OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

Postby plant partaker » Jun 26th, '10, 02:32

My secon oolong I brewed was the Pouchong. I used 4 ounces to 4 grams. The steep time was 3 minutes. The temperature was boiling water. I don't even know how to categorize this tea. It isn't floral. I can't think of anything it taste like It sort of has it's own thing going on. Good tea though :lol: . Soneone else brew this tea and tell me what I am trying to say!
plant partaker

Postby Chip » Jun 26th, '10, 22:11

Thanks Plant Partaker! I will try to be a bit more focused next tasting of this Pouchong.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby rhondabee » Jun 27th, '10, 13:50

I am trying the Ali Shan (M) right now. Unfortunately I don't have a gaiwan at home, only my clay teapot, and I'm brewing gung fu style. I underbrewed the first steep, so it was weak, but I tasted some acidity/tartness, which I like. I prefer the gaiwan when smelling the wet leaves, as the teapot tends to mask the scent or something. So I took a few leaves out to smell, and they are very floral smelling. Second steep was okay, but still seemed a little "thin" tasting to me, although the pot is filled with leaves. I'm not tasting the savoriness along with the floral. Maybe too floral for my taste? Third steeping best tasting so far, but still not real impressed. I have tea left for another pot, so I'll take it to work to try in my gaiwan and see if that makes a difference. Looking forward to trying the other samples!
rhondabee

Postby rhondabee » Jun 28th, '10, 14:43

I tried the Alishan in my gaiwan at work and it tasted better brewed in the gaiwan, but still a little weak tasting to me.

I am now trying the Adagio Fujian TKY. What a difference in the scent of the wet leaves! The TKY smells to me for some strange reason like mashed potatoes with a green scent, some roasted notes. Maybe it is actually a buttery smell, not sure. Not really floral to me at all. The flavor of the tea is similar to the scent - buttery/starchy/vegetal(?), This is a real change of pace from my usual high mountain green oolongs. I don't drink a lot of TKY so can't compare to other TKY teas, but the leaves are mostly stemless and very torn/holey.
rhondabee

Postby nickE » Jun 28th, '10, 21:06

Adagio MS Pouchong
Geekgirl wrote:Taste: This is still a good tea, though IMO, if you have access to a good shop or another source, this tea does not make the grade. While it has a good "green" flavor, floral and smooth, there are undertones of the type of bitterness and astringency you get with broken leaves, which are not present in a higher quality tea.

If this were being sold as a standard grade "good" quality BZ, in the sub-$100 range, it might make my list. I have to admit that I am skeptical when a US tea company tries to make the transition to fine teas from blacks, blends and flavors. IME, the teas being offered seldom measure up to small vendors and traditional teashops. Sadly, this tea has done nothing to adjust that perception.

I also came to similar conclusions with this tea. I found it to be only slightly better than some BaoZhong from Rishi, which was about $50/lb.

You are right, that it is far from bad. But with an exceptional pricetag, I would expect an exceptional tea. For these reasons, I will skip the long-winded review.

The TKY is the only MS tea that I think can warrant this kind of pricetag. However, I did like the AliShan a little better than the Pouchong. I will post a review later! :D
nickE

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 29th, '10, 13:19

rhondabee wrote:The TKY smells to me for some strange reason like mashed potatoes with a green scent, some roasted notes. Maybe it is actually a buttery smell, not sure. Not really floral to me at all. The flavor of the tea is similar to the scent - buttery/starchy/vegetal(?),

Sampling this morning. The aroma of the TKY dry leaves was really nice. Not as fragrant as I expect a high quality TKY to me, (I had to stick my nose practically IN the leaf to smell it well.)

After the first steep though, yeah, I'm noticing mashed potatoes. Oddest thing. I don't think it was your suggestion, since I missed it the first time around. At first I thought collard greens, but that is more the flavor, aroma is... starchy. Weird. Makes me want to try the other 1/2 of the sample immediately in yixing, to see if it draws that scent off. :shock:

2nd steep isn't an improvement, I get... swimming pool. I'm sorry, don't think I can continue this one. I can't even describe the aroma of the wet leaves, but it's one of those odors that makes your nose feel like you burned it.

I'm going to try it now with yixing. Shame too, this is a beautiful tea.

edit to add I attempted 2 steeps in yixing, and it's just the same, maybe a wee bit worse, although that might just be my already primed expectation of yuckiness. I really don't know what the deal is with this tea, especially given the other favorable reviews. Is it possible that this sample is contaminated somehow? I'm disinclined to believe it, as I know how meticulous Chip is, so if it was, it would have been contaminated upline. Whatever the case, this is truly one of the worst oolongs I've ever had, and I sincerely hope it was simply a bad batch or partial batch, but I won't be testing that theory by ever purchasing it.

Frustrating. Maybe it's me? Or my water? or teaware? This has never happened before...
Last edited by Geekgirl on Jun 29th, '10, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Geekgirl

Postby Chip » Jun 29th, '10, 13:26

Thank you for sharing your comments/reviews rhondabee, nickE, and Geek. Interesting comments! :mrgreen:

Oops, missed Geeks edits. I received 2 batches of this since I ran out of the first batch. Well, actually 3 batches. My first sample, then these two batches that arrived a few weeks apart. TBH, I cannot remember if I tasted each batch. But I am more than curious now.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Victoria » Jun 29th, '10, 14:12

Wow, Geek ... You are talking the Adagio Masters TGY? How can that be? :shock: This is most definitely the best TGY I have ever had. Very green and floral. Strange indeed. I didn't participate in this tasting as I already had bought the sampler and then reordered the large tin.
Victoria

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 29th, '10, 14:21

I know, Victoria. I don't know what the deal is either. (I can't believe that I'm getting upset over TEA, but I am.) Honestly, I really expected this to be exceptional, and can't help but wonder if something is wrong here with my water, or my teaware, or my smeller... :shock:

If you'd be willing to send me a sample from your tin, I'll swap you something... maybe some of that Spring '10 Monkey Pick I got from NCTG? I really want to try this again, I'm hopeful that something is just off around here today.
Geekgirl

Postby Victoria » Jun 29th, '10, 14:39

OK, sure. :)
Victoria

Postby Chip » Jun 29th, '10, 14:51

Per my earlier PM (to Geek), I would also like to send you another sample of the Masters TKY after I try what I have. Unfortunately I am not sure which batch this is from. But I just smelled it and it certainly smells like the real deal ... I will brew some shortly.

BTW, all the teas were packaged and shipped at the same time with the exception of the shincha which was packaged ahead and placed back in cold storage awaiting the final "bonus selections."
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby nickE » Jun 29th, '10, 17:06

Geekgirl wrote:Frustrating. Maybe it's me? Or my water? or teaware? This has never happened before...

That is sad! :cry: The TKY was most likely my favorite of the whole Oolong OTTI. Hopefully you have better luck with a different sample/batch!

I'm still working on that AliShan review. I like to sample a tea at least twice before I write a review about it, just because my experience with a tea can vary a lot depending on the session.
nickE

Postby Chip » Jun 29th, '10, 21:06

OK, I am 99% certain that I have the 3rd batch of the Masters TKY (see my posts above). I filled the bottom of a gaiwan as I have which works out to about a gram per ounce water, though I did not weigh it out this time ... which I generally do not anyway.

Hmmmm. My results were somewhat not as expected, though I want to give it another go hopefully tomorrow.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby rhondabee » Jun 29th, '10, 21:49

Geekgirl:

That is interesting that you noticed that "mashed potatoes" smell also! I'm curious, so I'll try another pot tomorrow, to see if I get the same scent/taste. It definitely was unique tasting.
rhondabee

Postby Geekgirl » Jun 29th, '10, 22:09

Chip wrote:Hmmmm. My results were somewhat not as expected, though I want to give it another go hopefully tomorrow.

The plot thickens...
Geekgirl

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions