Questions about rishi

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 9th, '07, 18:14

Questions about rishi

by guitarfreak2641 » May 9th, '07, 18:14

I have been drinking oolongs for a while now and i am realy starting to get serious about my tea. I just bought two yixing tea pots and I am looking for a good tea to use with one of them. Can anyone recomend some good teas from rishi that would be worth trying, and maby give a description of the tea.

Thanks.

May 9th, '07, 19:26

by tomasini » May 9th, '07, 19:26

They have a FANTASTIC jade oolong...it's honestly more reminiscent of a good Tung Ting. Light in taste, i tiny bit of raw sugar really brings out the tea

May 9th, '07, 19:32

by guitarfreak2641 » May 9th, '07, 19:32

I had my eye on that one, it looks very good.

May 9th, '07, 20:04

by Space Samurai » May 9th, '07, 20:04

I have just started exploring oolongs, so I haven't tried many of Rishi's oolongs yet. Their Tung Ting is divine, the best I've had yet. I think of the Jade oolong as sort of a poor man's Tung Ting, but it is very good in its own right. Their Wuyi Oolong is very good as well, and quite affordable. I enjoy it when I'm looking for something a little darker.

Please let me know what you end up ordering. I will be placing another order with them in June (I think I'm going to try some of the Tie Guan Yin), and any feedback before I do will be helpful."

May 9th, '07, 23:36

by Al » May 9th, '07, 23:36

I prefer my oolongs slightly darker, and Rishi's Wuyi Ooling is very good.

I've tried the plum oolong, and wasn't a huge fan, but I'm not big on flavored teas.

There's a local coffee shop here called Alterra that I believe re-brands Rishi tea and sells it under their own name. If my hunch is correct, their Bao Zhong is Rishi, and it's also pretty good.

May 10th, '07, 00:48

by Space Samurai » May 10th, '07, 00:48

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the plum oolong, and for the same reason.

May 10th, '07, 14:35

by guitarfreak2641 » May 10th, '07, 14:35

I just ordered the jade oolong. I might also try the Wuyi soon.

May 10th, '07, 17:53

by guitarfreak2641 » May 10th, '07, 17:53

Has any body tryed the oriental beauty. It looks realy good, but its so expencive.

May 12th, '07, 21:33

by tomasini » May 12th, '07, 21:33

im actually about to go make the last bit of the jade oolong that i have right now =]
and now i havnt' tried it, but it does look tasty

May 14th, '07, 16:50
Scrolling: scrolling

rishi and harvest info

by Chip » May 14th, '07, 16:50

Ok all you Rishi heads that live on Teachat, I have a question or 2 about Rishi...before I contact them again. Does anyone know the answers to these questions.

I know this is an oolong thread, but this is in my observation of their greens, particularly Japanese greens. They have a pretty good assortment of Japanese greens. But why don't they provide consistant harvest information including where the sencha is harvested from (Uji, Kagoshima, Shizuoka, etc) and what year and flush is the sencha from. These are very relevant questions when it comes to Japanese greens, but regardless of what tea I am looking for, I always look for this info.

Also, packaging. Some of their sencha is properly packaged in Japan, while some is bought in bulk and packaged here, another relevant piece of info.

Yes, I could contact this vendor and ask about each and every tea I have even a minor interest in, but I like to see this info up front, where the whole world can see it.

May 14th, '07, 18:16

by Space Samurai » May 14th, '07, 18:16

Honestly, these are questions best answered by Rishi. I don't know why they don't provied consistent harvest information; I wish they would.

What I can tell you is why I choose to shop from them:

1) Quality, and I know this is subjective. But everything I have purchased from them has been fantastic.

2) I support companies that provide an extensive variety of organic and fair trade products, because these are my priorities.

3) Customer service. They have always been very helpful and friendly to me, both as a personal customer and as a buyer. I forgot his name, but I had a conversation with the gentlement from O-cha. I think we had a little misscomunication, he was short with me, I tried to apologize, but he ignored me after that. So I don't buy from him, no matter how good his teas are.

Tea vendors are like family doctors or tatoo artists to me, you develop relationships with them and stick to the ones you trust.

May 14th, '07, 21:24

by Chip » May 14th, '07, 21:24

...hmmm, was it truly necessary to name another vendor who you had a disagreement with in the context of my questions? I am sure you will not buy from O-Cha because you had a disaggreement with Kevin Moore. That is a personal issue between the 2 of you.

While the gentleman from O-Cha, Kevin Moore, you mention may not win a Mr Congeniality award, he does offer outstanding customer service in my opinion...and the best sencha I have ever had at prices that in my humble opinion are about 33-50% less than Rishi. Being nice does not mean great customer service...it is a part of it.

Plus ironically, he provides all the harvest info I mentioned in my original post. Add to this, he air ships all his sencha direct from Japan, Rishi doesn't. My sencha arrives from Japan in 4 days. Can't beat that.

May 14th, '07, 21:51

by scruffmcgruff » May 14th, '07, 21:51

2 days for me. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 14th, '07, 22:11

by Chip » May 14th, '07, 22:11

scruffmcgruff wrote:2 days for me. :)
LOL...yeah, you got me there...2 days from Japan...w@@t
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 14th, '07, 22:16

by Space Samurai » May 14th, '07, 22:16

Chip,

It was not my intention to get in a debate of who is the better vendor. I have nothing but respect for you, as you are brilliant when it comes to green teas, and I know I have sought your advice more than once in the past.

Perhaps my post did not relate to your question as well as it should have, and I should have left it with what I said in the begining or not responded at all.

I obviously was not clear, but what I was trying to say is that what makes a vendor good or great, adequate or horrible, depends, to some degree, on what you are looking for and what your priorities are. I meant to bring up O-cha only as a way of contrasting two, in my opinion, fantastic, yet different vendors.

If my previous poor choice of words has communicated to you anything other than what I just said, I apologize.

+ Post Reply