Recommend an oolong from Yunnan Sourcing?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 22nd, '10, 23:16

Recommend an oolong from Yunnan Sourcing?

by bongoman » Jun 22nd, '10, 23:16

HI there

I'm putting together a small order of puerh from Yunnan Sourcing and was looking at their oolongs as well.

Are there any oolongs from YS that anyone would recommend? I'm after a daily drinker, preferably pesticide-free. The sort of tea that I would drink whilst at the computer working, if that makes sense.

I note that they have a Dan Cong at a very cheap price.

Jun 23rd, '10, 02:35

Re: Recommend an oolong from Yunnan Sourcing?

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '10, 02:35

I only ordered one oolong from them, but will definitely order it again: Yunnan Oriental Beauty. A lovely, fruity, mellow oolong, like what black tea wishes it could be, if you left out all of the horrid bitterness. Not too expensive.

Jun 23rd, '10, 04:33

by bongoman » Jun 23rd, '10, 04:33

That certainly sounds an interesting tea and at that price I'll grab 250g I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll also grab some of the 2010 Spring * Anxi "Hairy Crab" Mao Xie Fujian Oolong Tea.

Jun 23rd, '10, 23:24

by Tead Off » Jun 23rd, '10, 23:24

debunix wrote:I only ordered one oolong from them, but will definitely order it again: Yunnan Oriental Beauty. A lovely, fruity, mellow oolong, like what black tea wishes it could be, if you left out all of the horrid bitterness. Not too expensive.
There are many good black teas without bitterness. Darjeelings are some of the best in the world and Taiwan's Sun, Moon, Lake black teas can be delicious. Black teas are in their own world, like Puerh. Learning how to brew and select them are the keys like any other tea. Many oolongs can be bitter if not brewed carefully.

Jun 24th, '10, 01:26

by debunix » Jun 24th, '10, 01:26

I may try some more black teas again in time, but after really enjoying some Yunnan gold, I got bold and bought an ounce each of several black teas from India from Chado--don't remember exactly which one, but they were fancy single estate types, and some a couple of different Keemun samples as well, and basically all ended up composted, because I could not find a way to make them acceptable. This was about the same time I became very frustrated with several green teas and dumped them as well, before I had my breakthrough with sencha and dragon well, so there may be so me black teas in my future, someday.

But right now I have too much good stuff to explore among the greens, and whites, and oolongs, and puerhs, and no real need or desire to work through the teas whose bitterness the inspired centuries of adulteration with milk, etc.

Jun 24th, '10, 02:32

by nickE » Jun 24th, '10, 02:32

bongoman wrote:That certainly sounds an interesting tea and at that price I'll grab 250g I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll also grab some of the 2010 Spring * Anxi "Hairy Crab" Mao Xie Fujian Oolong Tea.
That sounds like a good plan. I've been intrigued by the "Hairy Crab" Oolong also and have thought of ordering some.

Previously, I've ordered some Wuyi that was pretty decent, especially for the price.

It is also worth mentioning that most of Scott's Yunnan Black (Hongcha) are really excellent. Had the 2010 Jinggu Golden Strand recently and absolutely loved it. :)

Jun 24th, '10, 09:52

by nonc_ron » Jun 24th, '10, 09:52

debunix wrote:basically all ended up composted------------------------ -----------------------------and dumped them as well,
Don't dump your teas man, It's just not right. :)
I turn my bad stuff into iced tea, Sometimes I even add flavors.
If every thing fails, I feed the leaves to my earth worms (They never complain)

Jun 24th, '10, 17:20

by entropyembrace » Jun 24th, '10, 17:20

Buying the Indian black teas was probably a mistake if you dislike bitterness...even I can taste bitterness in most Ceylon and Assam black teas and I have a very low bitter sensitivity...

The Keemun´s should have been okay though...I never taste bitter in them...maybe ask Chip which one he likes. Some people complain about Keemun being smokey or bitter which I´ve never detected. We had a bit of a discussion about it here. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13053

Jun 24th, '10, 21:56

by debunix » Jun 24th, '10, 21:56

nonc_ron wrote:I turn my bad stuff into iced tea, Sometimes I even add flavors.

If every thing fails, I feed the leaves to my earth worms (They never complain)
I don't drink iced tea, and I do feed used or unloved tea to my earthworms. They seem to love turning tea leaves into compost--the tea leaves are among the fastest things to disappear in the worm bins.

Jun 27th, '10, 08:24

by nonc_ron » Jun 27th, '10, 08:24

debunix wrote:I don't drink iced tea.
Whoa! It's 90* out side. A glass of iced tea would really be refreshing. :D
Like all of us I start my day with a hot cup of Puerh. (And as it cools to room temp I don't mind) But this time of year I keep a large pitcher of iced tea in the refrig. at all times. :D

Jun 27th, '10, 11:01

by debunix » Jun 27th, '10, 11:01

Mom used to make iced tea with Lipton and lots of sugar, horrid stuff. I did try some iced tea last year, a 'cold brew' technique suggested in another forum, wondering if I could improve the bitterness of a particular green tea. It was hideous, and that made me less interested to try it again.

+ Post Reply