Oolong Prices

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '07, 12:16

Oolong Prices

by deadfingers » Jan 5th, '07, 12:16

Well I really started getting into the oolong teas, I really like them a lot so I started searching around for more. I went to rishi-tea for some and their selection is pretty decent but I noticed that they don't sell more than 50 grams at a time. I figured it was probably a little less than 2 ounces. I noticed that on http://www.houdeasianart.com they don't sell oolongs in bigger quantities than 2oz either. Why? I mean at that some of these teas are pretty expensive for 2 oz. Some go for $15-20, that's quite expensive imo when you get that little. I can deal with the price but why do they sell them in such small quantities? Albeit yes I can buy multiple bags/tins of 2oz each but why can't I buy them in bigger quantities already like on Adagio? Also other than Adagio what are some other good places for oolongs? I know http://www.houdeasianart.com is a great place to go for Pu-Erh, so is there a site that someone can recommend that sells the most oolong varieties? Thanks

Jan 5th, '07, 16:35

by Warden Andy » Jan 5th, '07, 16:35

I buy oolong from jingteashop.com. They don't have the cheapest oolongs, but it's still cheaper than rishi or houde. Although, I think the quality of the tea makes it worth it.

Teaspring looks like another good place to get oolongs.
Super elite tea facist....

Jan 5th, '07, 17:48

by EvenOdd » Jan 5th, '07, 17:48

Yep, what Andy said. Teaspring is American based with their product shipping from China. The shipping prices don't reflect that, but I assume the cost is built into the tea itself. They offer various quantities. Jing offers either 100g or 25g samples. Usual Chinese shipping prices.

Jan 5th, '07, 23:19

by deadfingers » Jan 5th, '07, 23:19

Great thanks for the sites guys, they look pretty good.

Jan 6th, '07, 00:06

by studio271 » Jan 6th, '07, 00:06

I don't want to sound too pushy, but I definitely feel that the oolongs Guang sells at HouDe are worth the cost.

I'd go into more detail, but I'm too tired right now. :P

Jan 6th, '07, 01:06

by deadfingers » Jan 6th, '07, 01:06

Hah well I didn't say I wouldn't give them a try but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a tea and end up hating it. I will try them out but right now I am trying to get a good stock of teas going. All I have right now is like 10-15 sample tins from Adagio and they are going fast.

Jan 6th, '07, 05:57

by EvenOdd » Jan 6th, '07, 05:57

Price-wise, I would guess teaspring would be the safest bet. You can get 25g samples at reasonable prices. Good variety. I haven't ordered with them yet, but I've read knowledgable reviews saying what they had wasn't bad.

Jan 6th, '07, 17:59

by kissmyhuman » Jan 6th, '07, 17:59

Well 50 grams is enough for about 15-20 cups (6-8oz), but you can get up to 7 steepings from the good stuff, and 3 or 4 from the moderately price varieties. Even at a modest output of 45 cups from 50 grams, its only 44 cents a cup if you pay $20, still cheaper than a can of soda.

Jan 6th, '07, 23:56

by deadfingers » Jan 6th, '07, 23:56

Yeah I guess you're right, I guess I haven't been the greatest when getting the most out of my tea. I used to just steep once then throw away the leaves, now I steep at least 3 times. Well seeing how things takes at least 3 weeks to get to me, I want to make sure I have plenty of tea. Running out of tea isn't an option for me.

Apr 14th, '07, 10:12

by jogrebe » Apr 14th, '07, 10:12

Right I agree that there is a tradeoff between price and quality. Personally I tend to focus on cheaper teas that taste good, not to say that I go for the cheapest grade that I can find but that I settle for the mid range grades that settle well on the tradeoff scale and will not even try samples of teas that are beyond the price that I am willing to spend on tea.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Apr 17th, '07, 05:40

by MarshalN » Apr 17th, '07, 05:40

My suggestion:

Buy a bigger bag of something you already know you like.

Then, buy smaller samples (1-2oz) of things you don't know if you'll like, you consider too expensive, or whatever.

Do you use a gaiwan to brew? It will help your experience immensely. Yixing is not required, gaiwan though... a cheap one (cheapest one you can find in the US/online is probably around the $7-8 mark) will be worth way more than the cost of the thing.

I think others can attest to that.

May 20th, '07, 19:32

by Libertatis » May 20th, '07, 19:32

Personally i think Houde is worth the price. As we speak i am drinking some 2007 Early Spring Wood-Fired NanTou Oolong and i can say is is very good. I buy tea from other sources here and there (I really like the Adagio White Peony) but Houde is consistently very good for tawianese oolongs.

Also, you are wrong that you can only get 2oz packages from Houde. If you select 4oz you get a 4 oz package. And the bulk savings go up from there. I must admit though, i usually don't buy larger than 4oz at a time because with fresh high mountain oolongs they oxidize (loose flavor) gradually after the package has been opened. That is what makes 2 oz packages so great, it will be nice and fresh when you open it! :shock:

Also, prized teas like Li-Shan rarely come in packages over 2oz (50grams). This is partly because they are expensive per oz and partly to preserve the freshness.

May 20th, '07, 20:32

by Space Samurai » May 20th, '07, 20:32

Libertatis, how is their dong ding?

May 21st, '07, 17:57

by jbenenson » May 21st, '07, 17:57

I have recently decided to buy Fair Trade tea as much as possible. Read about the history of tea cultivation and how it is produced even today and you might make the same decision.

New World Tea (www.newworldtea.com) has a good selection of Fair Trade oolongs and the taste is very good.

+ Post Reply