OTTI "OLD" Begin here!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

OTTI "OLD" Begin here!

Postby Chip » May 15th, '10, 11:29

EDIT: Please see the new topic Otti "NEW and SIMPLE" Begin Here! http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16242&start=0

I will let this "OLD" topic on the forum due to the discussion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings TeaChatters. Who wants to try something a "new?" I customarily sample pretty many teas ... as many of TeaChatters do, such is the nature of our love of the leaf. I also share these teas frequently through various tasting/sampling programs, etc ... again as many of us do.

I decided to try something a little more (semi) official. Thus the name ... the Official TeaChat TeaTasting Initiative, OTTI ... or the longer version OTTTTI :mrgreen: .

The goal of OTTI is pretty simple, to enable members to try teas they might not try otherwise and to expand all of our horizons. Share the experience with other TeaChatters. And then to hopefully discuss these teas via the forum.

It is my hope that this will be a sustainable tasting/sampling program.

Any member in good standing may participate, as long as the member joined the forum prior to the current "Round" announcement and makes some effort to participate on TeaChat.

I hope we will be expanding on this and enhancing it as we go. However Round 1 is going to happen, ready or not. In the next few days, look for a "Round 1" topic under this forum.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI Begin here!

Postby Chip » May 15th, '10, 18:53

Here is how it will work, subject to changes as we go. OTTI will consist of a hopefully never ending series of "Rounds." A Round is simply a tasting/sampling which will likely consist of several teas.

1) I will procure teas that are (hopefully) of a high quality (of course :mrgreen: ) through various vendors. (I am open to suggestions along the way!) The Round topic will include information on the teas included.

2) I will routinely list new "Rounds" under OTTI on the forum.

3) Interested members can PM me their "wish list" from the Round topic.

4) I will in turn reply PM the interested members including a list of available tea samples for the current Round. I will also include payment directions via Paypal.

5) Members will check off which teas he/she is interested in tasting/sampling, generally I am shooting for 5ish different samples per participant. and return PM back to me. This indicates a member is committed to this OTTI. Each tea is available on a first come, first served basis!

6) Members will Paypal the aprox $5 or so cost which will help defray expenses and maintain the sustainability of OTTI. International rates would naturally be higher.

7) Each of the "5ish samples" should give participants several "sessions."

Special note: This is NOT an Adagio program, although I am sure Adagio teas will find their way into the Rounds.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 16th, '10, 21:36

OK, the topic is now officially open for discussion.

The first Round will be previewed hopefully Monday. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby myemmie » May 16th, '10, 23:09

OK, so that I'm understanding and can have my PM ready :D

You're going to post a big list/round, I pm you with my 5ish picks from the list, you shoot me back with what's available...then I send money and you send tea? Then we do it all over again when you start a new round, y/n?
myemmie

Postby Chip » May 16th, '10, 23:39

myemmie wrote:OK, so that I'm understanding and can have my PM ready :D

You're going to post a big list/round, I pm you with my 5ish picks from the list, you shoot me back with what's available...then I send money and you send tea? Then we do it all over again when you start a new round, y/n?

Thanks for asking, myemmie! Yes, that is pretty much it. I will include pretty exact directions in the round topic. It will be very clear. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby chittychat » May 17th, '10, 00:03

Will the mailing be by Registered Mail?
chittychat

Postby Chip » May 17th, '10, 00:21

chittychat wrote:Will the mailing be by Registered Mail?

Packages will be shipped either Priority Mail or First Class Parcel.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby brian » May 17th, '10, 08:47

Great idea Chip! As I'm still just a tea beginner, something like this would give me the opportunity to be getting the same tea, at the same time, as some of the more experienced TCers. So not only an opportunity to try some new things, but also get some advice on how to brew, what to look for in the tea, etc. Bring it on!
brian

Postby Janine » May 17th, '10, 09:36

Question about Paypal: I don' t have a Paypal account, but we can use credit cards with the system, right?
Janine

Postby Proinsias » May 17th, '10, 10:41

Yay, nice one Chip.

Been a good while since I done an online tasting.
Proinsias

Postby horsencl » May 17th, '10, 11:09

Count me in :D
horsencl

Postby geeber1 » May 17th, '10, 12:16

Sounds like fun!
geeber1

Postby Rithmomachy » May 17th, '10, 12:47

This sounds great! Is there a limit to how many can participate? I don't want to miss out!
Rithmomachy

Postby Dresden » May 17th, '10, 13:14

This is a really really cool idea... :mrgreen:

I think this may help develop my palate because I will be able to see what others taste in the same leaf!!!
Dresden

Postby laura99 » May 17th, '10, 13:20

Sounds great! This should be a good learning experience for someone new to tea like myself.
laura99

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions