Recommendations: Yunnan black tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 25th, '10, 00:44

Recommendations: Yunnan black tea?

by spinmail » May 25th, '10, 00:44

I remember a pleasing batch of Yunnan golden tips some time back - spicy and flavorful; not smooth, but robust and memorable. The tea was bold with a deep golden infusion.

What kind of Yunnan would you recommend for someone interested in a smoother flavor profile?

May 25th, '10, 23:51

Re: Recommendations: Yunnan black tea?

by LauraW » May 25th, '10, 23:51

I've found Adagio's Yunnan Noir to be not quite as spicy, a much smoother taste, and a wonderful everyday tea. I bought a pound of it last time I ordered :shock: (though admittedly, my boyfriend loves it too, so between the two of us, we'll go through it a lot faster). I'm not very experienced with Yunnan's, though, so I can't recommend a variety.

May 26th, '10, 12:36

by geeber1 » May 26th, '10, 12:36

I have enjoyed this one:
http://taooftea.com/detail96-Tippy_South_Cloud.html
from Tao of Tea. I also had a sample a while ago from Yunnan Sourcing that I got from a tea swap, but don't know what variety it was. It was good, though!

May 26th, '10, 14:25

by Poohblah » May 26th, '10, 14:25

+1 for Yunnan Sourcing. This year's Feng Qing 1-leaf-1-bud was not peppery, but it was very tasty. Also so-called "Dragon Pearls" available from Adagio and Teavana do not seem, to me, to be so peppery either - more malty, really.

May 26th, '10, 19:03

by Rithmomachy » May 26th, '10, 19:03

Yunnan black is next on my list of teas to try, although with OTTI up and running and samples from finepuer.com coming any day now, it might be a while.

Yunnan Sourcing has a plethora of blacks to try though. What's the difference? Is price indicative of quality?

May 26th, '10, 19:05

by geeber1 » May 26th, '10, 19:05

Okay, I found the baggie the YS tea was in. The tag says 2008 Bana Black Gold. It was a great tea. If they still have it on their site, I would sure recommend you try it!

May 26th, '10, 19:29

by Poohblah » May 26th, '10, 19:29

Rithmomachy wrote:Yunnan Sourcing has a plethora of blacks to try though. What's the difference? Is price indicative of quality?
The difference is bud/leaf ratio and flavor profile. Some are all buds, some are mixed, some have no buds; some are spicy while others could be smooth and sweet. The descriptions on YS's website seem to address those issues fairly well. AFIAK they are all fairly good quality - the ones I've had certainly are.

May 27th, '10, 18:00

by spinmail » May 27th, '10, 18:00

Adagio's Yunnan teas have a good reputation and outstanding reviews, but the price could be more competitive.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by two offerings by Yunnan Sourcing: "Spring '10 Feng Qing 1 Leaf 1 Bud Yunnan Black tea," and "Mojiang "Gold Needle" Yunnan Black." I wonder if others have had good experiences with these teas.

May 27th, '10, 18:25

by Rithmomachy » May 27th, '10, 18:25

Is all-bud necessarily higher quality than few or no buds, or is it a matter of preference?

May 27th, '10, 21:33

by entropyembrace » May 27th, '10, 21:33

It´s mostly a matter of preference...all buds is usually more expensive but it´s not nessesarily better. Older leaves give a heavier mouth feel and more robust flavours. Pure buds are usually quite mild and delicate.

May 27th, '10, 23:01

by Poohblah » May 27th, '10, 23:01

spinmail wrote:Adagio's Yunnan teas have a good reputation and outstanding reviews, but the price could be more competitive.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by two offerings by Yunnan Sourcing: "Spring '10 Feng Qing 1 Leaf 1 Bud Yunnan Black tea," and "Mojiang "Gold Needle" Yunnan Black." I wonder if others have had good experiences with these teas.
Yes, I have (had, actually - I finished my bag of Feng Qing already) both of those. The Feng Qing is my favorite of the two. It is not spicy like other Yunnans but light and sweet instead. If you use a decent amount of leaf, you can get a few steeps out of it. The Gold Needle is nice but it is not very complex. It has the distinct Yunnan Black pepper flavor, but that's about all there is to it. That's not to say that it's bad, because it is tasty. It's better as an everyday tea.

May 28th, '10, 00:12

by Rithmomachy » May 28th, '10, 00:12

entropyembrace wrote:It´s mostly a matter of preference...all buds is usually more expensive but it´s not nessesarily better. Older leaves give a heavier mouth feel and more robust flavours. Pure buds are usually quite mild and delicate.
Thanks!

May 28th, '10, 04:38

by tsverrir » May 28th, '10, 04:38

May 29th, '10, 13:42

by Serg » May 29th, '10, 13:42

I have also tried 2010 Jinggu "Golden Strand" Pure Bud from yunnan sourcing and I agree that it is sweet and smooth, very sweet indeed. But the brew is not quite transparent, it's cloudy. Is it a common case with red teas? Also when pouring hot water into a teapot a lot of foam emerges on the surface. I dont get such amounts of foam with other kinds of tea. Is foam related to tea quality in some way?

May 29th, '10, 19:51

by Poohblah » May 29th, '10, 19:51

Serg wrote:I have also tried 2010 Jinggu "Golden Strand" Pure Bud from yunnan sourcing and I agree that it is sweet and smooth, very sweet indeed. But the brew is not quite transparent, it's cloudy. Is it a common case with red teas? Also when pouring hot water into a teapot a lot of foam emerges on the surface. I dont get such amounts of foam with other kinds of tea. Is foam related to tea quality in some way?
Foam will develop depending on the tea you're steeping, temperature of the water, whether or not you did a rinse, etc. You can skim it off the surface with the lid of your gaiwan (if you're using one), otherwise, don't worry about it.

+ Post Reply