Discussion of "Better Packaging Methods for Everyone"

Have something to add to an article? Don't keep it to yourself!

Re: Discussion of "Better Packaging Methods for Everyone"

Postby Christopher D. » Jun 4th, '10, 18:16

I received my order today. The 9 samples I ordered all came in the small tins. I also ordered 4 other teas in larger amounts. They all came in the bags. Three of them came in plain brown paper bags with the same Adiago sticker on the front detailing the tea and brewing instructions. The other came in a much nicer and thinner bag with graphics and a new Adiago sticker on the front.

For what it is worth, I like the fancy bag more than the brown ones, but it's just because it looks nicer.

I don't mind the bags much. The old tins with the plastic tops are nice, but not a necessity.

Will the packaging for the samples eventually switch also?
Christopher D.

Postby Mikael » Jun 4th, '10, 18:38

Hey Christopher,

Yeah the brown bags are just a transition until we're fully situated with the new designs. We do all the printing here so are getting all the machines set up and hiring somebody to run them.

Samples too will be in the new packages as well. The only tins will be the masters collection, but tins will still be available to purchase separately in the Pantry section. These are the tins with the UV cover on the top.

How do you like the 9 teas that you received? Which ones? 8)
Mikael

Postby Christopher D. » Jun 6th, '10, 10:54

I'm sad to hear the sample tins will be done away with also. :( I would gladly purchase them if I had the choice. However, it will probably be easier to scoop out the tea of the new sample bag. No worries, I'll adjust. :)

Question on the "Masters Collection"....will it change? Will others be added? Will they kind of just 'revolve' and represent what the nicest leaves available at the time are?

As far as the samples go, I'm only about halfway through tasting them, the Keemun Encore's smoked chocolate flavor is rad (in my glass right now!) and the Dancong Aria was really enjoyable.

Continued luck on the crossover, everyone will come around. Change is good! :D
Christopher D.

Postby rabbit » Jun 6th, '10, 11:35

I'm seeing alot of passive-agression in this thread... let's all be completely honest, we want the tins because they are nicer than pouches... this is clear, but the pouches CAN be recycled... remember that Adagio is a business and that if they were to say "we are switching to pouches so that we'll make more money" people would probably flip out on them and stop shopping there. The pouches are no less recyclable than the tins (granted they are less reusable), but when push comes to shuv, the bottom line is Adagio will be saving money and staying afloat in a tough economy, don't forget that many of you started your journey into tea because of companies like this one.

You can still buy tea tins and REUSE them if you want, yes it will cost you more money, but again, you can reuse them, so if you care so much about the environment then spend the extra buck, and if you care about good businesses then offer constructive critisism in place of complaints.

I'm sure Adagio's new brick and mortar store wont be free for them to start.
rabbit

Postby geeber1 » Jun 6th, '10, 14:45

If the tea isn't strongly scented, I save pouches from other vendors and reuse them. They come in very handy! I have used them to send samples to other people or to keep some tea "in use" while storing the rest.

The Adagio tins are nice, but they don't stack without falling down. I don't think I'll miss them much.
geeber1

Postby Karen H. » Jun 6th, '10, 18:05

I also prefer the reusable tins. The stackable feature is important in a small kitchen. I do prefer products that are made domestically, though, and read packaging for country of origin all the time. I will choose "Made in USA" over "Made in China" when available. If you could source tins made in USA, I'd be very willing to pay a bit extra.

Only #'s 1 and 2 plastics are recyclable in the cities where I've lived, and they must be in bottle form - not clam shells, for example. Only larger grocery stores provide a receptacle for "recyclable" plastic bags which probably go directly to the dumpster. I don't believe the new Adagio plastic bags realistically can be or will be recycled.

I do understand the desire to reduce costs. However, I think your demographic would be willing to pay a little extra for reusable metal tins that are "Made in USA." Paper bags for refills could easily be recycled after reusing them to write grocery lists.

I think your repeat customers realize that buying loose tea from you is a much better value than buying tea bags at grocery stores or loose tea at specialty shops. If you decide to cheapen the product with less desirable packaging, you may reduce your customer base and end up spending more time and money trying to attract new customers who place smaller, sample-size orders.

If you decide to reconsider, I do prefer the tins with removable stickers on them versus the printed tins. I plan to relabel one for my chamomile that came in a paper bag.

Thanks for requesting feedback.
Last edited by Chip on Jun 6th, '10, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Size edited for better readability ...
Karen H.

Postby TubbyCow » Jun 6th, '10, 22:19

rabbit wrote:You can still buy tea tins and REUSE them if you want, yes it will cost you more money.

Actually, now that I see the tins cost $3, I'm really not even remotely upset. I don't mind Adagio making more money, and I bet the bags are a bit cheaper to ship.

And, seriously, $3 a tin is really very reasonable. I couldn't believe they were free to begin with.

I guess with any big change, some people will be happy and some not, so kudos to Adagio for taking the plunge!
TubbyCow

Postby Karen H. » Jun 7th, '10, 16:55

$3 is the retail price of each of 3 tins in $9 set. The cost is some smaller percentage of that. Many small businesses add a 100% to 200% markup to wholesale costs.

So, yes I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar for a reusable stacking tin. Then I'd be glad to buy refills in bags at a lower price.
Karen H.

Postby Scarlet Glow » Jun 8th, '10, 10:40

Yeah, I am not buying this "going green" thing. It seems more about saving the company money than saving the environment.

But, think about the cost that you now have to put into advertising in order to differentiate to your customers... again. People know Adagio when they see it because of the tins and canisters. This is what sets them apart from other companies who use the 'loose leaf in a bag' method. You are now making yourself look exactly like your competitors and losing a perception advantage... so what reasons now will you give your customers to choose YOU over your competitors?

The bags will just go in the trash while the tins are re-usable... and they get USED!

I have used the empty tins for wrapped candies, bobby pins, buttons, and change. I have given them to scrapbooking buddies who have used them to store eyelets, pens/markers, etc. In a particular case, I had given some tins to my cousin (who is an avid scrapbooker) and her mom saw the Adagio label, became curious about the brand, and bought some Adagio tea in the local grocery store (and liked it!). If I would have had a sample 'bag' this situation would have never happened. So, if anything, the tins are good advertising.

Plus, I don't mind paying $3 for a tin. I thought it was a steal at $2. If I didn't like the sample, at least I got a nifty tin.

I have bought samples from other companies for more than $2, received it in a bag-like package, and only managed to get about 4 cups out of it. Adagio "samples" make about 10 cups... I think. Thus, even for a $3 tin, it's worth it, IMHO.
Scarlet Glow

Postby Mikael » Jun 8th, '10, 13:19

Karen H. wrote:$3 is the retail price of each of 3 tins in $9 set. The cost is some smaller percentage of that. Many small businesses add a 100% to 200% markup to wholesale costs.

So, yes I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar for a reusable stacking tin. Then I'd be glad to buy refills in bags at a lower price.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the feedback. You're right that this will save the company money, but only in the long run. We purchased printing and packing equipment and are doing everything here, minus the actual production of the packing material. We're also hiring someone full time to work the new machines we have. So right now we're losing money on this but yes, eventually (and hopefully) we will save money by switching.

As wonderful as tins are as a presentation, most people do not re-use them. They simply get tossed. So we decided it's better to send tea in a more tossable, and yes cheaper, packaging. People like you that want to reuse tins, we figured would be willing to buy them separately.

We're hoping people can adjust. :) Saving money on packaging will allow us to offer better quality teas like the new Masters collection and also, as rabbit mentioned, try the retail game.

Btw, I know you're willing to pay more to keep the packaging, but in this economy many are not. We just didn't want to raise prices.
Mikael

Postby minion » Jun 13th, '10, 04:00

Hi,

I just ordered for the first time yesterday. I have to say I am bummed to read this now. I ordered from your company because of the tins.

They are reusable and you can recycle them which you can't do with plastic bags. The 'most ppl don't do this' argument is uninformed.

I ordered form the European site, because I am from Austria.

For years and years we've been recycling (I can't remember the time when we didn't very well so it has to be 20-25 years). Each household has about 4 different bins (paper, organic waste, packaging material and residual waste) additionally there are places where we bring our metal, white and colored glass.

Ordering from the European site brings me an other problem: I can not even order the 3-tin set you sell to store my, now packaged in polluting materials, teas.

I understand that it isn't environmentally friendly to ship the tin containers from china but i can't imagine that there wouldn't be a local company which would produce them for you. Yes it might be more expensive but if your company would truly care about the environment it would be something to consider. I as a customer would accept to pay a few more bucks for locally produced tins than less for cheap plastic.

All in all I, as many others have stated, think the main reason behind this step is that it is cheaper.

Yours sincerely,
Lisa
minion

Postby Katrina » Jun 17th, '10, 17:39

I was sorry to see the move (if for no other reason than I just commended Adagio for using the metal tins in an article I wrote last Fall!) It does seem a reasonable decision though.

I was curious if the bags are cellulose-based or petroleum-based?

Just my curiosity in trying to evaluate how green they are. Thanks!
Katrina

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions