Banana Hazelnut Muffin - HELP

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

May 11th, '10, 01:28

Banana Hazelnut Muffin - HELP

by karmaplace » May 11th, '10, 01:28

Has anyone else purchased this blend? It had great reviews and really sounded like something I'd enjoy, but every time I've brewed it on its own it's been too bitter to drink. One of the reviewers recommended to brew it for five minutes, but in my experience after two it's absolutely undrinkable.

For a 16 oz pot I've been using one scoop of this blend and two scoops of a white chai, which is delicious, but I'd really like to figure out how to make it tasty on its own. Should I use only one scoop for 16 oz? Or should I only brew it for a minute? Any recommendations?

Oh, I gave the blend a very positive review, because it IS delicious blended with the chai, and I'm guessing that all my issues are more because of my inexperience with black teas as opposed to there being anything wrong with the tea itself.

May 11th, '10, 03:30
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Banana Hazelnut Muffin - HELP

by Victoria » May 11th, '10, 03:30

Three minutes should be the max. How big is your scoop?

May 12th, '10, 11:51

by karmaplace » May 12th, '10, 11:51

1 scoop - 1 tsp. Sorry for not clarifying.

May 12th, '10, 14:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 12th, '10, 14:13

You should be able to use 2 tsp in 16oz. Just don't exceed 3 mins. Maybe less if you see it getting very dark.

May 12th, '10, 20:05

by beckynoel » May 12th, '10, 20:05

I made this blend, and am glad you like it-- at least what it SHOULD taste like.

I know exactly what you mean about the bitterness when steeped at length. I don't know which of the components makes it bitter-- kinda thinking hazelnut.

Anyway, I usually use a little less than a tsp. per 12 oz, and brew for about 3 mins. Also, I don't use boiling water. I let my tea kettle just start to rumble, then I take it off.

So between using less than 1 tsp., for less than 5 mins., with less than boiling water I have managed to keep it less bitter. It is a strong tea though, and there's no getting around it. Beyond that, if it's something you prefer, you could add a little milk to even it out.

Good luck, and thanks for the positive review!

+ Post Reply