orderly sediment

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jun 1st, '10, 17:45

orderly sediment

by teaisme » Jun 1st, '10, 17:45

here's something I haven't seen posted before that I thought some might not know judging from vendor pics and other peoples brew pics

If you want all your sediment to be in the very center of your cup and not all over the bottom, simply pour the tea on the side of the cup instead of directly into it , this makes it swirl very nicely bringing everything to the center, the faster the pour the more it will swirl (really does not have to be fast though), and you can just do it towards the end of the pour also for the same effect

I think it is a little bit more aesthetically pleasing when serving to others in bigger cups

Jun 3rd, '10, 11:53
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: orderly sediment

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '10, 11:53

:lol: only on a tea forum! :wink: That is interesting information.

With many teas you want the sediment to settle.

However with most Japanese greens you actually may want to keep them more or less in suspension. This may include the most tiny of particles to smaller leaf fragments. Thus an ocassional, gentle swirling of the cup is helpful.

Jun 3rd, '10, 14:31

by teaisme » Jun 3rd, '10, 14:31

Chip wrote:However with most Japanese greens you actually may want to keep them more or less in suspension. This may include the most tiny of particles to smaller leaf fragments. Thus an ocassional, gentle swirling of the cup is helpful.
Yep couldn't agree more, with japanese greens I drink absolutely everything in the cup often looking forward to the last few sips, but with some oolongs, most whites, and most blacks it seems like drinking the sediment creates a slight unpleasantness in my throat. I don't really like to drink the sediment of most houjichas though.

Jun 3rd, '10, 14:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '10, 14:35

... ditto with the houjicha, bleh. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply