OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

Postby Chip » May 26th, '10, 21:18

Welcome to ...
OTTI 2010 Round 1, Master of the Oolong!!!

Supplies will be limited as I mentioned previously. If you want to participate, PM me asap! See my reply post below for the nuts and bolts on how to participate.

This OTTI features, in case you did not already guess, Adagio Master Series Oolong listed below.

You will receive 4, there will be a mystery guest crashing this Oolong OTTI. :mrgreen:

I will also be including bonus oolong to early birds.

OK, here goes ... these are the 3 greener oolong from the Adagio Master Series. Remember there will be a 4th Mystery Oolong for each participant, and one bonus for early birds.

Adagio Master Series Fujian Ti Kuan Yin: http://www.adagio.com/masters/fujian_ti_kuan_yin.html?SID=43a7c73ea1f17fb3cc2796153106ce65

Adagio Master Series Ali Shan: http://www.adagio.com/masters/formosa_ali_shan.html?SID=43a7c73ea1f17fb3cc2796153106ce65

Adagio Master Series Pouchong: http://www.adagio.com/masters/formosa_pouchong.html?SID=43a7c73ea1f17fb3cc2796153106ce65

Premium Mystery Oolong from Hsinchu Taiwan

And a Bonus Oolong for early birds!

Cost for Round 1 for current members of TeaChat:
USA members: $7.00
Canadian Members: 8.50 UDS
European Members: 10.00 USD

EDIT 1: Greetings OTTI participants!

Hopefully you will be receiving your teas very soon! All packages went out Thursday and Friday with one exception. This was quite an undertaking, 3 OTTI-s at the same time. Note to self, don’t do that again!

This was also exasperated by several unanticipated delays, most notably a vendor who was most uncooperative and who I will be posting about shortly. Also there was a problem with the packaging! So, I did have to majorly improvise this time around! My apologies! Hopefully the packaging will be fully resolved in time for the next OTTI.

So when you receive your OTTI, I would suggest opening it up and placing the samples into more packaging. You can place the samples in their current wrapping directly into a canister or a vendor foil bag.

The packing is a bit of a balancing act. I would not want to over extend thus significantly increasing the participants cost for the OTTI-s, but the packaging was NOT as planned and will improve!!!

So, look for improvements there. This being the first rounds, there will be a learning curve. I am open to constructive comments, suggestions!

OK, now on to the TEA!

Remember to post in the OTTI topics!!!

EDIT 2: OTTI Round 2 Oolong! Some of these I never tried before ... so we learn and experiment together!!!

Be sure to use all your senses in the tasting, smelling the dry leaf, observing it dry and wet, again smelling the brewed tea, etc.

There should be 4 samples, plus a bonus selection. So 5 total. The primary players in this OTTI are the 3 Adagio Masters Green Oolong, namely Masters Ali Shan, Fujian TKY, and Taiwan Pouchong. So, that is the first and primary focus of our OTTI #2.

Each sample contains virtually 8 grams of leaf with a few exceptions, so if you use half for each session, that is 4 grams. I am offering the leaf ratio I used for each, however you can adjust according to your taste.

The 4th sample varied a bit as did the bonus selection! They should all be interesting selections and include one darker oolong as the 4th sample. Some received Rishi's Bai Hao Hsinchu which I quite enjoyed. Some received Adagio's Dan Cong which is a very approachable Dan Cong. And others received an aged Zhong Shan Baiye. Might have been one more?

For the bonus, most participants received "similar" Adagio Oolong to the 3 Masters Green Oolong, namely ... their regular Ali Shan (their first ever Ali Shan) and Huang Jin Bolero (similar to a TKY).

After this was depleted, I made sure everyone received an interesting bonus anyway! Some received Ancient Tea Flowers which are actual flowers from ancient tea trees used in Pu-erh production in Yunnan ... this tea does not fit into any normal "type" but is something that the few lucky particiapants should enjoy.

EDIT 3: Brewing. OK, I have brewed a LOT of oolong, but I am more of a greenie as everyone knows. Thus please chime in with your ideas and how your way is different. My temps tend to be a tad cooler as well, the influence of liking green teas? So, there is not a strict right or wrong here, adjust to taste, experiment ... AND HAVE FUN!!!

Brewing vessels. I will be using a gaiwan or gaiwanesque (gaiwan for dunmmies ... or gaiwan with panache depending on who you ask). On ocassion I will use glass for increased observation of the unfurling of the leaves.

How much. If you have been on TC long enough, you have likely heard the term ratio used in determining how much leaf to use. A ratio is simply general or preferred strength that allows increasing and decreasing of either leaf weight or volume water while keeping the strength steady.

Generally, the longer you have been drinking oolong, the higher leaf ratio you will use. Newer to oolong, you will generally use lower ratios. But give the higher ratios a try!

Your leaf ratio is calculated X grams leaf : Y ounces water. If you fill in the grams at 4, you can adjust the amount of water to find your ratio. Or you can fill in a value for the water and adjust the amount of leaf. I am suggesting using 4 grams leaf for each session and adjusting the amount of water. And I offer corresponding amounts of water below based on using 4 grams, rounded off. This will also give you 2 full sessions, just use half each time.

1:1 4 grams : 4ounces water. I would call this semi gong fu. You can offer alternative suggestions!!! You will know you are in the ballpark if the leaves virtually fill the brewing vessel after a few steeps.

Or you can eyeball oolong pretty easily. Fully covering the bottom of your vessel is about right for the "balled" oolong. Half full or even more is about right for the wiry, fluffy oolong.

But for actual tastings, many brewers want it a bit on the precise side, then they will brew more casually with later sessions.

(then again, oolong can be brewed in a semi Western style as well)

Temperatures! This is so subjective. I have observed those who like darker oolong also tend to brew their greener oolong hotter than some who I would classify as green tea drinkers. So, this will be an area of some debate!!!

Temp wise I will share what I do, and by all means, other participants may offer alternatives. For greener oolong I simply pour the boiling water in to a cooling pitcher and then intuitively pour this over the leaves when I feel the temp is right.

Darker Oolong, up to boiling.

Time for this semi gong fu ... around a minute. I judge by aroma mostly, and somewhat by color.

Problems: Too intense, decrease leaf. Too bitter, decrease temp and/or time. Cooler water makes for a less aromatic but sweeter cup.

Multiple steeps. Absolutely! A good rule of thumb for me (you may need to adjust) …
2nd 185*, 30-60 sec
3rd 190*, 60 sec
4th 195* 60-120 sec
This is something I do not really regulate closely, just kind of go with the flow.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong

Postby Chip » May 26th, '10, 21:20

Here is how it will work, subject to changes as we go. OTTI will consist of a hopefully never ending series of "Rounds." A Round is simply a tasting/sampling which will likely consist of several teas.

1) I have procured teas that are (hopefully) of a high quality (of course) through various vendors. (I am open to suggestions along the way!)

2) Interested members can PM me to join this Round. See the OP for further details on this! Notify me if you do NOT have Paypal ... then also see #4. This Round includes all selections!!! No wish list needed.

3) I will in turn reply PM the interested members including payment directions via Paypal.

4) Members will Paypal the $7 cost (see OP for international members' cost) which will help defray expenses and maintain the sustainability of OTTI. International rates would naturally be higher. If you do not have Paypal, I would encourage you to go to Paypal.com and do so, very easy and safe! It is also the best way to do the OTTI. However if you do not have a paypal, let me know in your PM so we can make other arrangements.

5) Each of the 5 samples plus the bonus tea should give participants several "sessions."

6) Brewing directions will be included. Plus you can ask in this topic ... or PM me.

7) Hope to see some discussion here ... and under the Official TeaVendor topics for the appropriate vendors.

Special note: This is NOT an Adagio program, although I am sure Adagio teas will find their way into the Rounds.

Heh, Adagio found their way in to the OTTI!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby qiao2zhi4 » May 27th, '10, 04:42

exciting!
i'm so curious about all of them,
specially the special guest
:D
qiao2zhi4

Postby camw » May 27th, '10, 05:12

Definitely keen for future Oolong rounds. Thanks for organising everything Chip.
camw

Postby virago_ns » May 27th, '10, 16:06

Hmmm... I'm interested in this one as well. How many rounds are you doing? Might be easier for us who wish to participate in all the rounds to pay in 1 paypal transaction.
virago_ns

Postby Chip » May 27th, '10, 16:33

The first 3 rounds were initially going to be combined into just one, but then it just made a lot more sense to split it up. It was a last minute decision to split it up and thus allow more picking and choosing and/or more samples depending on what the member wanted to do.

So the first 3 are running concurrently. This will likely not be the case in the future ... but this is all subject to change.

I hope the OTTI will continue to run indefinitely.

Having said all that, Round 4 is already pretty set. :lol:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 27th, '10, 16:40

... and this "Master of the Oolong" Round is still open!!! :mrgreen:

PM me if interested.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Rithmomachy » May 27th, '10, 17:21

Chip wrote:Having said all that, Round 4 is already pretty set. :lol:

Any hints?
Rithmomachy

Postby Chip » May 27th, '10, 17:36

Rithmomachy wrote:
Chip wrote:Having said all that, Round 4 is already pretty set. :lol:

Any hints?

:lol: I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that! :twisted:

Almost finalized, stay tuned. :wink:

Glad you could join us for the first three Rounds! I think you will be on board for Round 4!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Rithmomachy » May 27th, '10, 18:05

Well if we keep doing a round a day, my wallet might not let me! But I assume we'll have a break at some point to actually, you know, sample the tea! (If not, well, I'll hold out as long as my bank account does!)
Rithmomachy

Postby chittychat » May 27th, '10, 22:32

Chip wrote:I hope the OTTI will continue to run indefinitely.

Having said all that, Round 4 is already pretty set. :lol:

I will have to wait now until I have my one order to see if all went well with shipping etc. That might take up to 3 weeks by our dismally slow postal service. :(
chittychat

Postby virago_ns » May 29th, '10, 06:02

I agree on the pacing... maybe one every couple weeks to spread them out?
virago_ns

Postby Chip » May 29th, '10, 09:01

Yeah, the first three ... that was an exception to my expectations as well. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby nickE » Jun 3rd, '10, 22:52

I'm so excited! :D

I've heard a lot about the new Adagio Masters Series and have been wanting to order some, especially the Fujian Ti Kuan Yin, for some time now.

Thank Chip for organizing all of this, very cool!
nickE

Postby Chip » Jun 14th, '10, 21:37

OK, everything is in da house, I will be shipping this this week. Sorry for the delay. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions