Cha Zhi Dao What is it

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 12th, '10, 04:20

Cha Zhi Dao What is it

by chittychat » May 12th, '10, 04:20

Sometime ago somebody gave me a vacuumed sachet of tea which below the Chinese just says CHA ZHI DAO. The English of that person is as bad as my Chinese so I could not get much information. The tea was a rolled brown-green oolong. It tasted alright, nothing of the extraordinary.
Does anybody know about such a tea?

May 18th, '10, 10:47
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Cha Zhi Dao What is it

by Chip » May 18th, '10, 10:47

Any photos ... might be helpful! :mrgreen:

May 18th, '10, 17:47

by alan logan » May 18th, '10, 17:47

it does not totally sound like the name of a chinese tea

it makes me think of
cha zi 茶(杯)子
which means "tea mug/vessel (with a lid)"
("zhi" could then be approximate transliteration in pinyin?)
to my knowledge, "dao" refers to the technique, the way of doing something

so "cha zi dao" could correspond to some suggestion of vessel to use or that is suitable?

if you have a pic of the tea, maybe you could also post one of the chinese characters on the package, I guess someone who reads chinese could give you real info (or any hint better than my guesses :roll: )

May 18th, '10, 18:12

by wyardley » May 18th, '10, 18:12

I was thinking it might be 'zhidao' (知道) as in 'to know', but hard to say without seeing the characters.

May 18th, '10, 23:38

by chittychat » May 18th, '10, 23:38

Here is the picture. The Chinese characters seem to be a bit difficult to read. I am quite good already to read Tie Guan Yin in various flavors. :wink:
Attachments
ChaZhiDao.jpg
Empty Tea Sachet.
ChaZhiDao.jpg (84.9 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

May 19th, '10, 16:47

by cindyt » May 19th, '10, 16:47

Based on the Chinese characters.. so it is basically the same as Cha Dao. Here "zhi" is like 's, so literally - Cha's Dao.

Unfortunately it doesn't really have anything to do with the tea itself.

May 31st, '10, 17:14

by Elle » May 31st, '10, 17:14

Dao is an alternate trasnlation of Tao as in Taoisim/Daoism, and if the zhi is a possessive, "Tao of Tea"? Sounds like the brand name.

The vertical row of characters might be more telling - I don't remember a lot of Chinese but I recognize the first one as "zhong", meaning middle, as in zhongguo - Middle Kingdom, a.k.a. China. The dictionary indicates the second character as being part of the adjective form of "Chinese" and that's about a far as I can get.

Jun 23rd, '10, 23:51

by Komsip » Jun 23rd, '10, 23:51

Elle wrote:Dao is an alternate trasnlation of Tao as in Taoisim/Daoism, and if the zhi is a possessive, "Tao of Tea"? Sounds like the brand name.

The vertical row of characters might be more telling - I don't remember a lot of Chinese but I recognize the first one as "zhong", meaning middle, as in zhongguo - Middle Kingdom, a.k.a. China. The dictionary indicates the second character as being part of the adjective form of "Chinese" and that's about a far as I can get.
The characters after "Zhongguo" 中国 are "tie guan yin" 铁观音 so it's a tieguanyin from China. Cha dao 茶道 is just the brand in this case but it also means "way of tea" meaning "tea ceremony"
I don't know where the zhi comes from here...
I'm just a guy in the forest in Sweden I don't know everything...zhi is a mystery but maybe someone else knows

Jun 24th, '10, 04:29

by chittychat » Jun 24th, '10, 04:29

Komsip wrote:
Elle wrote:Dao is an alternate trasnlation of Tao as in Taoisim/Daoism, and if the zhi is a possessive, "Tao of Tea"? Sounds like the brand name.

The characters after "Zhongguo" 中国 are "tie guan yin" 铁观音 so it's a tieguanyin from China. Cha dao 茶道 is just the brand in this case but it also means "way of tea" meaning "tea ceremony"
I don't know where the zhi comes from here...
I'm just a guy in the forest in Sweden I don't know everything...zhi is a mystery but maybe someone else knows
You are darn right. How could I miss the Tie Guan Yin by now I know those characters . Need new eye glasses may be. Can't beat those forest dwellers in Sweden. :wink:

+ Post Reply