FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Apr 11th, '10, 15:05

Re: FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

by Smells_Familiar » Apr 11th, '10, 15:05

This is a great idea for a thread Chip! I'm surprised more people haven't posted in it.

I normally cook cook ~4 days a week and usually have leftovers on the remaining days. I've been on a Japanese and Mexican cuisine kick lately.

Last night I fixed a gingered pork salad with homemade salad dressing. Dressing was basicly just soy sauce, powdered sugar, grated ginger, toasted sesame oil, and ground pepper. Of course we had short grain rice as well. Orange for dessert. Nothin fancy.

This morning we had scrambled eggs with chorizo sausage and a bunch of lightly sauteed veggies. A side of wild blueberries.

I just got done fixing enough miso soup for ~3 days (might be considered a sin to some). After that I made some japanese potato salad and some "Japanese Pickles"...enough for a few days as side dishes. We have the pickles and miso soup virtually every day and it never gets old. Course I switch up the recipes a bit.

Now I've gotta do dishes... :x

I think we'll just have a frozen pizza and a salad tonight. Ha!

Apr 12th, '10, 22:00

by entropyembrace » Apr 12th, '10, 22:00

Thanks for the link artmom...unfortunately it doesnt look like they have Mexican cheese :(

Tonight I cooked dinner for the family...I fried some tilapia filets heavily coated with spices and a touch of flour...french fries for the side and I made a quick tartar sauce by chopping up some cucumber pickles and mixing with mayonnaise, cilantro and chilli...okay not quite typical tartar sauce but I like it :lol:

Only takes about half an hour including prep and it´s delicious :)

Thinking of afterdinner tea now...thinking in 2nd flush hand roll Margaret´s Hope Darjeeling :)

Apr 12th, '10, 22:29

by LauraW » Apr 12th, '10, 22:29

Tonight I cooked up salmon with an (improvised) wine-pear sauce and some semi-homemade rolls - I took some pre-prepared unbaked breadsticks, knotted them, brushed with oil, then sprinkled on salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and grated parmesan. Very tasty dinner!!

Apr 13th, '10, 09:41

by artmom » Apr 13th, '10, 09:41

Last night must have been cooking night! :)

I even browned some trimmed (of fat) pork chops in ev olive oil with a tiny pat of butter for extra richness, Added just a pinch of salt and pepper, some very good balsamic vinegar sparingly sprinkled on the chops before turning them over. A small pour of beef broth to just give some moisture, then I simmered the pan until the chops were tender. Yum.

As a side, I had a sliced Cripps Pink apple. These chops are good with potatoes, rice, and applesauce, also.

The chops are very easy to prepare, can be perked up with sauteed onions, garlic, and any other spice or herb you enjoy. But the balsamic vinegar is plenty for me.

Apr 13th, '10, 22:55

by LauraW » Apr 13th, '10, 22:55

artmom wrote:Last night must have been cooking night! :)

I even browned some trimmed (of fat) pork chops in ev olive oil with a tiny pat of butter for extra richness, Added just a pinch of salt and pepper, some very good balsamic vinegar sparingly sprinkled on the chops before turning them over. A small pour of beef broth to just give some moisture, then I simmered the pan until the chops were tender. Yum.
Sounds tasty!! I might have to try that next time I find some good pork. I cook most nights; my 2 roommates don't really like to cook (well, one does but will only cook for herself and is never home anyway), and my boyfriend likes to cook, but he's rarely home in time to do so since he works an hour away and gets off work at 6... so if I want to eat before 8:30, I've got to cook. It's ok though, I enjoy it more often than not, though some nights I just don't feel like it (or don't have time, like tonight when I got home at 10pm!)

Apr 17th, '10, 20:44
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Apr 17th, '10, 20:44

Dinner tonight was pasta and zucchini. Zucchini cooked with bacon (pancetta is best) and garlic in a cream and Parmesan sauce. It's good with mushrooms in it too, but I didn't add those. :D

Tea today: swapping between Black Dragon Pearls and Chocolate Chip.

Apr 18th, '10, 00:42

by LauraW » Apr 18th, '10, 00:42

Tonight's dinner - it doesn't look appetizing, but it's very tasty - leek and potato soup, with strawberry-spinach salad and chocolate chip chai quickbread (which got a little burnt because I may or may not have forgotten about it and gotten it out 5-10 mins too late...). The soup I hadn't made in ages, but it's so simple, I couldn't remember why I hadn't made it, and the leeks had looked so great in the store that I told myself I had to make it!

Apr 18th, '10, 01:37

by entropyembrace » Apr 18th, '10, 01:37

My brother was BBQing dinner today...he grilled chicken and shreded it then mixed with BBQ sauce made from scratch, he also toasted some buns over the fire...Mmmmmm chicken sloppy joes :D Then dessert he grilled pinapple rings which we ate with vanilla icecream and caramel sauce : )::..

Apr 25th, '10, 05:19

by artmom » Apr 25th, '10, 05:19

Made a melt-in-your-mouth tender eye of round roast today. I make one about once a month--used to be once a week. Easy-peasy. Rubbed pepper, rosemary, and thyme into it; browned it in a tiny bit of olive oil and butter and a splash of balsamic vinegar; placed it in a roasting bag and stuck it in 350 oven. Usually I put onions, potatoes, and carrots in bag, too; however, this time we had rice, and separately prepared carrots. Plain jane cooking; but delicious. :)

Had a delicious Cripps apple for dessert.

May 9th, '10, 19:09

by Corona » May 9th, '10, 19:09

Spent all day baking two loaves of delicious cardamom bread. Quite tasty, seems to be much more of a desert bread. All from scratch, well worth it!

Regards,

May 12th, '10, 20:48

by nonc_ron » May 12th, '10, 20:48

Cool all the cooks in one place. :D
I'm looking for a tea cookie (chocolaty)
Like a Browne but smashed flat.
And crispy so it can be dunked in my tea. :D
Any ideas?

May 12th, '10, 22:13

by LauraW » May 12th, '10, 22:13

Hm, chocolate-y cookie-brownie that's crispy... I'll think on this. Results later.

May 14th, '10, 01:33

by zencha » May 14th, '10, 01:33

A selection of dishes from the Chinese Astronaut menu (2009 mission)

Day One: Lotus root porridge, crispy tofu with spring onions, braised yellow croaker fish, pork ribs with seaweed, spinach with minced garlic.
Day Two: Spicy pig skin, braised duck neck, hairy crab with ginger, chicken liver with chilli, pine nuts with sweetcorn, three-flavour soup.
Day Three: Poached egg in fermented rice soup, Harbin sausage, Huajiang dog, baby cuttlefish casserole, eel with green pepper, spicy beans with dried tofu.
Apples, pears and oranges served with every meal, as well as rice, noodles, sweet potatoes.

May 14th, '10, 08:07

by LauraW » May 14th, '10, 08:07

It's been a busy busy week for new recipes for me.
Monday: seared tuna with an orange salsa (and salad),
Tuesday: a papaya salad that I realized after-the-fact why it really called for green papaya (it was mushy and runny instead of crisp and awesome, but the store literally only had 3 papayas and that was the best looking), for some reason can't remember what else we had. Ah well.
Wednesday: Carrot and Ginger soup (very tasty) and empanadas (a house staple, I try to make them at least once a month, with varied fillings.
Thursday: 2 things that didn't go quite as planned, but I have ideas about how to fix them both! - a type of falafel that wouldn't grind in the blender so we ended up adding some water, which made it more the consistency of hummus, so we really couldn't make balls out of it - so we made falafel-johnnycakes, which were tasty. And a potato, feta, and mint filled phyllo triangle - which was good, but needed more seasoning. It was overwhelmingly "potato."
All in all, a good week! Didn't take any pictures though, everyone's always too anxious to eat after smelling the kitchen for an hour or so.

May 14th, '10, 23:20

by zencha » May 14th, '10, 23:20

An interesting cookbook .
Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmanglij

+ Post Reply