OTTI 2010 Round 1 ShinCHAAA ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

OTTI 2010 Round 1 ShinCHAAA ... and Reviews!

Postby Chip » May 24th, '10, 13:55

Welcome to ...
OTTI 2010 Round 1, ShinCHAAA!!!

Supplies will be limited as I mentioned previously. If you want to participate, PM me asap! See my reply post below for the nuts and bolts on how to participate.

Please list all shincha in order of your preference ... or you can let me choose for you. You will receive 5 based on your list, and I will endeavor to include your top picks.

If you received any of these already, please let me know this. I will make certain NOT to send a tea you already received.

Since I have many more Shincha in limited quantities, I may also fill in with some of these as needed.

I will also be including at least one bonus Japanese green, a sixth tea. This will likely NOT be from this list

OK, here goes ... all listed teas are Japanese Shincha, 2010. Half of these are new to me as well.

Den's: http://www.denstea.com/index-main_page-index-cPath-492.html
Kunpu
Houryoku

GreenTeaLovers: http://greentealovers.com/greenteaproductspremium-slct.cfm?itemcode="SHINCHA"
Kagoshima Shincha

Maeda-en: http://maeda-en.com/store/productlist.php?teatype_id=90
Shincha Gold- this one is no longer on their site/sold out, but it is also Fukamushi
Shin-cha Hachijyuhachiya (88th Night)

Maiko: http://www.maiko.ne.jp/english/shopping/2010sencha.htm
Shincha Sencha
Kinari

O-Cha: http://www.o-cha.com/shincha-green-tea/
Sae Midori
Yutaka Midori Kaoru Supreme LE

Cost for Round 1 for current members of TeaChat:
USA members: $7.00
Canadian Members: 8.50 UDS
European Members: 10.00 USD

EDIT : Greetings OTTI participants!

Hopefully you will be receiving your teas very soon! All packages went out Thursday and Friday with one exception. This was quite an undertaking, 3 OTTI-s at the same time. Note to self, don’t do that again!

This was also exasperated by several unanticipated delays, most notably a vendor who was most uncooperative and who I will be posting about shortly. Also there was a problem with the packaging! So, I did have to majorly improvise this time around! My apologies! Hopefully the packaging will be fully resolved in time for the next OTTI.

So when you receive your OTTI, I would suggest opening it up and placing the samples into more packaging. You can place the samples in their current wrapping directly into a canister or a vendor foil bag.

The packing is a bit of a balancing act. I would not want to over extend thus significantly increasing the participants cost for the OTTI-s, but the packaging was NOT as planned and will improve!!!

So, look for improvements there. This being the first rounds, there will be a learning curve. I am open to constructive comments, suggestions!

OK, now on to the TEA!

Remember to post in the OTTI topics!!!

EDIT 2: OTTI Round 1 ShinCHAAA! Some of these I never tried before, some vendors I never tried before ... so we learn and experiment together!!! And of course with each new harvest, it is a whole new ball game!

There should be 6 samples, at least 5 are Shincha plus a bonus selection that in most cases is not shincha. Each sample contains virtually 8 grams of leaf, so if you use half for each session, that is 4 grams. I am offering the leaf ratio I used for each, however you can adjust according to your tastes. Links for each tea are located under OTTI Round 1 on the forum. I believe everyone got just about everything they had requested, AMAZINGLY!!!

Bonus teas. If you received the bonus “Happy Tea,” that is called Shiawase-cha and is from Maiko. Oishi Ichibancha is another selection from GreenTeaLovers. And a few received Adagio Masters Shincha and O-Cha’s regular “classic” Shincha Yutaka Midori.

EDIT 3: Brewing.

Brewing vessels. If you have a kyusu, great! Remember for Fukamushi, more careful pouring is required in order to prevent too much particle from passing through or clogging the screen altogether.

If you do not have a kyusu. If you use an infuser basket, for the fukamushi I recommend doing things a bit backwards. Put the leaf in the infuser, water in the pot, then set the infuser into the water. Otherwise too much particle will pass through the infuser or it may get really clogged up.

How much. If you have been on TC long enough, you have likely heard the term ratio used in determining how much leaf to use. A ratio is simply general or preferred strength that allows increasing and decreasing of either leaf weight or volume water while keeping the strength steady.
Generally, the longer you have been drinking sencha, the higher leaf ratio you will use. Newer to sencha, you will generally use lower ratios as your tastes have not fully adjusted to sencha.

Your leaf ratio is calculated X grams leaf : Y ounces water. If you fill in the grams at 4, you can adjust the amount of water to find your ratio. Or you can fill in a value for the water and adjust the amount of leaf. I am suggesting using 4 grams leaf for each session and adjusting the amount of water. And I offer corresponding amounts of water below based on using 4 grams, rounded off. This will also give you 2 full sessions, just use half each time.

1:1 4 grams : 4ounces water
0.9:1 4 : 4.5
0.8:1 4 : 5
0.7:1 4 : 5.5
0.6:1 4 : 6.5

Just about any Shincha, I will first try at a ratio I somehow intuitively come up with … then adjust with future sessions. Below are my somewhat adjust ratios for each tea. Again if you are newer to sencha, you might want to adjust down a bit, but that is up to you! Based on the ratio, you can plug in the values listed above, or create your own.

Temperatures! This is so subjective. I thought I heard everything, then the owner of O-Cha posted even lower temps on TC. Well, I have not tried those yet.

There are differing temps based upon whether one preheats the kyusu (teapot) or not. Basically if you do not preheat your pot, the temp you use should be approx 15* F hotter due to rapid drop in temps. Lately I have been preheating the pot, but I go back and forth periodically.

If you preheat, smell the warming leaf in the pot, mind blowing!

I will list in order from the OTTI topic.

Den’s Kunpu 1:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 1.5 min
Houryoku .9:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 30-40 seconds

GTL Kagoshima Shincha .9:1, 160* in a preheated kyusu, 40 sec

Maeda-en Gold .9:1, 175-180 in a room temp kyusu, 40 sec
88th Night 1:1, 175-180* in a room temp kyusu, 40 sec

Maiko Shincha Sencha 1:1, 160* in a preheated kyusu, 90 sec
Kinari 1:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 90 sec

O-Cha Sae Midori 1:1 158* in a preheated kyusu, 40 sec
Yutaka Midori Supreme .9:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 40 sec

Bonus, Happy Tea 1:1, 175 in a room temp kyusu, 60 sec
Bonus, Oishi Same as Kagoshima Shincha
Bonus, Adagio Shincha .8:1, 160* in a preheated kyusu, 40-60 sec (still playing with this one)
Bonus, Yutaka Midori (not the Supreme!) Same as YM Supreme

Problems: Too intense, decrease leaf. Too bitter, decrease temp and/or time. Cooler water makes for a less aromatic but sweeter cup.

Multiple steeps. Absolutely! A good rule of thumb for me …
2nd 165*, 20-30 sec
3rd 175*, 60 sec
4th 185* 60-120 sec
5th boiling, 1-infinity … there is nothing left to make your brew bitter. Just mellow, sweet tea water.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 1 ShinCHAAA!

Postby Chip » May 24th, '10, 13:55

Here is how it will work, subject to changes as we go. OTTI will consist of a hopefully never ending series of "Rounds." A Round is simply a tasting/sampling which will likely consist of several teas.

1) I have procured teas that are (hopefully) of a high quality (of course) through various vendors. (I am open to suggestions along the way!)

2) Interested members can PM me their "wish list" from the Round topic. See the OP for further details on this! Notify me if you do NOT have Paypal ... then also see #4

3) I will in turn reply PM the interested members including payment directions via Paypal.

4) Members will Paypal the $7 cost (see OP for international members' cost) which will help defray expenses and maintain the sustainability of OTTI. International rates would naturally be higher. If you do not have Paypal, I would encourage you to go to Paypal.com and do so, very easy and safe! It is also the best way to do the OTTI. However if you do not have a paypal, let me know in your PM so we can make other arrangements.

5) Each of the 5 samples plus the bonus tea should give participants several "sessions."

6) Brewing directions will be included. Plus you can ask in this topic ... or PM me.

7) Hope to see some discussion here, also in the Shincha Review Topic under Green Tea ... and under the Official TeaVendor topics for the appropriate vendors.

Special note: This is NOT an Adagio program, although I am sure Adagio teas will find their way into the Rounds.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 24th, '10, 21:12

... and we went live for OTTI 2010 Round 1 on time!

I am anxious to OTTI with fellow members!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 24th, '10, 21:34

Since I am at my parents as I mentioned earlier ... brother is in from Chicago ... I will be home shortly and will respond to your OTTI PMs!

Keep the PMs coming ... :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 25th, '10, 00:44

The first 3-4 hours were pretty active. There is still plenty of room for others to jump on this OTTI.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby the_skua » May 25th, '10, 15:38

This is an awesome concept. I'm so glad that I found this. Thanks so much for running it!
the_skua

Postby Chip » May 25th, '10, 17:10

Thanks and welcome to TeaChat! We are all looking forward to seeing you around the forum. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby virago_ns » May 25th, '10, 18:57

Love it!
virago_ns

Postby Chip » May 25th, '10, 19:23

virago_ns wrote:Love it!

Me toooo ... :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 27th, '10, 16:38

This Shincha Round has a few spaces left, though some selections are no longer available.

Still a great selection nevertheless and a great opp to try a bunch of Shincha at a very low cost. :mrgreen:

PM me ASAP if interested!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 3rd, '10, 00:01

Sorry. The Shincha Round of OTTI is now "closed" to new participants due to the overwhelming response of our members. Thanks to everyone who is participating in this premier round of OTTI!

Sorry if you missed this Shincha Round, but an encore is in the works! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby the_skua » Jun 14th, '10, 21:20

Is this thing happening, or did I lose out on $14? It's been weeks...
the_skua

Postby Chip » Jun 14th, '10, 21:33

the_skua wrote:Is this thing happening, or did I lose out on $14? It's been weeks...

Sorry for the delay.

There was a hold out that was beyond my control. Fortunately all the teas promised have arrived, but the planned bonus teas STILL did not. I had to crazily make other plans in order to be able to send all the teas plus the promised bonus teas. :shock:

... I have decided not to wait for the planned bonus teas and go ahead and ship asap. Everything is in cold storage and will be packed up and sent by week's end.

Again sorry for the delay, there is a bit of a learning curve in doing this.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby brian » Jun 15th, '10, 00:21

Woo-hoo, new shincha soon!

Big thanks again Chip, this is a super thing that you organized and are doing for us. I know some days I feel like I barely have time to brush my teeth, let alone buy/pack/mail a bunch of tea all over the country (world?). Next time you're in Colorado I'll buy you a beer. Or tea.
brian

Postby Chip » Jun 15th, '10, 00:39

Thank you very kindly. Just give me a view of purple mountains, majesTea! :mrgreen:

:lol: whose brilliant idea was it to do 3 OTTI-s concurrently instead of the initial plan of just one. :roll: The TeaFridge is packed solid. :lol:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions