Green Tea & tummy aches

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 30th, '07, 18:51

Green Tea & tummy aches

by augie » Apr 30th, '07, 18:51

I am new and have been lurking a while to see if my question has come up. I have noticed in the last few months that two types of Green Tea make me a little nauseous. One that I bought locally at a tea store and one from Adagio. I love the taste and feel great drinking tea, otherwise. It is NOT the case that I am forcing myself to drink something repulsive, like sauer kraut juice.
Iced or hot both produce cranky tummy. Only green teas. It is always with no food in my stomach . . .
1. steeping too long
2. water too hot
3. Serves me right for buying cheap tea (not the adagio, of course)?
4. not enough water/too much tea
5. combination of the above.
Don't actually yack, just feel icky for 15-30 min. Then I feel absolutely great. Anyone else hear of this? Am I weird?

Apr 30th, '07, 21:13

by sygyzy » Apr 30th, '07, 21:13

I am having a very difficult time understanding your post / question.

Apr 30th, '07, 22:09

by augie » Apr 30th, '07, 22:09

sygyzy: Drink green tea, get stomach cramps for 30 min, then feel fine. Like when you get stomach flu. Only it goes away pretty quick. Probably should try brewing for shorter length of time. Black tea -- no problem. Oolong doesn't bother me. Make sense? I may be crazy . . .

Apr 30th, '07, 22:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 30th, '07, 22:57

Augie,
Is it all green tea or just these two?
And what two green teas are they?

I have had experience like this with Jasmine green tea, but not every one of them. But I drink green tea all day with out any problems.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 1st, '07, 01:26

by tomasini » May 1st, '07, 01:26

yes..jasmine green tea often has an odd effect on me and it's hard to explain..sometimes i dont like it :cry:

May 1st, '07, 03:24

by sygyzy » May 1st, '07, 03:24

I guess I am lucky because no tea has ever given me stomach problems.

May 1st, '07, 13:46

by LavenderPekoe » May 1st, '07, 13:46

I wonder if there is an zinc in the teas you are drinking. Zinc tends to do that to my stomach.
Teas for trade:

May 1st, '07, 21:25

by augie » May 1st, '07, 21:25

Genmai Cha -- but not bad and only drank hot.
Sencha overature -- hot & iced.
Tea bags were hot and they're at work -- they were the worst.
I made a cup of Sencha overature and iced it today -- no problem. I intentionally made it a little less strong & lower brew temp.

Lavender: Zinc? Tea contain zinc? I never thought of that. I took a coldeze 5 years ago which caused serious projectile vomiting. 15 minutes later I was 100% fine. I frightening experience. I'll have to go do a search for Tea & zinc.

I have consumed loads of green tea, mostly Rep of Tea (2 years ago I thought that was really great stuff!!). Never had a problem and I loved tea so much I found this website and "the book" and learned that RoT is just dust and fannings. Possibly whole leaf tea in addition to having more good stuff has more of something that bothers my stomach.

I haven't ordered white tea from Adagio yet. Maybe something with a shorter steep time will be easier on my stomach???

Thanks to all!

Oct 31st, '11, 16:51

Re: Green Tea & tummy aches

by Oca1 » Oct 31st, '11, 16:51

This absolutely happens to me when I drink a little too much green tea with an empty stomach. It's that same nauseous feeling I get from taking vitamins on an empty stomach. I just try to make sure to space out my green tea drinking throughout the day. And I try to make sure I've got enough food in my tummy to balance all the good stuff that comes from the tea. Otherwise, it's overload on my tummy. I bet also that the smaller you are the greater the effect the tea may have on your stomach. Maybe?

But, no you are not crazy; this happens to me often. I just love green tea and all its antioxidants though!

Oct 31st, '11, 17:04

by teaisme » Oct 31st, '11, 17:04

I think this is pretty common with people who drink/have drunk decent amounts of tea recently

Just don't take tea with an empty stomach unless you know it is a gentle one

Nov 4th, '11, 02:01

by FlyedPiper » Nov 4th, '11, 02:01

Duuuuude...... this is an old post.

Eat before or with tea... caffeine is the problem on your stomach.

And buy better green tea for godsake.....

Nov 5th, '11, 04:02

by Ill-literate » Nov 5th, '11, 04:02

For me it is the opposite, green tea seems to settle my stomach when it is upset. :D

Nov 8th, '11, 02:26

by Cole » Nov 8th, '11, 02:26

Likewise, ill-literate! I woke up with an awful stomach ache this morning (partially due to the fact that I went to bed hungry), but after sipping some iced fukamushi from the night before, I felt refreshed and ready to eat breakfast. However, sometimes when I have matcha (or the first couple infusions of a strong fuka) first thing in the morning, it can occasionally throw my tummy off. But not always! :? :?: :?

If this regularly happens to you in the morning (and you can't eat breakfast), you can use an old fasting trick and eat a couple dates/dried apricots about 15-30 minutes beforehand. It should get your enzymes going and settle your stomach down a bit before you shower it in sencha.

Nov 19th, '11, 13:03

by Tead Off » Nov 19th, '11, 13:03

Green tea is a known irritant to the stomach. It sounds like the OP has a sensitive stomach and should never take tea on an empty stomach. Many people have this reaction to green tea and don't have any problem with oolongs and blacks. But, it's probably best never to drink tea on an empty stomach. Same with coffee.

Nov 19th, '11, 16:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 19th, '11, 16:04

Tead Off wrote:Green tea is a known irritant to the stomach. It sounds like the OP has a sensitive stomach and should never take tea on an empty stomach. Many people have this reaction to green tea and don't have any problem with oolongs and blacks. But, it's probably best never to drink tea on an empty stomach. Same with coffee.
Heh, I must be from an alternate universe. Some blacks tear into my empty stomach such as Assam most noticeably and notably.

And greens especially Japanese seem to have helped my stomach issues I was having 5ish years ago.

It is funny how we are kinda wired/piped differently.

+ Post Reply