2010 FF darjeeling oxidation

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 27th, '10, 00:00

2010 FF darjeeling oxidation

by nickE » May 27th, '10, 00:00

I ordered my very first FF darjeelings from SpecialTeas last week. The tea in question here is the Yashodhara, which first off let me say is EXCELLENT.

Anyway, I was just wondering why it looks so green?? Isn't black tea supposed to be 100% oxidized? Not that I mind or anything, it tastes great.

Is this the norm for FF black teas? Feel free to share your thoughts on other FF 2010 darjeelings as well. I also bought the Sungma but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Here are some pics:

May 27th, '10, 06:04
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2010 FF darjeeling oxidation

by Victoria » May 27th, '10, 06:04

Yes, this is the norm for FF Darjeeling. They are typically very green and fresh. I have this Yashodhara and I agree it's very good.
:)

There is a difference in oxidation and roasting, the FF as evidenced having less processing and lighter roasting. Many people feel Darjeeling should be in their own class, because they are indeed different from most blacks and more akin to oolongs, especially the FF.

The Sungma is great too. :)

May 27th, '10, 16:25

by virago_ns » May 27th, '10, 16:25

Off topic... i am eyeing your kettle. Looks similar to my UtiliTea, but SHINEY :shock: May I ask what brand it is?

May 27th, '10, 16:42

by nickE » May 27th, '10, 16:42

The kettle is from Upton Tea. It's variable temp just like the UtilitiTea and yes it is very shiny. :D I'm pretty happy with it. I went to their website, but I can't find the variable temp. version, maybe they're sold out atm. :(

May 30th, '10, 13:32

by virago_ns » May 30th, '10, 13:32

Thanks, I've sent them an email to ask :)

Jun 1st, '10, 01:43

by nickE » Jun 1st, '10, 01:43

Victoria wrote:Yes, this is the norm for FF Darjeeling. They are typically very green and fresh. I have this Yashodhara and I agree it's very good.
:)

There is a difference in oxidation and roasting, the FF as evidenced having less processing and lighter roasting. Many people feel Darjeeling should be in their own class, because they are indeed different from most blacks and more akin to oolongs, especially the FF.

The Sungma is great too. :)
Thanks for the reply, Victoria! I finally tried the Sungma today, and I agree it is very good. Rich and flavorful, but still light and floral, if that makes sense... :? I also agree that the FFs are much more like oolongs, which is not a bad thing.

I still can't decide if I prefer brewing FF darjeelings western style or gong fu. Gong fu makes a "more concentrated" version, but eats through leaves like a mad man! :evil: Brewing western style somewhat conserves my tea stash. However, I can really only get 2 good infusions when brewing this way.
virago_ns wrote:Thanks, I've sent them an email to ask :)
Good luck, I hope you find it!

Jun 1st, '10, 10:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 1st, '10, 10:01

virago_ns wrote:Thanks, I've sent them an email to ask :)
I have this unit as well, though I never use the variable temp, never ... not even once and I bet I have used it thousands of times.

Works great.

+ Post Reply