What is the right music for Adagio?

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

What is the right music for Adagio?

Postby Charles » Jun 18th, '10, 14:03

I need your help identifying the right approach to music in our stores and finding the right musicians to work with.

Read more about what I'm looking for here http://www.tearetailer.com/article_68.html and let me know your thoughts.
Charles

Re: What is the right music for Adagio?

Postby Dresden » Jun 18th, '10, 14:06

What else.... Jazz!!!

Here is one in Westchester, IL. http://www.petertye.com/index.html

This list may be helpful. http://www.gigsalad.com/Music-Groups/Big-Band/IL/Naperville
Dresden

Postby Charles » Jun 18th, '10, 14:16

LOVE jazz, but almost need a custom mix of songs. Don't really want to go old-school, especially in Chicago.
Charles

Postby Victoria » Jun 18th, '10, 14:30

As long as it is instrumental and not too loud, most anything.
Victoria

Postby geeber1 » Jun 18th, '10, 14:33

I was thinking that since many of your teas have orchestral titles, you might use classical music. But quiet.
geeber1

Postby Charles » Jun 18th, '10, 16:21

LOL. That's the challenge. Classical music goes from whisper quiet to incredible crescendos without warning. Again, I would need a custom mix of music...
Charles

Postby Chip » Jun 18th, '10, 16:26

Heavy metal, dudes ... :lol:

New age to instrumental. Relaxing w/o putting the customer to sleep.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby geeber1 » Jun 18th, '10, 17:21

The other day I was at the hair salon and Led Zeppelin was playing in the background. As much as I liked it, there were probably a lot of customers who didn't. It was the first time I ever heard that type of music playing while getting a haircut. :)
geeber1

Postby jazz88 » Jun 18th, '10, 18:49

geeber1 wrote:The other day I was at the hair salon and Led Zeppelin was playing in the background.

Cool! I wouldn't mind that at all!

Jazz would be a great choice. Classical music – many things are way too dramatic, besides the whole Adagio brand has a distinctly modern feel to it. Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel and particularly Erik Satie come to my mind as perhaps more appropriate. Something along the lines of Philip Glass might also be cool.
jazz88

Postby trent » Jun 18th, '10, 19:02

I would suggest Brian Eno's ambient music, preferably "ambient 4: on land".

The music was designed to be played at low volumes, as ambient noise, so I think it would be fitting. Here's a good description of eno's ambient music (scroll to the 3rd to last paragraph for an overview of ambient 4): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/117 ... 4-on-land/
trent

Postby Proinsias » Jun 18th, '10, 20:14

Maybe something like Thievery Corporation? fairly laid back, fusion stuff. It's new! it's cool! it's bringing in elements of older eastern culture! it's mixing it with younger western stuff! and there are generally no nasty surprises. A bit like Adagio.

Sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04bg9IC9N6w
Proinsias

Postby Charles » Jun 19th, '10, 10:28

"Generally no nasty surprises." I love it! :) I think that will be the new Adagio slogan. Ha ha.
Charles

Postby Victoria » Jun 19th, '10, 15:27

LOL, great slogan!
Victoria

Postby thekidstrumpet » Jun 27th, '10, 21:10

I think Proinsias could be onto something with Thievery Corporation, they are great lounge music. I also think Nu Jazz or acid jazz is great ambiance music. Something like the Saint Germain des Prés Café compilations. Check out the artists and track listings for those at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Germain-des-Pr%C3%A9s_Caf%C3%A9

I think those would fit the adagio form.
thekidstrumpet

Postby Frontsider » Jan 2nd, '11, 19:49

Couldn't help but notice this post and had to respond. Its actually my first time writing on here as well :D

Music can play a big role for me in enjoying that perfect cup of tea, and thanks to adagio (and my sweet skills) that perfect cup is enjoyed several times a day. But like a good or right cup of tea, the right kind of music can take me away, unwind, and just create the perfect atmosphere for me. It can create an overall feeling and enhance the mood, but of course has to be the right kind. Ive found that ambient or down tempo mixes work wonderfully to compliment my tea drinking experience. Like a previous poster replied with thievery corporation, they are along the lines of what i'm talking about, but are more mainstream in that world of particular music.

I have way too many mixes of down tempo chill music, but like tea, I can never have enough. Some examples are Tosca, Lemongrass, Ishq, The sushi club, Alex Cortiz, baby mammoth, Slowdeck, Jens Buchert, tipper. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I wish I could just make mixes for you and send em over!
Frontsider

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions