Formosa Ruby Black Tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 19th, '10, 11:33

Formosa Ruby Black Tea

by artmom » Jun 19th, '10, 11:33

Just did my first steep of Formosa Ruby Black Tea, grown in Sun Moon Lake, Nantou, Taiwan, from Jas etea. Premium grade, Spring 2010.
The leaves were interesting; tightly rolled, from a 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch long-- looked very black to me. (Apparently other see them as very dark red. :roll: ) The aroma definitely had a FF "grassiness" to it. I didn't pick up a cinnamon aroma as mentioned on the website.

As usual, I didn't read the steeping directions for amount, temperature, etc. I always like to brew black teas as I normally do for the ones I drink a lot. 212 F water, 3 - 5 minute steep.

I should have read these directions!!!! Wasn't enamored of the taste, but I should have used cooler water and steeped first for only 1 minute (for normal consumption.)

Looking forward to finding cinnamon and mint notes in this tea when steeped properly!

Will report second try.:)

Jun 20th, '10, 17:05

Re: Formosa Ruby Black Tea

by artmom » Jun 20th, '10, 17:05

Final review on Formosa Ruby Black Tea .

4.6 grams tea leaves; used new digital scale that has buttons big enough for my fat fingers :lol: ; 200cc (6 ounces) of filtered water; temp of water 202 F. Steeped for one minute.

Perfect cup of black tea. Still no cinnamon and/or mint aroma, taste, aftertaste, etc. However, this will make a good breakfast tea; smooth, no bitterness, and a quick, one minute steep! The leaves are attractive.

My infusion, dry leaves, and wet leaves looked just like the illustrations on the website:

http://www.jas-etea.com/products/Formos ... 18%29.html

Jun 21st, '10, 05:57

by TokyoB » Jun 21st, '10, 05:57

artmom - There is a very long thread about this type of tea here -
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9332

The ones I have had displayed a noticeable mint taste although I couldn't really detect the cinammon.

Jun 21st, '10, 12:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 21st, '10, 12:34

You know I had received a sample of this from Jas-eTea, But it was just marked Formosa Black. In my mind I did not relate that is the the
Formosa Ruby Sun Moon Lake which I have had before.

Looking back on it now, I think I much preferred it over the other samples I have tried, but I need to brew again. And definitely at <3 mins.
Thanks for your reviews Artmom!

Jun 21st, '10, 15:37

by Alucard » Jun 21st, '10, 15:37

I had Ruby Black (#18) from Norbu about a month ago, which appears to be the same variety you listed from JAS. I did not notice any mint or cinnamon but was not expecting to either. The tea was sweet and malty, not bitter or astringent at all. Now that I've received my first gaiwan I am looking forward to trying this tea again. It seems some flavors are lost when I used an inexpensive yixing when compared to the gaiwan.

Jun 22nd, '10, 19:36

by artmom » Jun 22nd, '10, 19:36

This tea is definitely one of my favorites, when brewed at 1 minute for first steep. I do love my blacks! :)

+ Post Reply