how much do you pay your help?

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

how much do you pay your help?

Postby Spiritofjohnsto... » May 15th, '10, 16:33

just getting started. Expect to open in late June or early July. Have no restaurant experience to speak of. Wondering what you pay for your help waiting on tea patrons. Help will also be helping out a little in the kitchen and gift shop so should be a little more than standard wait rate I guess even allowing for tips?
Spiritofjohnsto...

Re: how much do you pay your help?

Postby teaisme » May 17th, '10, 14:39

by standard wait rate you mean the going rate for the average server?
That is extremely low per hour...and unlike a food establishment patrons likely won't be moving in and out as fast

I think it would be wise to not treat your teashop employees like food servers, pay them a good hourly wage instead, and allow them to keep tips

better pay = happier employees
very important for a place like a tea shop where you want quality service/expertise to create a stable long term customer base

you also don't want your waiters to rush a patron because they are trying to get people in and out as quick as possible to stack up tips, horrible for the relaxing tea atmosphere that teashops usually try to create

just curious, where will you be located ? do you have a particular theme?
teaisme

Postby rabbit » May 17th, '10, 16:14

Not to mention, waiters/waitresses get paid less because the tips are much higher %'s based on the prices of MEALS, 20% of a cup of tea wouldn't be much of a tip, so they still end up with less then minimum wage.

I'd start slightly over the minimum wage bracket (or you could just judge how much based on experience and such in an interview) and allow them to keep tips.
rabbit

Postby virago_ns » May 25th, '10, 18:43

More importantly than wage is experience. My advise... hire someone who KNOWS tea, not just a counter worker. Anyone can work a cash register. Your customers will appreciate someone with at least a basic knowledge of teas.
Once you find an expereinced staff, base your wage on that. The more they know... the more you'll have to pay them. Not saying you should hire a tea master for $50/hr or anything... though it WOULD be cool :D
virago_ns

Instant Messenger

Permissions