Funky water taste

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jun 29th, '10, 16:13

Funky water taste

by mbishop » Jun 29th, '10, 16:13

So just recently I noticed my tea had a slightly "funky" taste, like some kind of chemical. I thought maybe it was something to do with the oil spill (I do live in Louisiana, after all). But then I realized the water direct from the filter pitcher tasted fine, it was just water from my Utilitea kettle that tasted funky. I washed the kettle with vinegar and rinsed/boiled a few times, and tried again, but still the funky taste persisted. I then tried boiling some bottled water in the kettle, and the taste did seem to disappear mostly. The bottom of the kettle does have some small brown dots, but I'd think that would have been washed out with the vinegar...

Does anyone know what might be the problem, or has had this problem with the Utilitea kettle before? Also, is there a way to remove the top of the kettle so I can actually reach inside and clean?

Jun 29th, '10, 16:31

Re: Funky water taste

by Poohblah » Jun 29th, '10, 16:31

mbishop wrote:The bottom of the kettle does have some small brown dots, but I'd think that would have been washed out with the vinegar...
They will - just leave the vinegar there for 24 hours.

I experience the same thing with my utilitea kettle and I have to clean it out about once a year, or less often if I'm lazy.

Jun 29th, '10, 20:35

by nonc_ron » Jun 29th, '10, 20:35

mbishop wrote:So just recently I noticed my tea had a slightly "funky" taste, like some kind of chemical.
Could it be something funky in the tea itself. Funky things in tea are not that uncommon. It would be easy to check, just switch teas and see if the taste remains.

Jun 30th, '10, 02:52

by mbishop » Jun 30th, '10, 02:52

nonc_ron wrote:
mbishop wrote:So just recently I noticed my tea had a slightly "funky" taste, like some kind of chemical.
Could it be something funky in the tea itself. Funky things in tea are not that uncommon. It would be easy to check, just switch teas and see if the taste remains.
I actually meant "tea" in general, as both the teas I have right now (Den's Zuiko and Den's Houryoku shincha) both had the same weird taste. Also just the water tasted funny after boiling in the kettle and cooling off in a cup so I could taste it.

Jun 30th, '10, 17:48

by nonc_ron » Jun 30th, '10, 17:48

mbishop wrote:I actually meant "tea" in general, as both the teas I have right now (Den's Zuiko and Den's Houryoku shincha) both had the same weird taste. Also just the water tasted funny after boiling in the kettle and cooling off in a cup so I could taste it.
Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the pot.

Poohblah is probably right.
just leave the vinegar there for 24 hours.

+ Post Reply