimmed from the surface.

To each his own--I've had both 'mock' & 'real' with scones & tea, and have to say, that if the scones are good (i.e., not bricks), I prefer them plain or served with some fresh seasonal fruit!
Tea...is a religion of the art of life. ~Okakura

Jul 26th, '05, 16:15

by PeteVu » Jul 26th, '05, 16:15

on a related note, what kind of snacks do you guys enjoy with your tea? I dont particularly keep any snack food on hand with the exclusive intent to enjoy it with tea, but i often have some pocky with my tea, or coconut coated peanuts. with a bold tea i enjoy a fried cookie from ikea, they are DELICIOUS, and at the same time are a heart attack waiting to happen. ^^
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 26th, '05, 16:26

by Tracy » Jul 26th, '05, 16:26

I love Pocky, esp. "Men's Pocky" with my tea!! Actually, that's one of the things I sometimes bring to our tea tastings, along with some good quality sembe (rice crackers) wrapped in nori or just plain. It's great to have a mix of both sweet and savory with tea, although I tend to like the savory more. Fresh seasonal fruit is always good, tossed with mint or lime juice sometimes in the summer...

I also love green tea noodles tossed in a light vinaigrette with veggies, and I also like tofu with shiso, katsuobushi, and soy sauce with my tea in the summer.

Eh, I could go on and on when it comes to food, so you'll just have to come to our tea house when it opens to find out what we like! :wink:

Jul 26th, '05, 16:29

by PeteVu » Jul 26th, '05, 16:29

haha, thats awesome. where are u opening your teahouse?

Jul 26th, '05, 16:36

by Tracy » Jul 26th, '05, 16:36

We're in Cincinnati, Ohio. I got tired of not being able to find a decent cup of tea in a casual setting here!

We're already 3 months behind in opening because of contruction delays, but hopefully we'll be open sometime in October.

Jul 27th, '05, 19:10

by PeteVu » Jul 27th, '05, 19:10

i rarely ever go to tea houses because i cause after i buy a pot i cant help but think that i could have gotten atleast an oz of tea for the same price. but then again, im hoping after i get out of college i'll be able to enjoy such luxuries. ^^

Jul 27th, '05, 20:25

by Tracy » Jul 27th, '05, 20:25

Ahhh, I remember those days, and can relate to the "luxury" vs. "pragmatism" choices one has to make!

That said, I think it's important to remember that a tea house (or tearoom) offers a lot more than just the tea. I always enjoyed the sense of community, hospitality, and warmth they gave me, as well as the great conversation from the inevitable and highly attainable tea buzz! :D

Jul 27th, '05, 21:32

by PeteVu » Jul 27th, '05, 21:32

i go to University of Texas at Austin where the population is 656,562. Theres more than enough friendly conversation to go around. If u can find a tea house in austin that isnt crawling with hippies and posers, ill treat everyone on this forum to a pot of tea. ^^

...dang hippies >=(

Jul 28th, '05, 09:13
Location: Ed gets excited harvesting the first flush darjeeling.

by Saunka » Jul 28th, '05, 09:13

PeteVu wrote:i go to University of Texas at Austin where the population is 656,562. Theres more than enough friendly conversation to go around. If u can find a tea house in austin that isnt crawling with hippies and posers, ill treat everyone on this forum to a pot of tea. ^^

...dang hippies >=(
Have you ever gone to the Alamo Drafthouse movie theater? I've read that it's a cool place.

Jul 28th, '05, 09:49

by PeteVu » Jul 28th, '05, 09:49

i might have... my friends and i spent some time parading around the city but most of the time we go to frat parties. they are fun and free, and u can meet alot of new people.

+ Post Reply