Adagio's first Retail Store

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Re: Adagio's first Retail Store

Postby s(tea)ven » Jun 20th, '10, 19:08

I will definitely stop in next time I travel to Illinois. I don't know when that will be, but now I have a reason! 8)
s(tea)ven

Postby teaisme » Jun 25th, '10, 16:07

may you grow fast and prosper! Teavannas just don't cut it, I really would like a chain store that has some actual variety.

Curious about your hot water setup Charles? Would you be using zoji's like teavanna ?
Also congrats on the maestro collection, what a step in the right direction.
teaisme

Postby Charles » Jun 25th, '10, 16:20

Zojirushis are great for at home or work but don't have the capacity for a high volume tea shop. We'll use proper water boilers like http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/H5EDVPC.html. These can be set to precise temperatures (we'll have one for green and one for black teas) and are capable of dispensing more than 20 gallons of boiling water per hour. Not necessary most of the time, but I want to be able to do tastings and cuppings an have water "on demand" and at the right temperature!

Thanks for the kind words. We're excited about the changes. All 20 kilograms (44 pounds) of Shincha sold in under two weeks so it appears the customers are interested in following us up-market. :)
Charles

Postby Chip » Jul 8th, '10, 23:09

How is this coming along? Any photos? :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Charles » Jul 8th, '10, 23:13

We have finished the architectural plans and will be submitting them for permits on Tuesday. Target open date is September 1, and construction will probably not begin until the last week of July or first of August.
Charles

Postby Chip » Jul 8th, '10, 23:20

Thanks for the update. Hope to see some of the plans when you deem it appropriate. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Mei » Jul 13th, '10, 02:59

I love the concept of the retail store and can't wait to visit it once it opens.

The one thing you must have is knowledgeable staff members. There is nothing worse than walking into a store, asking for something specific and having the clerk try to sell you the most expensive item in their store: especially when it is not at all what you asked for. (case and point- I walked into a tea retailer and asked for a recommendation; I wanted a floral and delicate jasmine tea and they had 3 different varieties of jasmine tea. However, the vendor then tried to convince me to buy white silver needle! needless to say, I walked away empty handed.)
So please, when hiring for positions, please choose people like your representatives at the International Housewares Show in Chicago.

What customers want (contrary to what they may say they want) is perceived quality. There are plenty of less than stellar coffee shop chains (which I will not name) that serve mediocre coffee at best. However, people perceive them as being great- so they will pay more and stand in line for their perceived quality. I think the way your concept is structured will help get the point across that adagio is a fine-tea provider that focuses on quality tea and not a local hang-out that happens to sell tea.
Mei

Postby Love4TheLeaf » Aug 5th, '10, 11:52

Charles wrote:Adagio's first brick-and-mortar tea retail store will be at 27 W. Jefferson in Naperville, Illinois sometime in late August of 2010. Read more for a profile of the location. http://www.tearetailer.com/article_61.html

Would love to hear your thoughts and answer any questions.

This is outstanding news! I live in NW Indiana and think this is desperately needed around here. It's especially good that it's a reputable name like Adagio.
Love4TheLeaf

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions