Upcoming changes to ingenuiTEA

If we've got something important to say, you'll hear it here first.

Jun 3rd, '10, 17:12

Upcoming changes to ingenuiTEA

by Mikael » Jun 3rd, '10, 17:12

Hi Guys,

We're trying to address issues with the ingenuiTEA that some people have been having.

Many of you guys didn't like our transition to replaceable filters. We did this because people wanted to microwave, but now we're having problems with the filters. Too much hot water warps the filters which makes them loose. This allows tea to get through which then becomes clogged on the bottom. Very annoying! We have addressed this by sending replacement filters but sometimes they don't fit (I spent all day yesterday trying to figure this out and it seems to be a problem with the manufacturer making the replacement filters a hair too big).

We've decided to scrap that idea and go back to metal non-removable filters. An issue is that the new design won't be microwavable because of the metal filter. What do you guys think about that?

I don't really see this as a big deal. I never microwave water for tea since microwaving water tends to make the tea taste weird. Perhaps we should send out this article along with the new model so people understand why microwaving water for tea isn't really a good idea in the first place.

Jun 3rd, '10, 17:26

Re: Upcoming changes to ingenuiTEA

by Dresden » Jun 3rd, '10, 17:26

Will the replacement filters still be available for sale to those of us who have the current model?

I have noticed the problem with the new ones being slightly too large, however once it is inserted and removed once or twice the problem works itself out.

Personally I like being able to remove the filter for cleaning. Would it be possible to design a lock on the metal one so that a quarter-turn lets it slip off for cleaning?

Cheers,
Mike

Jun 3rd, '10, 17:37

by Mikael » Jun 3rd, '10, 17:37

Replacement filters will still be available but not right now. Our current batch is defective.. way too big. But yes for those who have the older model, there will be replacement filters.

As for your idea about removing the metal filter, that won't really be necessary. You won't need to take out the filter to clean the cup. If we implement what you suggest.. the cup won't be $19 anymore :? lol

Jun 3rd, '10, 18:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '10, 18:52

Just a tip to those reading this and want a temporary fix for filters that float up/off: Roughing up the sides with scissors or a butter knife (Please be careful!) will help the filter to grab hold and stay down. If you scuff up that edge pretty good all the way around it fits snug again.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=37173#p37173

It seems the ingenuiTea is a very popular starting tool for newbies, and they do microwave in it. (I know I did) Yes, I think enclosing the info about why it's better not to microwave water is a good idea.

Still many use these at work where there are no other options but to microwave. In those instances it certainly is convenient, I hate to see that option taken away.

Jun 3rd, '10, 19:53

by laura99 » Jun 3rd, '10, 19:53

I started off with one of your competitors versions of the ingenuiTEA with a metal non replaceable filter. It works very well, but when small pieces of leaf get stuck in the filter it is very hard to clean. No way to get a good tool in there to clean it.

Got the ingenuiTEA a couple of months ago - and really like being able to clean the filter separate. But that was a bit offset by the number of times a second/third brew of the tea was ruined when the filter floated up when pouring the water (wish I had seen that thread earlier Victoria!).

I finally got my replacement filter in by force (must have been one of the too large ones) - so I don't think I will have that problem anymore, but probably will not be able to get back out :)

So long story short, I think the change would be OK. I have never microwaved directly in the ingenuiTEA.

Jun 3rd, '10, 23:25

by Dresden » Jun 3rd, '10, 23:25

When I have had to resort to microwaved water it was done in a large Pyrex measuring cup. Absolute last resort.

Jun 4th, '10, 00:16

by RachelC » Jun 4th, '10, 00:16

Can't we have both options available to us? Maybe then I can have one of each on hand and use them according to my present circumstance. Just a thought. Always, better to have more options than not enough. :D

Jun 4th, '10, 01:26

by debunix » Jun 4th, '10, 01:26

I used to work in a lab where abundant hot water was available, but not drinkable, and microwaving was the only solution--there was not room or secured space in the safe-for-food areas for an electric kettle, and the coffeemakers dominated the scene.

So I had a plastic cup and microwaveable tea ball.

I'd have much preferred an IngenuiTea that was microwaveable.

Fortunately I've graduated to a food-safe office, and a kettle, and gaiwans galore.

Jun 4th, '10, 14:02

by Mikael » Jun 4th, '10, 14:02

I'm afraid there's no middle way here. It's either/or. For us to do microwavable we would have to continue using the filters that we have in place now.. and that material doesn't do well with high temperatures. We're trying to fix the filter problem and that means using a different material.

If you need to microwave then you can use another product, like the glass mug & infuser. You can take out the infuser, add water to the mug, microwave it to hot, add tea leaves to the infuser, then insert the infuser into the mug. Wha-la!

Jun 4th, '10, 14:26

by Dresden » Jun 4th, '10, 14:26

Just a public service announcement...

If you ARE going to heat water in the microwave, try and put a small piece of wooden skewer in the water. This gives an imperfect surface and allows the water to boil. If not, you run the risk of super-heating. Superheated water can boil violently if you are not careful.

Exploding water is real and very dangerous!!!

Exploding Water Video

Be safe,
Mike

Jun 5th, '10, 14:54

by artmom » Jun 5th, '10, 14:54

Dresden, interesting video. The distilled water definitely got superheated.

I've been microwaving water in my ingenuiTEA since January, but I don't use distilled water. I really like the way the ingenuiTea works for me--cutting down on using a kettle, and a teapot. I'll use it carefully until the original filter and the extra one I ordered wear out then dispose of it (recycling somehow).

No sense me buying one with a metal filter; I have strainers, etc.

Jun 10th, '10, 11:50

by Mikael » Jun 10th, '10, 11:50

Hi Guys,

I didn't want to create a new thread for this since it's not a big announcement, but rather just a development in regards to the replacement filters. Some people that received replacement filters for the IngenuiTEA couldn't make them fit. They were just too big. We now have a solution for that. I'm guessing that whoever has the problem will email us, but incase somebody here does a search hopefully they will find this post and follow the instructions:

Unfortunately the replacement filters do not fit snugly into the IngenuiTEA pot until you soften the filters up a little bit. This seems to only be a problem with our latest shipment, so please bear with us. The solution is very simple. Boil a cup of water and once its hot, steep the filter in for at least 10 minutes. The water doesn't have to be continuously boiled, you can just boil it and then pour the water into a cup and put the filter inside. Push the filter down with a spoon so it's covered completely by the water. After 10 minutes, the filter will fit nicely into the IngenuiTEA pot. If it doesn't, then either your water wasn't hot enough, you didn't steep the filter long enough, or both. Sorry for the inconvenience.

+ Post Reply